Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I was brainstorming for a while if Razia's Purification could be a valid build-around for some sort of wildfire-esque R/W deck, but it just didn't seem to be there.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Firemane Avenger is basically exactly what I want a battallion trigger to do. I wish it were a little better on the front end, since phantom monster is not a great starting point for 2 color cards. We don't even cube the 1 color versions anymore usually (Voyager Drake hype?)

Firemane Avenger is a really powerful card. But the 3 toughness hurts it a lot (making it inconsistent in my experience). If you run a lot of removal (which my cube builds tend to do), it generally won't stick around long enough to demonstrate it's power level.

With haste, it would be a slam dunk IMO. Like amazingly good. Triggering battalion really isn't that hard in Boros, and free lightning helix's are just crazy.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, everything in RW seems bad. I'll give Brion Stoutarm a shot when I get around to buying one, though. I have no idea what situations the card is good in, but since a few of you like it, I'll try him and find out!

Anyone try this yet, say in the utility land draft? I have no idea from reading it whether it's effective or garbage, or somewhere in between.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, everything in RW seems bad. I'll give Brion Stoutarm a shot when I get around to buying one, though. I have no idea what situations the card is good in, but since a few of you like it, I'll try him and find out!

Anyone try this yet, say in the utility land draft? I have no idea from reading it whether it's effective or garbage, or somewhere in between.

Land - Locus

Has this card been talked about / used by anyone yet?

Getting caught up on posts, but I just cut this from my cube after trying it out for the last several months. Ultimately, it was too situational and inconsistent to really be worth a spot. Ended up replacing it with Brainstorm #4. The one time I built a strong control deck that wanted to get ahead on cards slowly, I cast it, and faced a hasty Mirko Vosk the next turn...

I think Mana Severance needs two things to work: a lower powered environment AND a slightly slower environment. My cube power level is roughly in line with what it wants (below the average riptider's), but the curve is still pretty low.

I'm really sad 3 mana Inspiration that can also just be a creature annnnnd can also be reanimated isn't good enough guys.......

Like I would love to be holding this on turn 5 with a counter spell or a piece of removal in my hand omg

?

Seems like it could be pretty dope.

I ran it for a while. It's dope.

See also Cave-In for a usually worse effect at sorcery speed.

e: this is assuming you plan on using this w/ Prowess, where the selection and speed of pyrokinesis far outweigh a control deck wanting to drop a planeswalker and wrath in the same turn, which imo is a bad thing to encourage. it's more fun than it is purely powerful, but that's because of the card disadvantage (exile in particular hurts in red, which i have very graveyardy), not the inability to hit players. I also have a bunch of x/1s though so it usually was at least card parity, and there are a ton of ways to leverage hidden info.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
idk if that's true, green decks usually have no shortage of big haymakers to cast and this bridges that gap in your curve nicely while also being a respectable threat sometimes

Biannual Reevaluation of Super Old Powerful Cards

Land Tax: Not good in modern magic. I can go into detail if you want.
Armageddon: ^ Has been bad for many years imo.
Hymn: Pretty unfun but rewards players for committing to black. I am currently testing Wrench Mind to see if it catches on so I can make that swap. Random discard is garbage.
Necro: Too slow for cubes where aggro decks are good.
The Abyss: Seems unfun but i've never tried it and don't plan to.
Nether Void: I actually like this card a lot more than Armageddon but it doesn't interest me.
Fork: No
Mana Flare: Only in combo cubes.
Gauntlet: Wont be played, too narrow.
Berserk: Pretty bad and not what green usually wants.
Drop: No
Vise: Very bad on average.
Ankh: Might be good with 20 fetches? It was shit last time I tried it. I would like to hear other's opinions.
Maze: Will single-handedly invalidate aggro in your cube.