General The Draft Exchange

Oh my. That is amazingly awesome, and really helped me recognise how unloved my Scuttle-Cube feels. That said, watching you stumble through it with no idea of how the underlying themes and interactions worked was incredibly enjoyable.

I am concerned about this level of content escalation though. First it was 'Hey, I drafted this UB control deck, it seemed sweet, but I would have liked to see xyz', then pick by pick breakdowns, now video content of whole drafts. Next year we will see the 'Ok, so I traded for the cards I was missing from Aoret's cube, and have been running it a league at my LGS for the last 6 months. I marked all the cards with RFID tags, so I can track the precise pick orders, and simplify everyone recording their decklists. I was working with Vince Pendrell around data gathering and visualisation, and I am happy to make all of the following suggestions...'
I am all for escalating this thread to those levels and beyond. I wish I had internet at home (besides on my phone obv) so I could help get it there.

Aoret

Developer
Oh my. That is amazingly awesome, and really helped me recognise how unloved my Scuttle-Cube feels. That said, watching you stumble through it with no idea of how the underlying themes and interactions worked was incredibly enjoyable.

I am concerned about this level of content escalation though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I definitely stumbled quite a bit, especially in the scuttle cube. I consider myself sort of an average drafter; I have good drafts and bad ones, I'm not the best at picking up themes as I go if I've gone in blind. I was a little hard on myself about that after recording the scuttle cube, but in retrospect I think it's actually probably helpful to have drafters of differing skill levels doing these. I'm the sort of cognitive archetype that does much better if I have time to turn something over in my mind a lot and plan; I tend to do poorly if put on the spot, so something like drafting a new cube is pretty rough for me as compared to my draft of your primary cube, which felt much more familiar and goes the most smoothly of the three.

As far as content escalation, I definitely don't want anyone to feel pressured to do videos. My motivation was basically what Kirblinx described - it's a lot easier for me to just create the content during my draft. My only concern was whether it wasn't as consumable or desirable, but it seems like that's not an issue. I guess ultimately having some variety here is good as well. There are times when I'm unable to watch a video and written reports are a better content form for me. There are other times when I just want something super bite-sized and so deck screenshots are cool.

Aoerot use audacity to take off the annoying backround hissing !

Awesome that you recorded picks, it gives a lot more information for cubers, well done!

What music was in the background, was it from spotify ?

Good tip on the software. I'll have to look into getting audacity or something similar working for live-streamed audio. If you have some experience with this and want to write (or point me towards) a guide, I'm all ears!

As far as music, I just have a playlist of instrumentals, mostly tending towards jazzy hip hop or chillhop. If you like it, you should probably look into Nujabes. I think I also have a few Kendrick Lamar instrumentals, but I'm not sure whether it's the same producer on those tracks so I can't point you in as good a direction there.

NUJABESSSSSSSSS
RIP
SO GOOD

Here, I should actually post a draft if I'm going to keep posting in here. I'll edit this post in a sec with a draft of Aoret's and a shocking dearth of commentary.
http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/517500
Didn't have time to analyze or finish this before I had to leave, but it's a BUG deck possibly splashing white that revolves around Snapcaster Mage, Tasigur, and Reveillark. Greedy AF because I've been playing so much Hearthstone lately where mana isn't a thing

Aoret

Developer
Drafted yours psly4mne, can't video atm so text picks. Some concerns about power band but deck looks fun.

