The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hey, I'm making high quality proxies of the fixing lands in my cube, and I'd like your opinion on the art:

I've got a little voting quiz below, and like a good democracy, you're allowed to vote for multiple parties! If you like more than one art, select them, and if you think they're all bad, don't vote on the question.

https://forms.gle/rTzqCDGa6QjPcbTc9

Here's a few I'm not taking votes on since nobody's going to change my mind:
038 - Tropical Island.jpg035 - Taiga.jpg011 - Flooded Strand.jpg

Oh, and ignore the rarity, that was for my sorting purposes only. Kinda hard to navigate around a 70 card set that's 100% lands.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
These are not staying but I probably ought to show y'all anyways :p
Investigators Tools.pngCryptologists Tools.pngGraverobbers Tools.pngShamans Tools.pngScouts Tools.png
These are a bit inside baseball, as they're referencing these:
3hQfip4.jpg
RZa9xsf.jpg
WDwjt3q.jpg
062 - Ancient Mantra.jpg091 - Tracking.jpg

These were in as an alternate take instead of the Signet Coupon cards I'd been running. Unfortunately since artifacts is an actual theme I'm running (in {U}{B}{R}) two of these are at specifically reduced value.
I like the idea of mana rocks that are a bit more than just a mana rock, but I'm not sure where I want them to end up. Part of the reason I put in the signet coupons in the first place was because it felt frustrating drafting when the specific one you needed was in the undrafted portion, or got first picked on a whim by someone who didn't end up using it, or the only one you saw was gruul signet (I dunno which signet is the worst one in the dark)

I'm also unsure of how good the fixing on mana rocks ought to be. Signets are alright fixing wise, but they can be awkward to sequence with and they have the draft issue above.
I don't love coldsteel heart either, since remembering a color is frustrating as well, even if it fixes basically exactly the way I want it to. Maybe there's a solution that's closer to rampant growth, but that feels less colorless and DEFINITELY feels less artifact-y
I could just make them city of brass but I feel like that just allows 5 color nonsense even more than signets do.

Maybe Fellwar Stone or Star Compass?

Also, having played Dom's cube, he added triples of Arcum's Astrolabe and Icehide Golem with the caveot that all basics are snow
It plays REALLY well, though I'm not really content to tell people a global rule when drafting my cube, which is weird enough as it is.

Thus:
Iron Golem.pngGem of Simplicity.png
I think bootman is responsible for the mechanic name?
After the first playtest I'm not sure Iron Golem really belongs, but Gem actually fulfils a nice role in drafting by offering fixing to people who are sitting next to people who routinely draft 15+ nonbasics (We all know somebody like that)

You could slot in some iron golems and cut the otherwise parasitic 1 drops from other colors, but all my 1 drops have nice synergy text on them because I'm a restless overdesigner.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alright, new update! Managed to fit the 5 archetypes I like on one wheel, so now the setup is:
{B}{R}{G}: Aristocrats
{U}{W}{R}: Prowess
{W}{B}{U}: Artifacts
{B}{G}{U}: Graveyard
{W}{R}{G}: Proliferate

Aristocrats in green is odd but not impossible, and having a dedicated token deck that doesn't involve white is going to be interesting. I gotta make sure I don't accidentally add in enough white cards by accident that the better option is to play against the grain, as happened with artifacts
093 - Corrupt Captain.jpg
This card was singlehandedly better than going red, so artifact decks were esper rather than Grixis like I'd planned.

Speaking of white artifact cards, I got to add in some of my own this time:
021 - Secluded Academy.jpg
This was inspired by Tome of Legends (Bootman I think that's yours?), but since my token deck is green not white, I opted for something different. I've always hated Ghostly Prison, but this seems much more paletable.

063 - Emberheart Kami.jpg
A friend of mine suggested this to me (I almost named it lava darter, as I'm sure it was playtested as such). I don't have designer credit at the moment, as I don't think it was hers, but I was about to add grim initiate, and I think this is a lot more in line with the power level I'm working on.

073 - Yet More Goblins.jpg
And to think I was just complaining about lingering souls a few posts ago :p Two main differences here: no flying is a big deal and the original playtest flashback of BB is a lot more reasonable.
Also I'm taking suggestions for a new name :p

Durgob the Mad General.png
I'm back on the idea of 3 color cards as archetype signaling, so here's the Jund Aristocrats payoff. It's possible it doesn't need the activation cost, but I've never really loved the design of attrition anyways, even if I respected how powerful it was. 2 Creatures is a lot more palatable, and menace works nicely with the ability.
Maybe he should give teamwide menace? It is 3 colors.

096 - Tamiyo the Observer.jpg
11th hour designs make it to print :p
Tamiyo, Collector of Tales is almost the kind of card I want for my cube, but the plus really doesn't work well in limited, and really really doesn't work well when I keep changing the names of cards on people, so we need something different there. As well, her passive does very little in my cube, and is a huge pain when it does come up because it just nullifies already bad cards.
This is...marginally better. Anyone who's played with Dak Fayden knows how fast you can turbo fill your graveyard with that plus, and he didn't have a passive to make it work even harder. It's a blunt design, and it might be too good, but I think it works better in my environment than Collector of tales.

