Sets [THB] Theros Beyond Death *SPOILER*

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Kuronos reminds me of Questing Beast: All power and no play.

Storm's fury looks strong. I'm not into the market for a 4 mana red wrath, but it is a four mana red wrath.
Fwiw despite being longer than most novels, QB.txt does actually play pretty well, if standard is anything to go on

escapevelocity.jpg

My uncle used to work for NASA until he retired last year. I bet he'd appreciate this pun...

As for the card, I like the idea of an aura that isn't pure card disadvantage, and this is at the right price point for me to test an aura, but this specific card ain't it chief. Red decks usually don't want to play something a turn late just so that they can... give it haste. If this gave trample I'd probably try it, but right now, it's probably not getting a test from me.

I'm hoping to see some Green and White cards tomorrow.

I like that weird black 3 drop that makes a goat, looks like something I killed in Dark Souls at some point. Creepy and Braids are going to be bffs.

I'm not quite sure of how to evaluate Escape yet. It's kind of like Delve, but most of the cards so far have high mana costs + escape cost aside from the Ox. I'm going to have to try them in action, not quite sure what the sweet spot will be.

There have been some really cool cards, but it feels more CMDR-centric thus far to me. Which I'm fine with since I'm in the middle of building an EDH cube. Gods are just so difficult to turn on in a typical cube that isn't leaning towards supporting devotion. Erebos is pretty cool, but I think I'd want more of a proactive card if I'm trying to beef up a grindy Aristocrats type strategy.

woestrider.jpg

Think again Velrun! I really like this design; it's a free sac outlet, it comes with two bodies, and it benefits from dying (or well, being resurrected), all for 3 mana.

Hahaaaaa nice! :) :D
Like the pun, like the card!

It's very dumb of them to print these kind of cards, but it's unlikely to be as broken as it seems at first glance. You need 8 cards in your graveyard for it to be better then Regrowth.

7 if you want to cast the same instant or sorcery spell twice.

Fwiw despite being longer than most novels, QB.txt does actually play pretty well, if standard is anything to go on
Ah, what I mean is that there's no decision-making with it. It's just good on all fronts. It doesn't require you to think or plan because it has haste, deathtouch, cannot be chump-blocked, kills planeswalkers and stops the random deck of its heyday (Fog.dec) for free.

It doesn't make the game worse or anything, but it's superpushed. I'm actually playing Gruul aggro right now on Arena and made it to the top 300s with it.

7 if you want to cast the same instant or sorcery spell twice.
Nice catch!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
aphemiathecacophony.jpg

Aphemia, the Cacophony
Legendary Creature - Harpy
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, you may exile an enchantment card from your graveyard. If you do, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
2/1

That is totally sweet! Great fit for my cube too, bridges the historic theme in white, and is a spicy option for Zur the Enchanter to find, especially the turn after he found a Dead Weight or a Seal of Doom! Not a bad drop on its own either, the stats check out!

(Also, the comments in this card's thread over on mtgs are a fucking cringe-fest o_O)

aphemiathecacophony.jpg

Aphemia, the Cacophony
Legendary Creature - Harpy
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, you may exile an enchantment card from your graveyard. If you do, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
2/1

That is totally sweet! Great fit for my cube too, bridges the historic theme in white, and is a spicy option for Zur the Enchanter to find, especially the turn after he found a Dead Weight or a Seal of Doom! Not a bad drop on its own either, the stats check out!

(Also, the comments in this card's thread over on mtgs are a fucking cringe-fest o_O)

It looks like they deleted the cringe comments on MTGS. What kind of stuff were they saying?

As for the card, I think it looks kind of cool. The floor isn't too low, and if you run any reasonable number of enchantments, it can get kind of out of hand. I think you only need to make like 1 zombie per game for the enchantment line of text to be worth it. I know a lot of power maxers aren't hot on this, but they also don't run many enchantments. I'm not sure I'll be running this, it kind of depends on how much THB makes me want to do enchantress again. The fact that this is an enchantment and a black card with the word "zombie" on it helps, and it's synergy with Dead Weight gives me a reason to play that worse Disfigure in my cube.

