General The Constructed thread

so TNN is making me unhappy playing rug delver even though it usually doesn't hit the board just the whole idea of having to care about it one way or another makes me unhappy to the point where ive basically stopped playing legacy.

in an effort to get back into it i need to find a new deck that fits the following criteria
1) does not care about TNN at all one bit whatsoever (so probably combo? dunno)
2) plays 4 force of will (and hopefully 4 brainstorm?).
3) does not get dumped on by graveyard hate like rest in peace or DRS
4) preferably does not suck and is also vaguely non-easy to play

money is not a concern i only play ppl w/ proxies, i cant afford even the "cheap" decks.

so what are my options? high tide? sneak and show? omnitell?

CML

Contributor
so TNN is making me unhappy playing rug delver even though it usually doesn't hit the board just the whole idea of having to care about it one way or another makes me unhappy to the point where ive basically stopped playing legacy.

in an effort to get back into it i need to find a new deck that fits the following criteria
1) does not care about TNN at all one bit whatsoever (so probably combo? dunno)
2) plays 4 force of will (and hopefully 4 brainstorm?).
3) does not get dumped on by graveyard hate like rest in peace or DRS
4) preferably does not suck and is also vaguely non-easy to play

money is not a concern i only play ppl w/ proxies, i cant afford even the "cheap" decks.

so what are my options? high tide? sneak and show? omnitell?

Miracles or Merfolk if you're baller

Chris Taylor

Contributor
"Having an answer" doesn't really strike me as "not caring" is all.
Like...running swords to plowshares doesn't mean I'm fine if my opponents have a bob in play :p

CML

Contributor
"fuck if i'm playing storm and he plays a 3/1 and attacks me with it seven times then i'll lose the game too so maybe storm cares! wait you mean fair blue decks are also good against storm and those run TNN?"

nitpick all you want but your definition is the same as mine, and miracles becoming a viable deck again is nearly all due to TNN.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
Yea fuck that card. I hate that that card exists. I don't play any legacy but yea if I did I would either run some broken combo deck or something with Toxic Deluge in it.

VibeBox

Contributor
ok, so comic town here in columbus is throwing a vintage tourney with unlimited proxies and guaranteed payout.
i don't play constructs at all and haven't in years really let alone stayed current on vintage, but with infi proxies i figure well i can just play whatever i feel is best (that i can pilot baked in a non embarrassing fashion being super rusty and all) so it's half decent value

i feel likely to enter and so with help from a friend i arrived at this list i'm tenatively calling "oath and vault" but maybe there's a name for this specific arrangementof combos so w/e

Oath and Vault
2 Griselbrand

3 Mental Misstep
3 mana drain
1 misdirection
1 memory's journey
1 ancestral recall
4 Force of Will
2 flusterstorm
1 vampiric tutor
1 mindbreak trap
1 abrupt decay

1 reshape
1 tinker
1 yawgmoth's will
1 demonic tutor
1 time walk
1 merchant scroll

4 oath of druids

1 Jace, The mind sculptor
1 Tezzeret the seeker

1 time vault
2 voltaic key
1 mana crypt
1 sol ring
1 black lotus
5 mox
2 Mox Opal

1 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty
2 Island
4 Forbidden Orchard
1 strip mine
3 tropical island
3 underground sea
1 academy ruins
1 tolarian academy

i chose this because i think two of the better things you can do are put a grisselbrand into play and vault key auto win, and if there's one thing i've learned from cube it's to do powerful shit as quickly as possible and don't be fair, so this is basically thopterdepths.

the other options i that i port my pet modern deck over and try to nivmagus elemental people on turn two or something. i would get to play berserk i guess.

haven't thought about sb yet but i imagine it starts with 4 leyline of the voids and 3 ancient grudge or some shit

i appreciate any vintage tips if anyone is familiar : -)

VibeBox

Contributor
i would like one more artifact in the list for the tinker count and whatnot and preferably something that works with these voltaic keys. so suggestions to that effect would be helpful
(edit: a single grim monolith maybe?)

i considered adding an iona and/or a blightsteel, undecided.

knowing pretty much 0 about vintage i think that's pretty funny that there are decks playing islands that aren't mana drain decks

Dom Harvey

Contributor
You can't cast it off land + Mox most of the time, a lot of decks play mostly cheap cards where you don't have a use for lots of colourless mana, and the UU cost is awkward if you're trying to use it to defend a spell.

You can't cast it off land + Mox most of the time, a lot of decks play mostly cheap cards where you don't have a use for lots of colourless mana, and the UU cost is awkward if you're trying to use it to defend a spell.
i immediately understood why once i had read him saying it, but i still think its pretty interesting as it's one of the most hideously powerful cards i can think of