Picks:
curse of predation over pws, necropotence, goblin bombardment
fauna shaman over tropical island, bbe, sower
mother of runes over dryad militant, arbor elf
fiend hunter over wall of roots, off color cards
voice of resurgence over omnath, comeuppance
goyf over bonehoard, quarantine field
strangleroot geist over reclamation sage, acidic slime
angelic destiny over nissa, vastwood seer, act of aggression
primordial hydra
bbe over craterhoof
dryad militant over arbor elf, soltari champion (anti synergy with goyf which is sorta gross but I needed one drops)
canal dredger over wall of roots, my deck doesnt want to block or ramp
comeuppance, probably wont play it
bonehoard, same
bonefire of the damned, may splash this OR bloodbraid, but not both which is kind of funny
archangel avacyn over garruk relentless, armada wurm
elspeth knight errant over clifftop retreat, monastery mentor (this card is filth omg)
cloistered youth over gideon for curve reasons
stirring wildwood over anafenza, o ring, mirror entity
warden of the first tree over phyrexian revoker, sun titan
bird of paradise over advent of the wurm, plow under, citadel siege
sylvan advocate over mardu woe reaper, creakwood liege
rancor over evolutionary leap
armada wurm, may not play, unsure
clifftop retreat
wickerbough elder
anafenza
ankh of mishra
disenchant
enlightened tutor
thalia over joraga treespeaker despite having some noncreature spells
deathrite shaman over boros charm, leonin relic warder, precinct captain!
hallowed spirit keeper over scooze, managorger hydra
sublime archangel over savannah, woodland wanderer (possibly wrong)
brimaz over resto angel, baneslayer (brimaz?! now I'm really looking sideways at your power band...)
wild nacatl over student of warfare
path to exile over taiga, needle spires. I guess I don't want to splash red cards?
thragtusk god really
joraga treespeaker
precinct captain
scooze
captain's claws
sakashima's student
DoJ
Hellspark

deck:
psly4mneDraftResized.jpg

My power level is definitely higher than the norm for Riptide. I've tried to keep it at a level where the colors and major archetypes are balanced against each other, which has meant trimming out a few high-power cards, but the remaining bombs are still very bomby.

Aoret

Developer
It's not so much a power level gripe as a power band gripe. I think we're learning (lately, at least) that this is actually more of a spectrum or at the very least a two schools of thought kinda thing. I fall pretty firmly into the camp that says drafting is less interesting when there are clear bombs in the packs, though I do acknowledge the thrill aspect of opening up something sweet.

It's probably just a preference thing

Drafted Aoret's 360

Draft:
1_01 Mox Diamond over Day of Judgment, Everflowing Chalice, Rancor. pack has both remand and memory lapse
1_02 Savannah over Sarkhan the Mad or Brainstorm
1_03 this is one of those packs that suggests an entire deck: Oblivion Ring, Terminus, Knight of Reliquary, Courser of Kruphrix... not much experience with Terminus so the pick is O-Ring
1_04 here it's Deathrite Shaman or Lotus Cobra (or Reveillark or Maelstrom Pulse). Deathrite
1_05 Bomb pack for black. Damnation, Dead Mikaeus, Drana Liberator. Damnation
1_06 Scrubland, noting the Life from the Loam, the Crucible of Worlds, the Temple Garden.
1_07 Plateau here, sad that we can't get Magma Jet, hopeful that Wild Nacatl could wheel.
1_08 Figure of Destiny or Anger of the Gods? or Carrion Feeder? Seeing Carrion Feeder and remembering seeing Gravecrawler, took Anger of the Gods
1_09 we're back around and Rancor's still here. But we'll take Innocent Blood, committing to control
1_10 Sarkhan the Mad over Thalia
1_11 Green's still here, all of it good - Duskwatch Recruiter, Briarhorn, Reliquary - but we probably aren't green. So we take Emeria Angel
1_12 Reveillark over Containment Priest
1_13 Tuktuk is a nice pickup, despite the negative synergy with Anger of the Gods
1_14 Temple Garden
1_15 Wild Nacatl

2_01 big pack, Arcangel Avacyn, Firebolt, 2nd Deathrite, Flametongue Kavu, Banisher Priest, Flickerwisp, Magma Spray. Took Avacyn
2_02 Path to Exile
2_03 Inferno Titan or Wrath of God? At this point we only have Tuktuk and Anger in red. took Titan
2_04 Imposing Sovereign over Condemn. Note Abbot of Keral Keep
2_05 Galepowder Mage doesn't have a ton of synergy with our deck yet, but neither does the 3/3 custom Magus of the Wheel, so it's Galepowder
2_06 Have to choose between Arlinn Kord and Fiery Confluence. took Confluence
2_07 2nd Anger of the Gods seems good here, better than Sublime Archangel
2_08 so here we have Toxic Deluge or Priest of the Blood Rite.

