Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

What thing?

Use anaglyphs and sell us glasses in loot crates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_3D
These: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=mastery+set:stx+(rarity:r+OR+rarity:m)

Okay, seems I *do* play the black one (lol) but, on the whole, I find them worded really strangely and still do not understand the red one. Who wants to cube with cards like that? I do not.

Yes @Mapi I'm glad it was so obvious. Yes, those cards are just poorly templated. Like Dead Ringers confusing. I think it is probably just me but I really hate this shit. I'm getting old...

It's just another kicker variant, similarly to overload. I am confused why they need different names for essentially the same mechanic.
Just make everything kicker and be done with it. Jesus. So SO sick of trying to keep up with 1 Billion different versions of the same modal/kicker shit. It is completely wrecking the game imo. Who can keep up with this nonsense anymore? I certainly can't.
You do realize the game designers think Kicker is too broad, right? Yes, a lot of things can be done by brute-forcing a kicker template, but they wouldn't be as clean or elegant as just being spun off into their own mechanic. According to MaRo, the designs with this new "Cleave" mechanic couldn't have been done well with Kicker.

Just me or the enchantment theme is totally missing on both flavor and power level so far?
No, it's not just you. Most of the enchantment cards have been pretty bad so far.

Take this card:
dawnhartgeist.jpg

It's cheap enough to be relevant to an enchantments player, but the ability is just awful. If this said "draw a card," or even "draw a card. This ability only triggers once each turn," it would actually be very playable. But no, it just gains life. Sadface :(.

At least they've hit the feel of this set over the head. It's nice to have an Innistrad set that isn't Human-Centric for once. The wedding-themed cards are all awesome.

You do realize the game designers think Kicker is too broad, right? Yes, a lot of things can be done by brute-forcing a kicker template, but they wouldn't be as clean or elegant as just being spun off into their own mechanic.
As someone who's followed MaRo's articles and podcasts for nearly two decades, I definitely *do* get that it's too broad, 'brute forcing' and all of the things you are pointing out.

I see 18 evergreen keywords & *115* additional keyword mechanics at this page. Oh, and then 24 ability words. This does not seem sustainable to me but that's okay; MtG design does not answer to me.

I mostly don't like Cleave because it involves parsing [] brackets for crying out loud. What feels magical about that?

You do realize the game designers think Kicker is too broad, right? Yes, a lot of things can be done by brute-forcing a kicker template, but they wouldn't be as clean or elegant as just being spun off into their own mechanic. According to MaRo, the designs with this new "Cleave" mechanic couldn't have been done well with Kicker.
Funny that you mention clean and elegant. Cleave is neither, split or kicker for these cards would be (at least for me). It is mentally taxing since I have to read it first with the brackets which is a bit hard to grok and then read it while removing the brackets which is again a bit hard.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Funny that you mention clean and elegant. Cleave is neither, split or kicker for these cards would be (at least for me). It is mentally taxing since I have to read it first with the brackets which is a bit hard to grok and then read it while removing the brackets which is again a bit hard.
Yeah, like I made clear before :))), not everything should be kicker or split cards, but cleave definitely should have, in my mind. I don't think this mechanic will go downin history as a success, and I expect it to score really high on the storm scale eventually.

I feel like Cleave could have been better named.

I also feel like it could have played on a different axis so we wouldn’t talk about it just being kicker. I suggested something like cleave had to remove exactly two [] instead of all. Or exactly one. Or something crazy. Now it feels like we’re only going to use cleave if a few of the cards are perfect for our cubes and very Riptidey.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I feel like Cleave could have been better named.

I also feel like it could have played on a different axis so we wouldn’t talk about it just being kicker. I suggested something like cleave had to remove exactly to [] instead of all. Or something crazy. Now it feels like we’re only going to use cleave if a few of the cards are perfect for our cubes and very Riptidey.
Honestly? This mechanic should have been saved for Kamigawa Neon, and be called 'reprogram' or something like that.

Honestly? This mechanic should have been saved for Kamigawa Neon, and be called 'reprogram' or something like that.
Yeah that would have sold it for me. Obviously we don’t know how Kamigawa will turn out but from what we know do far, it sounds like it would fit.

