Card/Deck The Simic Combine

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Elvish Visionary never really did it for me, so Slightly better him at a way worse mana cost just baffles me.
does you cube have like 17 force of wills?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
*Shrug*
It always felt so minimal. a 1/1 isn't really a body worth being excited over. Sure there's a non-zero amount of 2/1s in cube, but I found there were a lot of situations where it wasn't actually trading with anything, just being a speedbump, essentially a lifegain spell. Drawing a card is nice, but I felt with how weak the body was that I'd be getting a bit more power out of the ETB.

for reference, I don't mind Satyr Wayfinder at all, even if it's not the most impressive card either.

The thing is that both of those cards aren't multicolored. Like look at the difference between Brain Maggot and Tidehollow Sculler, these cards are supposed to be better than this!

Coiling Oracle is a card that plays better than it reads. The ability is sort of anti-punisher in a way because if you have a ton of land in hand, it will usually draw you gas (which you want). If your hand is land short, it is more likely to flop the land you want (or if it doesn't, you get one card closer to it).

I don't think I've ever seen or built a Simic deck that didn't get a little better by running that card. And what more can you ask of a guild card? I know it's not exciting and if it's the best card in your deck, you might as well just scoop every game of every match. But not all cards are supposed to be build around power cards.

Yeah, Bring to Light is a 5c card, not a Simic card.

I cut it a while ago because it just wasn't all that for us; we like TOL tutors a lot here (running Enlightened, Mystical, Worldly, and probably soon Vampiric) so it felt pretty weak and underwhelming by comparison. If it could target any spell, it'd be way better, or if it was a mana more and instant speed or something, but as-is... Meh.

I thought Bring looked sweet and had it in a tri slot but eventually cut it because it was just too clunky and underpowered for my format. If it said nonland card, I would probably run it.

Aoret

Developer
The best I've come up with is the aforementioned TOL stuff, UG flash with Coco and mystic snakes, and possibly UG gro with that proliferate think twice custom (steady progress?)

My issue with the first is that it's techy but doesn't feel like a deck in the way my other archetypes do. (Though maybe it's fine for UG to live in that niche)

My issue with the second is that 2x Coco and 2x mystic snake is four 4 drops, and the two don't synergize outside of being able to represent both at once. This is fine but I can't really run other four +drops if I'm this deck

No real issues w/ option three other than I haven't tested it yet and I guess it uses customs for those of you still on the light side (or modo)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I don't know, I think the combination is fine.

You either have a sort of flash flyers archetype that wants to operate at instant speed, or a sort of simic stompy deck that wants to aggressively push through/protect big green dudes with buffs.

Whatever its doing just has to revolve around soft removal, which means some sort of aggressive strategy, or it needs to run a third color.

I always thought of Simic as predominantly a ramp pairing. While it can use some tempo cards; they're not there to press an early advantage like the other U/X tempo decks. Instead they're there to delay the opponent's plan long enough to overwhelm them with card advantage and/or expensive proactive spells.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Are those decks coming together though as pure simic decks?

Over here, its very good at ramping as well due to blue and green untap effects on bouncelands, but it always runs red for removal.

G/U ramp when it comes together can be insanely powerful in my cube. Being able to pair fast mana with blue card draw to ensure you find your big threats is very consistent and goes way over the top.

Are those decks coming together though as pure simic decks?

Over here, its very good at ramping as well due to blue and green untap effects on bouncelands, but it always runs red for removal.

I think it's normal for such decks to be tri-coloured. Partly because they need to splash for removal, partly because a ramp deck has the natural ability to fix its mana very well.
I don't really care if a deck is "pure" UG or splashes for something, as long as players understand the philosophy of the colour pair and can build successful decks by following it.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I am running the following:

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned Bounding Krasis. The card is a little generic, but it does let UG go a different route other than ramp and goodstuff (that word that should not be named). Plus it is UG removal! Sort of in the vein as Snakeform. The other two of my cards fit into the afformentioned ramp and good stuff and have been content with them so far.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think it's normal for such decks to be tri-coloured. Partly because they need to splash for removal, partly because a ramp deck has the natural ability to fix its mana very well.
I don't really care if a deck is "pure" UG or splashes for something, as long as players understand the philosophy of the colour pair and can build successful decks by following it.

If you have to get a major component from a third color, its a wedge or shard identity. A big part of UG's guild identity is that its limited to soft removal.