Benthic Preadator.png
This however, I'm a bit less proud of. 1UG, keyword: Big.

And yes I know that this is basically half a lord of extinction so one might argue it could be black but anything with the word "graveyard" on it feels black, and I need {U}{G} graveyard payoffs.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
New cards with this patch:
Arcing Exoskeleton.png
1B 3/2 which enters tapped, but also demonmail hauberk your opponent sees coming. I had this in before and it feels fair for how cheap it is.
Also incidental artifacts, even though the artifact deck doesn't really want this.

Falkenrath Bloodsworn.png
I like falkenreath noble, but my drafters commented that flying was a bit inevitable for a deck that already did the aggressive early game so well.
I've toned down the early game of the aristocrats deck anyways, but might as well throw in this edit while I'm there.

Lion Temple Guard.png
Elite Scaleguard, but works with prowess as well as counters.
I think 3/4 bolster 1 is better than 2/3 bolster 2? It's unboltable now, no matter where the counter goes.

Nathess Prime Negator.png
Honestly a decent amount of the artifact support in white happens to be tokens anyways, and curse of death's hold always plays better than it looks.
I'm sure someone will say he ought to be a 2/3 that pumps himself and we'll get into an argument.

Spore Migration.png
Even if this is too strong (I've always found raise the alarm too weak) it's going to take so much nudging to get people to play aristocrats decks that AREN'T black red that I'm willing to try it anyways.

Tamiyo the Observer.png
GAH DANGIT. Okay pretend there's no shuffle clause on the first +1
Tamiyo attempt #2. Maybe I should opt for another ability? Frost Lynx something as like a -2?
It's really flexible at that point, but maybe that's worth doing?

Wailing Spectre.png
Prowess/Graveyard overlap, though a bit aggressive for the more mid-range graveyard decks.

Yavimaya Guardian.png
[Crosspost from the custom cards thread]
Okay I'm not wholly happy here since all 3 things this card does are green. Gameplay wise I like it but this card isn't blue in the slightest.
Maybe it should just have flying?
I don't want it to call to mind, since a lot of the self mill deck is specifically creatures
Maybe it mills you and then you choose? That'd be blue.

I dunno yet.
Also yes swamp waifu. Artists are weird

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Once I get a spare minute I'll edit in some commentary
Also goddamnit planeswalkers are hard. It's just supposed to be careful study. The shuffle being on that ability was a relic of when it REALLY turbo'd cards into your yard:
096-tamiyo-the-observer-jpg.2708

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yavimaya Guardian feels wrong. You're right that the blue mana is not justified by its abilities (not even a bit). Maybe add an option to mill someone based on the number of creature cards in your yard? Or add an Unsummon ability. Or replace reach with something blue. Maybe flying, or a staticability like surveil 1 whenever you cast a creature card, or either self-bounce or untap lands like Palinchron (maybe with lower stats). Or maybe the bullets should self-mill before they do their stuff, maybe netting you more life or another creature card to "draw" (be sure to replace "target" by "a" in that last ability if you do this).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Described by one of my drafters as "delver, but without all the work"
If you use the mainframe template in MSE, you can enter an offset for the text in the style tab (be sure to check the check box "for this card only"*), so you can lift that text above the P/T box.

*I'm doing this off the top of my head, so the label might be slightly different, but you get the idea ;)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting.
I've got the mainframe templates, but I've always just added spaces on the end to keep the vertical justification the same while keeping text out from behind the p/t box.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Heh, nice to see you've borrowed a bunch of ideas from that cube I found. It had some really neat designs! Prison Ship, Offering to the Oversoul and Cultivator Druid are probably my favorites :)

Pena Protector is a nifty design as well. I tend to like fabricate best in the colors that can better utilize the multiple bodies. Is green capable of doing that in your cube? Because this could just as easily cost 1B with a little reflavoring.

Nitpick 1: Is there a reason Ascendant Exorcist uses the old wording for its ability? Nowadays it would be one ability that ends with "until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield", like Prison Ship does.

Nitpick 2: Dreamweaver should start with "Dreamweaver gets", not "Dreamweaver's get" (I'm guessing you started out with a P/T-setting ability?)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah Jund gravecrawer, so the tokens deck is RG.
Good catch on Dreamweaver!

I think Exorcist just looks that way because I copied it from angel of serenity?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So one perk of going all digital since you cant draft in person anymore: you get to alter cards you might not otherwise bother with, since you have copies already:
Academy Ruins.pngDire Fleet Daredevil.pngEternal Witness.pngSnapcaster Mage.pngTarmogoyf.pngVolraths Stronghold.pngYoung Pyromancer.png
I think "Snipcaster Mage" is my favorite :p
I've also added the arts from my earlier project (link up the page)

Also: more triome improvement!
Cloistered Triome.pngUntamed Triome.pngViolent Triome.png