General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

magmaopus.jpg

BAM!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I love what they have done with WR in this set - it feels like something new and distinct rather than just the same militaristic combat focus. I do question how much of that is red's input - UR seems to have more overlap with it than WB does so far - but I'll take it regardless.

I hope 'spell reanimation' gets enough support that I can go all in on it, it's not far off

bateye.jpg
igneousinspiration.jpg

Flying
When Bat Eye dies, learn.
These definitely seem good enough for unpowered cubes. The bat is only playable if there is a black aggro deck in the format.

stonebindersfamiliar.jpg
cleverlumimancer.jpg

Good White aggro 1-drops. I love the dog, and it actually works with Blink decks.

Baleful-Domain-STX-265.jpg

Not really sure how I feel about this one. I'm a sucker for anything that can be cheap, because that tends to make it really strong. But maybe the card is just not worth the two mana.

Baleful-Domain-STX-265.jpg

Not really sure how I feel about this one. I'm a sucker for anything that can be cheap, because that tends to make it really strong. But maybe the card is just not worth the two mana.
The other 4cmc "Exile a creature or walker with upside" spells are playable in environments with a few walkers. Being able to kill a walker at a Doom Blade's mana cost seems really good, especially if it's something that needs to leave the board ASAP.

I think this card is like Force of Negation in that it is usually cast for it's full mana cost, but has the alternative cost for sticky situations. Baleful Domain seems good.

teachingsofthearchaics.jpg

This is another good lesson to learn. While it isn't good in every game, the fact that it doesn't take a deck slot means that it can be tutored for times when it draws two or even three times while not risking being drawn in games where it would otherwise do nothing.

For those keeping track, we have seen 12 lesson cards so far. 10 of them are easily playable, 2 of them are not (although I have heard people arguing in favor of one of them for some environments). I definitely think this mechanic has some legs for people who wish to include it, especially given the increasing number of good cards with learn.

Can someone explain to me the reason why Wizards have been doing colorless non-artifacts, non-Eldrazi cards lately?

It feels like they first took away one of the things that made Eldrazi special (Annihilator) and now they’re taking away the second thing that made the Eldrazi special (colorless, non-artifacts.) Am I missing something?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can someone explain to me the reason why Wizards have been doing colorless non-artifacts, non-Eldrazi cards lately?

It feels like they first took away one of the things that made Eldrazi special (Annihilator) and now they’re taking away the second thing that made the Eldrazi special (colorless, non-artifacts.) Am I missing something?
I belief the Eldrazi were colorless because they, lorewise, predated the concept of colored mana. This might very well apply to Wandering Archaic as well. It is archaic after all.

To be fair, I have no such explanation for the nonartifact colorless cards in other recent sets. I think it's just a sign that such a card has no particular allegiance to a certain color of mana, but also wasn't artificially created.

In Ikoria, they made colorless creatures as a means to flavor cards which would otherwise be artifact creatures as monsters and their spawn.

In this set, they are using colorless spells for two reasons. First, they needed a way to increase the number of instant and sorcery spells available to decks of every color. Hybrid mana helps with this a little bit, but colorless spells are what bring it in all the way. Second, they wanted to create a group of lesson cards that would represent the basic spells taught to students during their first year of school before they choose a specific college. Colorless cards are a great way to represent this, as every mage can now use these spells regardless of mana association.

Basically, the gameplay and lore needs have been intersecting in ways that make using non-artifact colorless cards the optimal design strategy for WOTC.

Yeah Train and Onde. I agree with you guys and I understand why Wizards did what they did.

In a few years, when we look back at past Magic, cards like Mysterious Egg will be absolutely completely forgotten. It will only serve as a way to water down the Eldrazi identity. After they moved away from annihilator, Eldrazies really only had that trait left.

But I guess all this is fine. Magic has to move on at some point. Now it’s Lorehold and Witherbloom and not Boros and Golgari :p

WB BG are coming.

Please give me good quad hybrids. I like the WB BG so far, so I'm pretty excited.

EDIT: Let's toss this in before WB and BG get loaded with goodies in the coming days
valentindeanoftheveinp.jpg

My playgroup isn't going to remember what both sides do, but I'm likely going to Sharpie a sleeve to make this a single faced card. Nice, restrictive effect that jams up graveyard decks without destroying them.

willowduskessenceseerp.jpg
embrosedeanofshadowp.jpg

There's been a +1/+1 counters deck in and out of the cube for BG on the backs of Winding Contrictor and Corpsejack Menace. These are both wordy and weird, but they might join the cube if that idea comes back.

silverquillapprentice1.jpg

Combat with this out will be tricky. Looks fun.

witherbloomapprentice1.jpg

Low impact effect. Pass for now. Maybe if I run BWg life gain one day, which I doubt.

thunderousorator.jpg

Another wordy one. As I said before, I've been a fan of this effect. Might not make it due to wordiness vs usefulness.

illuminatehistoryp.jpg

I don't know if I want another kind of token in the token box, but the card's pretty sweet.

curate.jpg

Easy add.

stonebindersfamiliar.jpg

Works in hate decks and in yard decks. Gonna have to test it.

extusoriqoverlord1.jpg

This seems a bit too good, unfortunately. Seems like a ton of value.

Conspiracy Theorist 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
When Conspiracy Theorist attacks, you may pay 1 and discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
When you discard one or more nonland cards, you may exile that card from your graveyard. If you do, you may cast it until the end of this turn.
2/2

Probably good. A little scary that it really wants to swing in.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah Train and Onde. I agree with you guys and I understand why Wizards did what they did.

In a few years, when we look back at past Magic, cards like Mysterious Egg will be absolutely completely forgotten. It will only serve as a way to water down the Eldrazi identity. After they moved away from annihilator, Eldrazies really only had that trait left.

But I guess all this is fine. Magic has to move on at some point. Now it’s Lorehold and Witherbloom and not Boros and Golgari :p
Well, they also have colorless + {c} in the casting cost going for them, I hope they bring that back next time

Well, they also have colorless + {c} in the casting cost going for them, I hope they bring that back next time

Oh yeah, that's right :) I totally forgot. They didn't have that the first timet they were introduced so I somehow forgot it but they exchanged annihilator specific colorless costs and devoid.