Our black to date has been Damnation, Deathrite, Innocent Blood, and Sarkhan. Deluge is crazy good, but we already have board clears in 2x Anger, Fiery Confluence, and if we're in black, Damnation. Priest of the Blood Rite would be good with Galepowder, Reveillark, Sarkhan, but the {B}{B} is gonna be a challenge. If it weren't a cubetutor deck I'd probably take Deluge but here I took the Priest for the funsies.

2_09 Banisher Priest over Goblin Dark Dwellers
2_10 Spectral Procession. Woulda been good with Dwellers
2_11 Wrath of God's still around
2_12 Unexpectedly Absent seems good
2_13 Spear of Heliod for our sideboard over Suture Priest
2_14 Cataclysm
2_15 last pick Become Immense

I guess we're building a deck that can fill the board with tokens and then nuke them all? Not sure

3_01 Angel of Serenity is a good finisher, Alesha who Smiles is in our colors, Wall of Omens is always good. Took lightning bolt though
3_02 Sacred Foundry here, looking at Fabled Hero to wheel and Birthing Pod for what might have been
3_03 Mox Diamond over Sin Prodder over Ajani Caller
3_04 Want Angelic Destiny, Hallowed Spiritkeeper and Lightning Helix, which one will wheel? Probably Helix, but that's also the sure thing here. Took it
3_05 Mirror Entity always good
3_06 Blood Crypt over other sideboard cards, might still be in black
3_07 not really our pack. Double Mystic Snake, Gitrog Monster, Tezzeret Agent - took Pitiless Horde for the Pitiless Sideboarde
3_08 All three from 3_01 are still here. Took Wall of Omens because I think I need draw at this point
3_09 Soulfire Grandmaster a very sweet late pickup
3_10 Sin Prodder
3_11 Sideboard or cut? Took Swift Justice for the sideboard
3_12 Hallowed Spiritkeeper
3_15 Parish champ

Deck: WR board wipes

We should have a good matchup against aggresive decks, at least.

Aoret

Developer
Interesting draft! The double mox is pretty scary. Brings up an interesting point; when I run these they're usually run as my "18th land". Opinions on that?

Also random sidenote but normal Magus of the Wheel is a 3/3 :p I just made that super art render for fun.

Drafted Genericco's Sib cube.

P1p1 - Bloodbraid Elf. Cannot pass this card, one of my pet cards and for me good enough to pick it over some mono color powerhouses, such as Counterspell (maybe the 'right pick' here), Sublime Archangel or Languish.
P1p2 - Farseek. A lot of good white cards, like Mikaeus, Silverblade Paladin and Oust, and there is some boros land fixing. So maybe going 3 colors is an option and I'll go Naya. For now, I'll stick with fixing for GR.
P1p3 - Tarmogoyf. Nice to pick some good early game soon and there are few cards that I think are good at this point. There is a Goblin Guide if the deck turns out more tempo based, and white cards for more Naya action.
P1p4 - Birds of Paradise. Great fixing and ramp early on. There is a Roast, Sylvan "budget goyf" Advocate and another Goblin Guide which I'm fine with wheeling.
P1p5 - Yavimaya Hollow. Great card to keep value creatures on the battlefield. Other option in this pack would have been Burst Lightning. I'm thinking this deck will be a midrange/ramp deck with some possible burn so that would be good too.
P1p6 - Briarhorn. Nice value card and quite flexible. Some green cards that are not quite good enough in the pack and I feel it's a little early to start cutting cards like Vampiric tutor.
P1p7 - Dromoka's Command. Another pet card of mine that's really nice to get rid of pesky O-ring effects and is almost always high value. Guessing Naya becomes a realy option, although I've not picked up any lands for fixing.
P1p8 - Windswept Heath. Well there is some land fixing.
P1p9 - Increasing Savagery. Good value (5/5 for 4) and might pick up some +1/+1 counter synergy later on.
P1p10 - Arid Mesa. Alright, is the fixing remains this good then I'm sure going Naya.
P1p11 - Brimaz, King of Oreskos. Wow, can't believe this wheeled. Maybe this becomes GW with a splash of red.
P1p12 - Kytheon, Hero of Akros. Good card on its own, but some good synergy with Brimaz too. Nice to pick that up so late.
P1p13 - Snakeform. Some decent removal when I'm in green.
P1p14 - Orim's Chant. Never played this card, but looks pretty sweet. Not sure if it's maindeck material in this deck though.
P1p15 - Crib Swap. Removal in white, nice.

