Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
absurd assessment, +'ing to defend himself is huge, the ultimate is devastating, and the emblem is really powerful. this reads like FNMers saying "bad elspeth? you mean the one that only makes one 1/1 at a time??"

ashi can be very good but is much less consistent and much less powerful, another idea we had is that it'd be better in modern cuz goyfs and bobs only cost 2, and Cube CMCs mean that it would be worse in Cube than in Standard, where it's seeing little play
Hey CML can you stop saying absurd and ridiculous assessment before you get a site ban? I understand stand your points but think you could do well to post them much more respectfully.

CML

Contributor
Hey CML can you stop saying absurd and ridiculous assessment before you get a site ban? I understand stand your points but think you could do well to post them much more respectfully.

yo Wadds you'd post the same (esp. about a poster who had stuck around for a while) and feel the same, way plus there's a substantive sentence or two below. come on now, we've gotta be above getting all twatty on a third party's account, or else who the hell are we?

beyond that cut out the threats please, i have read much meaner and worse posts from actually everyone here incl. both of us

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
yo Wadds you'd post the same (esp. about a poster who had stuck around for a while) and feel the same, way plus there's a substantive sentence or two below. come on now, we've gotta be above getting all twatty on a third party's account, or else who the hell are we?

beyond that cut out the threats please, i have read much meaner and worse posts from actually everyone here incl. both of us

Look, the threat may have been unnecessary, but I am serious. I have had many good posters tell me they would post more often but feel that the tone here is too negative. I logged on this morning and read many posts that struck me as unnecessarily condescending.

I'm not going to say that I'm always perfect, but for my part these are the types of posts I try to make when disagreeing with people:
I don't actually believe this has to be true. If you have more cards that support multiple specific archetypes, you can run more strategies. For example, I'd point to doubling on something like Kitchen Finks to make both Pod and Lifegain more viable, while still working in your everyday decks. Replacing Diregraf Ghoul with Gravecrawler enabled decks that do cool sacrifice effects while still allowing for the "beat for 2" option. You increase design space by running multiples of flexible enablers.

You decrease design space if you double up on something super narrow. I don't think there are hard and fast rules here.

We're a small enough minority in the cubing world an are fighting an uphill battle. Let's not scare off our own.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Maybe I should post more, I'm an inexplicably positive person.

Actually I wanna back up CML here, I don't think he's out of line. What I really like about this site is people disagree without just shooting down out outside-the-box ideas, or even shooting down really conventional ideas. I really don't want a forum which is 90% back patting and agreeing. Now, pretty much everyone here either a.) writes good arguments or b.) posts complete messes of posts that don't much sense, and I think we're all a little guilty of each. But regardless, we're respectful. Except CML. CML is awesome, he's an asshole and he knows it, and he's not afraid to shout shit like this:

stevenson you idiot GW is the funnest guild and you have no excuse for not spicing it up with some KotR and Lilly surprise color lord and persist lifegain fuckface and relic-loathing exalted kitty-cat. AT THE VERY LEAST. "i wanted to make trostani good"??? WHAT KIND OF DESIGN FALLACY IS THIS?!?! there's like 20 selesnya cards i wanna run and you've chosen a Limited bomb, a vanilla 5/5, an impossible-to-cast aggro kryptonite, a colorless land that's barely playable, and a constructed modal card?? I AM OUTRAGED!!! (but voice is cool)
I laughed my head off (literally - I'm dead now) when I read that, I was so surprised to see someone on the internet be simultaneously angry and have a good point.
CML's been getting a lot of flak recently - not undeserved - but I think we need to appreciate his quality. CML, you gotta be careful though because you've been out of line a few times and push it all the time.
Anyway I'm the guy who won "most likely to befriend a klansman", so if I haven't noticed a negative tone here it's not really surprising.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Actually I do see a negative tone here: People won't stop bashing MTGS. I've said it a lot, but cut it out, dudes. "I was looking for some terrible design i saw on MTGS (sic)", cmon we don't need stuff like that. Post good designs.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I should post more, I'm an inexplicably positive person.

Actually I wanna back up CML here, I don't think he's out of line. What I really like about this site is people disagree without just shooting down out outside-the-box ideas, or even shooting down really conventional ideas. I really don't want a forum which is 90% back patting and agreeing. Now, pretty much everyone here either a.) writes good arguments or b.) posts complete messes of posts that don't much sense, and I think we're all a little guilty of each. But regardless, we're respectful. Except CML. CML is awesome, he's an asshole and he knows it, and he's not afraid to shout shit like this:

I laughed my head off (literally - I'm dead now) when I read that, I was so surprised to see someone on the internet be simultaneously angry and have a good point.
CML's been getting a lot of flak recently - not undeserved - but I think we need to appreciate his quality. CML, you gotta be careful though because you've been out of line a few times and push it all the time.
Anyway I'm the guy who won "most likely to befriend a klansman", so if I haven't noticed a negative tone here it's not really surprising.

Yeah, hmmm. Maybe I was in a piss mood this morning. Sorry for the unwarranted threat. I like CML being here but also think we need to be mindful of the image we project, and I certainly don't want to give anybody to reject our ideas because they are against our tone. Worse, I don't want people who agree with our mindset to leave because of that either.

