Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I love it. Got rid of Falkenrath Aristocrat because it was too fast of a clock and too easy to break with Gravecrawler and Bloodsoaked Champion. Dash is a great mechanic, getting a team boost to push through the last bits of damage is solid, and it's a reasonable top-end clock that isn't too difficult to interact with. Also blocks really well and can serve as a win-con in grindier Grixis builds or as the curve topper in BR aggro. Someone stole a Kolaghan with Dragonlord Silumgar last draft. It was pretty gross.

I'm torn because I really love Falkenrath. The sacrifice is really helpful in a variety of decks and the invulerability makes it surprisingly good in a control or midranged shell because it's a great blocker for only 4 mana or so. (I've saved a lot of life by taking a turn off from attacking to leave up a auger etc and a falkenrath). I also just don't think aggro decks really want 5s very much in the cube decks I play. Lastly I usually find outside of super blasting station plays etc BBr decks are some of the smallest least explosive aggro decks so it's nice they have a tool.

The sacrifice was super clutch in Eric's modern cube because of how meager the sac outs sometimes were in my pools and Conscripts + Aristocrat has been a benchmark of my grixis tempo decks for sure!

The Dragon on the other hand is a really cool card and plays super well with dragon themes (which I love) and token themes (which I am a big proponent of). My main problem with it is that I find hellriders / silverhearts kinda scary and lame (but that kinda explosiveness is it's own sort of attrition when taking drawing outs into account). I also think 5s in red decks have stiff competition and you can probably do better if you were looking for a stabilizing creature play.

I sort of like the idea of trying to shift more of reds 5cc haste creatures into multicolour to diversify a little, but then I remember how that would strangle and constrict red midranged decks even more. You don't want to be trying to make a sweet RG midranged deck only to remember you've gotta splash black and or blue for your 5 drops instead of probably picking up a relatively late stormbreath or sarkhan.

I see where you're coming from. Falkenrath is definitely a sweet card, but it's far too abusable in my cube so I've sided with the dragon and haven't looked back. I never saw Falkenrath in any non-aggro deck. It was always just there to beat face with a stream of Gravecrawlers to feed it.

On a side note, just how great has Tarkir block been for cube? I just quickly looked through my list and I've got 58 cards from the block not including fetches. That's amazing.

On a side note, just how great has Tarkir block been for cube? I just quickly looked through my list and I've got 58 cards from the block not including fetches. That's amazing.
As FSR pointed out, P/T just kinda went up across the board this block. Not surprising for a lot of the cards to become new gold standards.

Though I'll admit the mechanics are pretty great too. Exploit, Dash, Outlast, Prowess especially.

Pretty great- fair number of high-power cards, fixed cards (tormenting voice!!), and entire new archetypes for low to mid-power cubes. Morph is an unfortunate block-wide bust for some, but I'm pretty sure the sheer number of cards that slide into cubes outweighs any other single block's. Is there any statistics on this? Should we make some / does anyone care enough?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
+1, I love reading stats!

You might be able to use CubeTutor filters to see how many cards from this block are included in a given cube. Not sure where you'd go from there, but at least it's a starting point...

CML

Contributor
GODDAMN that is the easter egg of the century

you forum people never cease to amaze me

god germany is great. i'm only being kind of tongue-in-cheek when i say it should take over the administration of every other country and perhaps accept land as payment from the PIIGs.

god germany is great. i'm only being kind of tongue-in-cheek when i say it should take over the administration of every other country and perhaps accept land as payment from the PIIGs.
They already run the administration. At least they make the rules for it.

A lot of folks who frequent imageboard sites would have you believe the Jewish are the world's greatest evil. What's particularly interesting yet disturbing is how much shit they can fling as far as historical records and whatnot that APPARENTLY "prove their words true."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Israels current foreign politics are probably worse than most historical things that people can dig up, but I fail to see how any of it would make the Jewish people evil. Same for the Germans, though it's pretty much the other way around as far as current politics and historical events go. I will say that Germany is a very pleasant country to visit. People are generally nice, and there's a lot of beautiful places to see. Can't complain much about the first few years of that relationship either, though by the end the whole affair was getting pretty lopsided as the amount of free time I could spend on hobbies while she was around got ever smaller (please, do yourself a favor, and never get into a relationship where your girl/boy restricts you to 1 hour of computer time a day). Eventually I figured out this was definitely not as it supposed to be and ended up calling my mother in tears in the middle of the night when I realized, after venting my grief over the upcoming loss of my second true love in a long, anguished poem, that I was going to end the relationship. Miraculously we both ended up without hard feelings, despite me dumping her between her grandma dying and Christmas, and she later marrying my then best friend over there and getting his babies.

Dude, your ability to not have hard feelings when she has had your best pal's kids is hard for me to fathom. I would've wished them both well and told them to never speak to me again.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wow. From the depths of the internet rises another real person. Where do you live again?
Groningen, the Netherlands.
Dude, your ability to not have hard feelings when she has had your best pal's kids is hard for me to fathom. I would've wished them both well and told them to never speak to me again.
Well, that didn't happen overnight, and I met a lovely girl in the meantime. I don't speak her very often anymore, but that's because of the distance (out of sight, out of mind, right?). Then again, maybe the distance made it all easier!

Image.ashx

I've seen this is a pet card in MoshiMaro's cube. Anybody have any experience of it?

I've been having mixed results with this card. Ofcourse the combo with Aluren is insane.
Especially with wall of blossoms and a random other creature - it draws your whole deck.

It also acts as an enabler for storm:
- With either Alurenand 2 creatures costing 3 CMC or less or
- With 2 one drop creatures & earthcraft

Although Aluren by itself along with Man'o-War, Kor Skyfisher, Cavern Harpy also enables unlimited storm count.

I have succesfully drafted a UG tempo deck with a Brain Freeze as alternate wincon a few times now.

Overall it's not an all-star but I've always had a love for whacky combo's and like to offer my fellow drafters options to build whacky decks so I'm always trying to reserve some slots in my Cube for cards like these.

Other examples are Earthcraft (which also works nice with Cloudstone) sphere of safety (to support an echantment deck (only have to add in sigil of the empty throne) and I've also ran this:

Which is a lovely alternative win con in any deck with recurring creatures. Yes I'm looking at you Myr Battlesphere en Goblin Welder :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been having mixed results with this card. Ofcourse the combo with Aluren is insane.
Especially with wall of blossoms and a random other creature - it draws your whole deck.

<text>

Whoa, whoa. You don't read the thread title when you enter a discussion here. This is 115 pages of discussion of Israel and love lost. Contribute or GTFO.

No, stay. I found it hilariously jarring to be reading a long and then find an "on-topic" post out of nowhere. Your post made me look up and say "what thread is this again?"

Whoa, whoa. You don't read the thread title when you enter a discussion here. This is 115 pages of discussion of Israel and love lost. Contribute or GTFO.

Lol, oops - Single Card spotlight no? What's up with Israel and love lost (don't get it :)
Have I mentioned to many cards, the wrong ones, an artifact? :p