Conclusion: Aphemia is cool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It looks like they deleted the cringe comments on MTGS. What kind of stuff were they saying?

Literally the first comment in that thread was "looks like a feminist", which was quoted by someone with "the creature type even fits!" added. Yeah... Like, why? Ha ha ha ha, right?

Literally the first comment in that thread was "looks like a feminist", which was quoted by someone with "the creature type even fits!" added. Yeah... Like, why? Ha ha ha ha, right?

And the first moderator to respond left those (and others) up, while deleting a response to that (but left the response in a quote in another comment).

Really? I thought she looked more like a villain from The Handmaid's Tale. Oh well. To each their own, I guess. ;)

Roleplayer boi

miretriton.jpg

I'm going to have to disown Lazotep Reaver for this. Not really, of course, I just need more {1}{B} zombies in general and so I'll probably cut something else for this, but that's not the point.

I almost cubed Hand of Silumgar in the past, and Zombie Triton babe is that but with a Relevant Creature Type(s) and an ability that isn't useless for black decks. I don't think this is necessarily a Black Aggro card, but that's probably not important because Zombies is more of a midrange deck anyway.

Conclusion: Zombie Triton Babe good.

Green learned how to mill. Not super efficiently but still new territory.
Now white has learned to search for any Basic land and not just Plains. And doing so while not being behind on lands:

397C95BB-8C2F-4AFD-8C89-5C09D572A03B.jpeg

Translation
I. Search your library for a basic land, put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.
II. Create a 0/4 Defender artifact creature token.
III. Gain 2 life.

Green learned how to mill. Not super efficiently but still new territory.
Now white has learned to search for any Basic land and not just Plains. And doing so while not being behind on lands:

View attachment 2941

Translation
I. Search your library for a basic land, put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.
II. Create a 0/4 Defender artifact creature token.
III. Gain 2 life.

This card makes me sad. What deck wants this? It's slower and weaker than Wall of Omens. High power cubes don't want this because it doesn't give you action or a creature right away, and lower powered cubes would rather have the ability to blink the wall. I can only think that some enchantment decks might want this maybe- but most cubes don't really care about enchantments.

Also, I'm convinced that the uncommon sagas are a cycle at 1C. The Blue and Green cards both cost {1}{U} and {1}{G}, respectively. This costs {1}{W}.

I hope there's more than 10 sagas in this set. DOM had 14 sagas. I hope we get at least that many here, because Sagas are one of my favorite mechanics of all time.

Pretty sure it's a plains, not just any basic land. My Japanese is a bit rusty though.

If that is the case, then this is only semi-original :p

If this is any Basic land, then I think this card is stronger than Wall of Omens for Power max cubes. You would much rather have a tutor for land than a card draw early in the game. Artifact type is relevant. Gaining 2 life is also a bonus against aggro. In late game against control it is worse than Wall of Omens.

arastaofendlesswebs.jpg

"Lolth" {2}{G}{G}

Legendary Enchantment Creature — Spider

Reach

Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach.
3/5

I like this. Basically any pushed enchantment creatures in Abzan colors have my interest, because that's where my on-again off-again flirtation with enchantress themes lives.

wavebreakhippocamp.jpg

This is apparently a theme, there's also an uncommon 1U 2/1 that taps or untaps target nonland permanent with the same triggering condition, but this is the one I'm interested in.

nyxherald.jpg

This seems good in stomp.dec. A 3/4 trample for three is great especially since you can cast it from your turn 1 Llanowar Elves, and the fact that it can be used to pump up any enchantment or enchanted creature is Gravy. If there are more Green and White enchantment creatures in the set that are generically good like this guy, I can definitely see an enchantment deck working in my cube, at least.