General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

thrillingdiscovery.jpg

Here's the White Draw Three effect.

thrillingdiscovery.jpg

Here's the White Draw Three effect.

No offense to you, Trainmaster, but it isn't. MaRo specifically clarified that it was monowhite when someone asked him.

Seriously, you're the fourth or fifth person who has jumped to that conclusion that I've seen so far, and I'd like to cut off this well of lies as soon as possible.

(Maybe actually being on Reddit for this spoiler season was a mistake...)

Feels like it should gain more life. The discard being a may and not being an additional cost to cast is nice.

At 4 mana I can't see this being pushed. Discarding Anger and Cruel Ultimatum with a Faithless Looting against an unsuspecting opponent is going to be the dream, I suspect. Magical Christmas Land scenarios aside, your opponent is going to see this coming most of the time, and most shouldn't have any trouble either removing this or putting a blocker in the way with more than 2 toughness.
That's fair. Even connecting and recasting two burn spells can be very brutal. Something like prophetic bolt + stoke the flames turns 2 damage into 10, and either of those spells can be used to clear the way. Maybe swingy is a little more accurate than pushed. It can be a middling double strike creature, or an enormous blast of value. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing!

While I like these RW cards, aren't they a bit of a stretch for the colors to be doing? Weenie or equipment graveyard interaction I could believe, but that 4 mana 'draw 5' feels like it's just a green card. As I look through all of them, I find that very few actually feel like a RW card.

c=rw o:graveyard

Feather isn't even a yard interaction.
Firemane is, but definitely an outlier card.
Gerard feels like Wrath protection, which I can see as RW
Mount is a weird Planeswalker-related card that was given some flexiblity.
Tiana is specifically for pants, which is believably RW.
Zenith Flare is a Helix variant that's counting the yard, not interacting with it.

Again, I want to stress that I like the designs, but I can't help feeling like a lot of them should have been WB or UR cards.

I'm happy to see control tools in WR. I don't like the divide between "control colors" and "aggro colors", or "control pairs" and "aggro pairs". UB is pretty good at both control and aggro-control, so I don't see why WR should be limited to aggro.

White in particular suffers from lack of card advantage and smoothing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While I like these RW cards, aren't they a bit of a stretch for the colors to be doing? Weenie or equipment graveyard interaction I could believe, but that 4 mana 'draw 5' feels like it's just a green card. As I look through all of them, I find that very few actually feel like a RW card.
Again, I want to stress that I like the designs, but I can't help feeling like a lot of them should have been WB or UR cards.

This could be an effect of the Lightning Helix vs Essence Drain. Both are technically in color, even if one vibes more than the others do.
White can regrow artifacts and enchantments, red can regrow instants and sorceries, and I assume white can get back planeswalkers (It's not something they've done a ton of, and white did get call the gatewatch/arena rector, so I buy it)

Together, you get the lightning helix equivalent of Restock

hofrighostforge.jpg

This dude is wild, probably broken somehow cuz anything that gives haste to creatures you have can create glitches, but I'm interested how it will pan out.
Also
returnedpastcaller.jpg

Now we know where WotC puts their hybrid mana symbol in multicolor cards (discounting cards like depose // deploy). The mountain touching the mountain, the plains touching the plains. Very interesting. Now we have something messing with mana in a guildlike set that original Ravnica didn't do.

White can regrow artifacts and enchantments, red can regrow instants and sorceries, and I assume white can get back planeswalkers (It's not something they've done a ton of, and white did get call the gatewatch/arena rector, so I buy it)

It makes a lot more sense when you piece it out rather than mentally putting it with the similar All Suns' Dawn or Seasons Past in the "mass regrowth" category.

Looking over the cards again, some still feel more WB or UR to me, but I can believe most of them as a RW card on an individual basis. I think it was a bit overwhelming to get hit with "Hey, RW is a yard deck now and loves instants and sorceries" all at once. Still a few cards I'm skeptical on, especially with WB and UR in this set.

I've always loved the Thunderous Orator type of card and this one seems plenty playable.

Pastcaller is really cool to see the mana cost as well as the tribal+ flexibility. Really happy to see them continuing making considerably less narrow tribal cards.

Speaking of tribal cards...
combatprofessor.jpg

This being a Bird and a Cleric and having 3 toughness and being super low powered is probably at home in my Onslaught cube. Bet that's one you didn't expect to see posted.

Has anyone heard of the plagiarism on Crux of Fate? Here it is in short:

A guy named Kitt Lapeña made a fan art of Nicol Bolas. You can see it here:
https://www.deviantart.com/scarypet/art/Nicol-Bolas-616965864

Then Wizards brought us Strixhaven and from there, the Mystical Archive masterpiece cards. Among them a Crux of Fate. Wizards of the Coast comissioned the art from the artist Jason Felix.

The fan artist Kitt Lapeña could recognize the Nicol Bolas on the art. You can see a video of the artist explaining how this is the same art here (scroll down a little bit to see the video)
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/202...-card-fuels-questions-of-plagiarized-art.html

It turns out he was right and the Bolas was stolen without the fan artists’s approval.

Wizards released a statement today on the situation. Here it is.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-crux-fate-2021-03-30

This seems to be the end of the line. I hope the original fan artist feels proud and that he was treated fairly in the aftermath.

I mean, white has always had some reanimaton flavor and red has always cared about spells in the yard in one way or another? Initially it was just sorceries, but now red has grown into one of the spells-matter colors and also one of the colors that's used flashback and similar (e.g. past in flames).

To me this feels like a very smart utilisation of things WR was already doing, just put into laser focus. Finally something more than 'weenie tokens with bonesplitter'

I mean, white has always had some reanimaton flavor and red has always cared about spells in the yard in one way or another? Initially it was just sorceries, but now red has grown into one of the spells-matter colors and also one of the colors that's used flashback and similar (e.g. past in flames).

To me this feels like a very smart utilisation of things WR was already doing, just put into laser focus. Finally something more than 'weenie tokens with bonesplitter'

Yeah. Red has this and white has that, but it doesn't feel very RW to me. That said, I am glad they're increasing the design space in a very shallow guild and I hope that they do the same for GU.

magmaopus.jpg

The Titanoth Rex of spell-reanimation.
  • You don't want to hardcast it terribly often.
  • It bins itself.
  • Powerful, but usually not game ruining, when cast early.

I'm not really a fan of the silly, modern look on most of the artworks so far and I don't think the setting (a bunch of happy people studying and playing games) fits the concept of an MtG game all that well. But I'm fine if that set between TSR and MH2 has less for me. However, I want to see one card, a green low drop (like a bear) with the following text: "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, learn"

Yeah, ravnic's still looking for more Wild Mongrels.

expressionofrepitition.jpg

Sorcery
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand, one at the bottom of your library, then exile the rest. Until the end of turn, you may play the exiled card.

This is a gassy draw spell! UR might make it a little tougher to fit into many cubes due to guild slot restrictions, but I think any URx deck would appreciate having this. Exiling a land to then play it is going to be a pretty common line, but it can get a lot better than that later in the game.