P2p1 - Sun Titan. Just too good to pass and white becomes more prominent in the deck for sure now. Rancor hopefully wheels, and there's also Darksteel Ingot and Luminate Primordial as a potential finisher.
P2p2 - Arid Mesa. Another one of those is very welcome, not a lot else going on in this pack.
P2p3 - Nissa, Vastwood Seer. Crazy pack! Gilded Lotus (probably the right pick), Mizzium Mortars, Sacred Foundry, Mana Confluence and Wilt Leaf Liege...not sure what I want to wheel, probably the Lotus or Liege.
P2p4 - Rampaging Baloths. Needed some late game finishers. Great with the fetch lands and Nissa and generally the ramp character of the deck. Manamorphose is very welcome to wheel though.
P2p5 - Canopy Vista. Great card to fetch and GW fixing is lacking still.
P2p6 - Wooded Foothills. So much fixing, I love it! Well, now it kinda needs to stop because I'm low on playable spells but I'm well on my way to a good Naya mana base.
P2p7 - Student of Warfare. Great 1-drop in this rampish deck, works well as a mana sink to get a decent creature pretty fast.
P2p8 - Journey to Nowhere. Sweet early removal.
P2p9 - Luminate Primordial. Rancor wheeled as well but I think this is a really sweet ramp target (and removal on a stick) and there's not a lot of early creatures to put Rancor on anyway.
P2p10 - Double Cleave. Could work as a finisher of one of the fatties in the deck.
P2p11 - Wilt-Leaf Liege. Really nice to see that one wheel, gives your mana dorks a bit more oumph and solid with the multicolor cards and Brimaz.
P2p12 - Manamorphose. Sweet, a card that replaces itself and fixes mana for this 3 color deck? Sign me up!
P2p13 - Flamewake Phoenix. There are some beefy cards in this deck so it could be quite easy to make this an annoying little creature.
P2p14 - Mul Daya Channelers. Wow I missed that the first time, great to pick that up this late. Green and red seem very open.
P2p15 - Phantasmal Bear.

P3p1 - Sylvan Library. Great! Other options here are another Wooded Foothills (would really like some more dual fetchable lands) and Siege Gang Commander for some reach.
P3p2 - Noble Hierarch. Another mana dork, great to see. Still a little thin on the top end though.
P3p3 - Natural Order. Enough dorks and tokens to sacrifice. Xenagos the Reveler is in the pack too, I'm guessing (hoping, honestly) that it will wheel.
P3p4 - Revoke Existence. Some enchantment and artifact hate is something the deck didnt have.
P3p5 - Funeral Charm. Well I screwed up. CubeTutor got stuck and I click on accident...
P3p6 - Hyena Umbra. Not a big fan of Auras but this could be nice since we don't have a lot of creatures.
P3p7 - Cultivate. More ramp and more fixing nice. Need to pick up some more late game!
P3p8 - Temple Garden. Scryland is something I've not picked up.
P3p9 - Wooded Foothills. Wow such a sweet mana base! Glad I picked up that Rampaging Baloths.
P3p10 - Wickerbough Elder. Alright some more hate cards.
P3p11 - Duskwatch Recruiter. Some creature filtering is sweet in this deck, since it's not that creature heavy.
P3p12 - Hallowed Spiritkeeper.
P3p13 - Remand. Hate drafting this.
P3p14 - Serenity. Will not use this, since I want to run Sylvan Library.
P3p15 - Epochrasite. Could work?

Allright, I think I made the right decision to go three colors (GWr/Naya) and it was really easy with such a good mana base in this cube. [URL=There aren't that many creatures, but those that are in are really high quality. Nice synergy between the ramp spells (and fetch lands) and Rampaging Baloths, which may be cheated in quite early with Natural Order. Quite a versatile deck and seems like a lot! of fun. Not sure whether GR aggro/tempo would have turned out better but I guess this would work. Kinda wanted to see some more finishers or late game, but there were few to begin with and nothing came wheeling back. Like the cube, some really fun/flavorful cards that kept me on my toes during the draft. Cool!

