Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I like vexing sphinx. It's cheap and big, but temporary. It's one of the more complex cards I've kept in my usually-played-by-new players cube, I always have to explain that the counters are added before they choose if they want to pay or not; he usually roadblocks for two turns then draws two cards in my games.

I adore tooth and nail.

Promise is "just another token maker" to me, and my players are usually sloppy with tokens so the whole card type is beginning to grate my nerves. It's not really viewed as wrath protection among my players since its ability is not a may; your opponent can force it to go off. It's not any different than killing a penumbra creature or mogg war marshal to make the board completely clear with your wrath.

I'll admit the engine with cycling lands is cool, but I still haven't found anyone of my drafters willing to actually play the cycling lands. Maybe if they came in untapped, maybe lost a life or something

The best way to make your drafters want to play something is to do it yourself and beat them. Sometimes people just need to be shown how it works and how good it can be before they want to do it themselves.

I like maelstrom wanderer much better for this kind of effect. Way more awesome :D
Speaking of this I have watched more games end with: wanderer INTO tooth and nail, pay the entwine cost, wait it works that way, yes it works that way, and the guys will have haste, yes they'll have haste, ok I concede.

What a way to write dialogue.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My worry for Tooth and Nail is that it requires you to fill your deck with too many expensive duders. You need like, two finishers in your hand or not in your hand, which is not always where my ramp decks want to be, curve wise.

Someone mentioned Aether Mutation a few pages back, but no one else really commented on it. I've personally never played it, but on paper it seems like it would only be good in slower, mid-rangey matchups. Any matchup where one or both decks are built for speed would not care for it.

I'll throw a card out there that my playgroup absolutely adores: Stolen Identity. When paired correctly with any evasive creature, this card can instantly put two copies of the best artifact OR creature on the table. Example: couple of weeks ago, I cast this as a Sword of War and Peace, ciphered this onto a Vampire Nighthawk, swung, and made a second Sword. My opponent scooped after his next draw step.

That's the part of Stolen Identity I don't enjoy, it just takes over too much if you don't happen to have an answer that turn.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've been thinking about that one, actually. It's a lot of mana to pay for a clone, but there's considerable upside if you have any kind of board presence, especially if it's evasive. I was already considering CML's Spitting Image suggestion, and this seems like it'd fall in the same ballpark.

edit to address Jonas's remark: I think I need to cut Progenitor Mimic for that exact reason - it's too Titan-esque and can dominate a game without much effort from its owner. At least Stolen Identity requires that you have some measure of board presence capable of attacking.

edit 2: wait you can just encode on the cloned creature hmmm hmmmmmmmmm

I've been thinking about that one, actually. It's a lot of mana to pay for a clone, but there's considerable upside if you have any kind of board presence, especially if it's evasive. I was already considering CML's suggestion, and this seems like it'd fall in the same ballpark.

edit to address Jonas's remark: I think I need to cut for that exact reason - it's too Titan-esque and can dominate a game without much effort from its owner. At least Stolen Identity requires that you have some measure of board presence capable of attacking.

edit 2: wait you can just encode on the cloned creature hmmm hmmmmmmmmm

It does lose a lot if you're not capable of attacking on the turn you play it, though. So it definitely rewards some measure of board presence, even if it doesn't require it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody play this bad mutha?
Image.ashx

Used to do it, but red's four slot is just so packed, and haste is just so so good at that spot. I could see it meriting further consideration if you push wildfire or red control more heavily, considering it just sticks around after a quake or wildfire.

Makeshift Mannequin is insane. Put it in when I started my cube, and never taking it out.

In this vein, I actually like Dread Return better. It can't be used as a combat trick, but being able to flash it back for no mana opens up really explosive and broken plays. For those supporting reanimator, the best play I've ever done with this card is dread return a fattie on turn 4 and then on turn 5, flashback dread return another fattie from my yard, sac'ing the in play fattie and two utility guys. Then cast Living Death to get back everything I just sacrificed (plus whatever was already in my yard). Note that whole sequence costs 5 mana.

While we are on the subject, I've never lost a game after a resolved Living Death. That card is silly.