I will also admit that I feel very protective of our new(er) members. I would have felt differently about some of these posts if they were aimed at me or Eric or Chris Taylor or Lucas or more of the "old guard".

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I also don't want to be so far into the "don't say anything negative crowd" that we become like the Starcraft 2 crowd and have to analyze whether every little thing is "good for eSports".

Somebody call me an asshole.

Fuck esports. Esports happen by accident, and the good ones happen whether things are good for them or not. For example, dota continues to be massive without being continuously pushed by its publisher. Every other current, big esport is garbage in comparison.

Except the fighting game scene who I guess are technically esports (cf: divekick) but have their own scene, and I guess the shooters can't all be crap.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ok back to discussing single cards.

This fits my +1/+1 counter theme (weakly) and the value graveyard strategies I'm still trying to design/develop (intellectually I'm at stage one: "I want a value graveyard strategy", practical I'm several stages ahead: "I guess I'll just throw some value reanimation spells in the cube and ETB creatures and see what happens" (nothing happens))
It also helps with the black devotion I want, who's only devotion card is a single Grey Merchant of Asphodel. Grey Merchant isn't a strategy, he should be good in midrangey black decks with incidental support (ie. good hybrid cards). Hence the question, is Golgari Guildmage any good? It's a bear with incidental value and a lot of flexibility, but it could just suck and I don't know.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok back to discussing single cards.

This fits my +1/+1 counter theme (weakly) and the value graveyard strategies I'm still trying to design/develop (intellectually I'm at stage one: "I want a value graveyard strategy", practical I'm several stages ahead: "I guess I'll just throw some value reanimation spells in the cube and ETB creatures and see what happens" (nothing happens))
It also helps with the black devotion I want, who's only devotion card is a single Grey Merchant of Asphodel. Grey Merchant isn't a strategy, he should be good in midrangey black decks with incidental support (ie. good hybrid cards). Hence the question, is Golgari Guildmage any good? It's a bear with incidental value and a lot of flexibility, but it could just suck and I don't know.

This is so obliquely supporting the themes that I don't know if you can really count it. 5-mana activations are super high, and even the first ability seems like it won't be profitable in many gamestates. At {B/G}{B/G}, this doesn't even seem like it was a high pick in normal limited, although I admittedly never played that format.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think Golgari Guildmage is mostly unplayable and this is coming from someone who thinks Stalker Hag is marginally playable. Those abilities just cost so much for so little. You'd have to be all in on devotion and sacrifice to even consider this card and I think you'd probably still be better served strengthening each theme individually. I think this card proves there is a point where trying to support multiple themes can go too far.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Golgari Guildmage is mostly unplayable and this is coming from someone who thinks Stalker Hag is marginally playable. Those abilities just cost so much for so little. You'd have to be all in on devotion and sacrifice to even consider this card and I think you'd probably still be better served strengthening each theme individually. I think this card proves there is a point where trying to support multiple themes can go too far.

It's an interesting case where players of each theme have equal demand for the card. Which is to say, no demand.

Don't worry, I'll live through CML's disagreements as long as they don't take up more than half a total page's length!

I'll admit I did write a response, but decided to just not post it; no one else seemed interested in the topic and I get the impression not much ever changes CML's mind.

That said I like to think I have thick skin on the feelings scale, I'm in a very... acidic(?) mtg community in real life with a lot of very opinionated, very skilled players that are mostly loud and/or insulting or callous whenever they communicate, so a LOT of new players get run out of the store/scene etc. Internet forums are weird (this is only one of two I'm currently posting on) and the three other people I have directed here have decided to not register for various reasons, but "I'm scared of getting my opinions smashed" wasn't one given to me (or admitted?) so I don't have any beef.

IN OTHER NEWS if you could only have (and I get the feeling most of you only have) one chandra, which would it be/is it? I've heard arguments for all (except ablaze) and I can't really make up my mind. I'm currently using Nalaar, as I feel she fits in ALL decks red supports, with her worst mode being "kill that titan" for five. People want firebrand as a minor build-around or pyromaster for plain old card advantage/flexibility. I just feel firebrand is the most narrow and pyro lacks the pure firepower (hurr) of the other chandras.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'll admit I did write a response, but decided to just not post it; no one else seemed interested in the topic

Not true! Now that it's at the forefront of my mind, thanks to the discussion on this thread, I'm reconsidering whether Ashiok could be playable in my cube. I'm usually interested in hearing people's arguments for or against the inclusion of specific cube cards, especially when the cards are a little bit off the radar, even if I don't respond to those posts with explicit agreement or disagreement.

As for Chandra, I've got her original version in my list at the moment. She's midrangy as all hell, but I like that she fits into the bigger red decks around here, and is never outright awful in any match-up, even if she isn't usually a game-breaking card, either.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I wish abalze cost 5. Seeing an all in red deck ritual that out and wheel their opponent down to 3 cards would be a hilarious standard/modern play :p

My favorite chandra is Koth