Drafted MDT12's: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/519552

It's a Jund deck with a heavy sacrifice/recursion theme and a few ways to steal opponent's critters, most notably Yasova <3
In fact, I first-picked Yasova, second-picked Varolz, and from there I was all in. Loved the fixing and the support for this theme. I would like to see some consideration towards reducing the number of tough mana costs (notice all the XCC casting costs in my pool).
Super fun draft! I always hope to draft something cool and explosive like this in my own cube.

To whoever comes after me, don't draft my cubes, as I'm working on getting my latest paper cube posted and would rather see someone else's drafted in the meantime.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I decided to do a couple of drafts since I hadn't done any for a while. Even did it in video form as you guys seem to be all up for making this as complicated as possible :p

Worldknit is fun for a couple of drafts, but then it gets a bit samey. Picking lands and goodstuff can only be done so many times before it gets tiresome. Not really much to say, but there was some strange cards floating around that you don't see often (Mirko Vosk) and the power range seemed pretty wide, but was still fun to draft.

Your cube is pretty fun to draft. So many duplicates, customs and alters I had a great time seeing what was going to come around. The fact that I wheeled the Collected Company from the first pack was awesome and I just went a bit too 'all-in' on those low drops. I had so many decent cards I had to cut, unsure if this is the optimal build. Will definitely draft again.

If anyone is keen to go in blind into a stupid cube, here is a terrible idea I had for a cube 3 years ago (before I came here). See what kind of trash you manage to make.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I started out with a first pick Thassa, followed by Nightveil Specter, then tried to pick as many mono blue cards as I could. Whenever that option was missing, I picked mana fixing, eventually finding a Kiora, I think, with some GU fixing already. That was a clear signal for my second color, and I scooped up some good green cards to join the blue army!

The cube seems fairly low-power, I guess that's the result of focussing on a Standard format, but there are some outliers that are, imo, ridiculously powerful in such a low-power environment. Pack Rat is almost an auto-win, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion is super powerful in any format, and probably game-ending in this one. I think somewhere down the line you'll have to decide whether adhering to the standard format is more important than building a fun drafting environment, because I expect these two cards in particular (but maybe also stuff like Brimaz?) will not add to the fun.

All in all though, this was a fun draft, and it touches on a lot of fun themes!

Did another draft, the fixing is awesome! Allowed me to play WW, BB and GG cards in the same deck! This deck hits like a truck. I started out BG, picking up white fixing here and there after I got an Athreos, then an Unflinching Courage, and then I suddenly got passed Archangel of Thune and Godsend. Ding!

There's a link to my cube in my sig. A word of warning though, I have just reset the pick order because of some sweeping changes, so the bots may be a bit rusty ;)

Aoret

Developer
Streamed a draft of Dom's. Super fun cube, liked the deck I made. As usual, I went on a few rabbit trails discussing cards along the way. Particularly interested to hear folks' experiences with Undying Evil and whether I'm doing it wrong. I can't recall which, but there were a couple other cards I brought up, from a positive, negative, and curious standpoint, feel free to comment on those as well.

screencap:
DomsCubeDraft33.png
deck: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubedeck/521062
stream: https://www.twitch.tv/aoret/v/62494490
youtube: if the export ever finishes I'll edit and add it D:

Did a draft of Aoret's Riptide 360 cube, a mad little thing with some great customs (that alternate Spell Pierce is so awesome). I had not drafted this cube, but knew it was non-singleton and I went in with very little knowledge of the archetypes that it brought. I just let the cube lead me into a deck archetype and see how that goes.

P1P1 was Garruk Relentless. There were some great green cards as well as some good black cards in the first pack. The choice was between Noble Hierarch and Garruk for me, but I went with the green planeswalker so I could go with G/x or G/B if any of those good cards wheeled. Skinrender in the next pack makes me want to go G/B. Next picks are all high quality and G/B is the way to go it seems for this deck. Picked up some good removal with Go for the Throat and Dismember. Probably going to be creature heavy with Birthing Pod being picked up rather late actually. Feeling good about this deck already.

P2P1 Whip of Erebos is the pick here. Other option was Athreos, God of Passage bt I don't have a lot of the fixing for it yet except for Gift of Gaea. However, I have good cards to splash white for already (Voice of Resurgence and Warden of the First Tree) so Abzan could be sweet. Whip is just better here, especially with Birthing Pod. Primeval Titan next pick, nuff said. Another gift of Gaea being picked up and seeing some mana fixing floating means I can look at going Abzan. There is also a bit of a reanimator theme coming along with both lands and creatures (Life from the Loam, Knight of the Reliquary, The Gitrog Monster and Liliana, Heretical Healer).

P3P1 Dark Confidant. Very nice to have some card draw in here, and with Whip of Erebos the lifeloss is not that bad. Blood Artist for some more sacrifice/graveyard/birthing pod synergy. Another Thoughtseize being picked up, really nice. Tasigur for some sweet delve/search tactice and this decks feels like it can go anywhere I want right now. Some more filler cards and removal/sacrifice cards lead me to build a reanimator deck I think. Really fun draft with so many options within the GB reanimator/sacrifice theme. Looking at the list I have quite too many options I believe, which is a very good thing.

MDT's Abzan Land Sac Deck from CubeTutor.com

I think the deck looks good, although maybe 1x Gift of Gaea could be replaced with Lotus Cobra to have more creatures to sac/use with Birthing Pod.

I'm not certain whether this is the best way I could have made the deck, it revolves now mostly about lands (Getting lands with Primeval Titan, Courser of Cruphix, sacrificing with Gitrog/Knight of the Relinquary/Whisperwood Elemental, getting them back with Life from the Loam and drawing cards with Gitrog/Tireless Tracker from lands). It's a deck I've not played a lot so I don't know how powerful this strategy is but it looks really fun at least and there's ways to change the deck to more centered around creatures. Loved the draft and the (quite hard) deck building, mostly because there were so many cards I wanted to put in the deck.

I decided to do a couple of drafts since I hadn't done any for a while. Even did it in video form as you guys seem to be all up for making this as complicated as possible :p

Worldknit is fun for a couple of drafts, but then it gets a bit samey. Picking lands and goodstuff can only be done so many times before it gets tiresome. Not really much to say, but there was some strange cards floating around that you don't see often (Mirko Vosk) and the power range seemed pretty wide, but was still fun to draft.

Also a big thanks to Kirblinx for making such an elaborate draft of my cube, gave me some nice insights as to how you perceived my cube and the draft of it. Worldknit messed up the draft experience a little bit (as it does usually, so I'm not sure how long it's still in the cube) but you got a pretty nice deck out of it and it was fun for me to see your drafting decisions!

Also here is a draft from that Goblin cube you made. That thing made me laugh so hard!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So, I got that the cube was about goblins. Other than that, I'm not really sure what was going on. I like playing red decks that hit people, so that's where I went. Also, Mirror Entity is really strong.

Also a big thanks to Kirblinx for making such an elaborate draft of my cube, gave me some nice insights as to how you perceived my cube and the draft of it. Worldknit messed up the draft experience a little bit (as it does usually, so I'm not sure how long it's still in the cube) but you got a pretty nice deck out of it and it was fun for me to see your drafting decisions!

Also here is a draft from that Goblin cube you made. That thing made me laugh so hard!

Yeah, it was an experiment if I could get some sort of archetype distribution in my friends 'goblin cube' which was a pile of goblin cards really. Looking at it now there are so many overpowered cards (Mirror Entity, Splinter Twin Combo, Goblin King) and for something I was so proud of when I finished it back then, looking over it now I can't help but feel ashamed. One day I will return to this cube, break singleton, flatten the power level and make it something interesting. At this point it is just a reminder of where I came from.

Since you were so kind about my video and I felt bad about Worldknit ruining the draft, I decided to draft your cube again MDT.
Started with the Mulldrifter and then somehow drifted (see what I did there) into mono red. Had a Chandra, Flamecaller I picked early in a pack too but couldn't fit it in with my aggro strat. Cube feels decent enough and didn't look like it had any traps. I mentioned in the video if I saw anything out of the ordinary.

I don't need anyone to draft my cube. Next person can redraft Dom's or MDT's. I still need to do a draft of Dom's cube. I will do it soon, I swear.