We would probably have complained still :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
View attachment 5499
Interest mazemind tome variant. Really only need 3 or so counters on this to have pretty good value.
If you have three creatures when you cast this, you can pay 8 mana over 3 turns to draw three cards. That doesn't seem all that exciting at all, to be honest :confused: You've got some hoops to jump through, and then it's still slow and expensive. Mazemind Tome is also slow (if you want to draw), but at least it's reliable, and it can also just scry if you don't have the mana to spare, and it gains 4 life when it hits the bin.

If you have three creatures when you cast this, you can pay 8 mana over 3 turns to draw three cards. That doesn't seem all that exciting at all, to be honest :confused: You've got some hoops to jump through, and then it's still slow and expensive. Mazemind Tome is also slow (if you want to draw), but at least it's reliable, and it can also just scry if you don't have the mana to spare, and it gains 4 life when it hits the bin.
draws 4 in your scenario

If it helps you to think about it like this, it kind of says "create X clues, where X is 1 + the greatest number of creatures a player controls". Of course you can only "sac one clue a turn" (except at the end), but the total mana investment is effectively not applicable in the same way one wouldn't decry having 5 clues because "it would cost 10 mana to sac them all". Basically, if a format can afford to take time to sacrifice clues, the only question that needs to be asked is can my format afford to spend {2} generating some "clues". Same basic question for Tome.

I do agree that Mazemind is probably better overall, but this has a much higher draw ceiling, and goes to the graveyard if that's ever applicable (tome exiles itself so doesn't actually "hit the bin" as you put it).

Last edited:
geralfvisionarystitcher.jpg

Geralf here seems pretty interesting. Not super powerful, but being able to turn Wall of Omens into (essentially) an Angel token is nothing to sneeze at.
Relatively efficient sac outlets in blue are a rarity, and Geralf here doesn't diminish your board when he sacs (most sac outlets convert creatures into not-creatures). Pretty nice.

If it helps you to think about it like this, it kind of says "create X clues, where X is 1 + the greatest number of creatures a player controls".
Oh man, I wish that this is actually what the card did. Spending 2 mana to make a bunch of artifact tokens would be wild.

And broken. But wild all the same!

Considering how massive Midnight Hunt was for cube, I'm not complaining, but I'm pretty surprised how deeply uninspired I am by this first 25% of the set spoiled as of this morning. Maybe they were playing it super safe with this one, since it was a fill-in set to help adjust to a new calendar for Premiere sets?

I will also say, it feels weird to have a second Innistrad set that doesn't have Flashback after Avacyn Restored. While I was pleasantly surprised to see Disturb back, it flipping between creatures and enchantments exposes my biggest issue with the mechanic (and of the modern DFC philosophy of WotC in general), which is that it's really hard to know what's on the backside of cards from the front. Sure, we've seen a pattern of "it's a creature aura that does something kind of similar to the creature's front side", but that's a lot less immediately grokkable than "it's a flying spirit of some kind" we had in MID.

We're also having the modern Magic design problem of "too much text" in general, exacerbated by the two faces of the card, and compounded with the "front side and back side of these cards are not intuitively connected by mechanics". For example, both of these cards are mechanically interesting and things I'd be happy to include in my cube in theory/on a power-level basis, but I can't really justify the slots to such needlessly complicated and wordy cards.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.00.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.01.40 AM.png

Still staying optimistic though, and like has been said all over this thread, it's still a new set in Innistrad, and you can justifiably make the sex/pizza comparison here at the end of the day.

The enchantment theme is pretty out of left field for me personally. Has Innistrad ever had an enchantment subtheme in the past? Besides Delirium, which... doesn't really count IMO.

Considering how massive Midnight Hunt was for cube, I'm not complaining, but I'm pretty surprised how deeply uninspired I am by this first 25% of the set spoiled as of this morning. Maybe they were playing it super safe with this one, since it was a fill-in set to help adjust to a new calendar for Premiere sets?

I will also say, it feels weird to have a second Innistrad set that doesn't have Flashback after Avacyn Restored. While I was pleasantly surprised to see Disturb back, it flipping between creatures and enchantments exposes my biggest issue with the mechanic (and of the modern DFC philosophy of WotC in general), which is that it's really hard to know what's on the backside of cards from the front. Sure, we've seen a pattern of "it's a creature aura that does something kind of similar to the creature's front side", but that's a lot less immediately grokkable than "it's a flying spirit of some kind" we had in MID.

We're also having the modern Magic design problem of "too much text" in general, exacerbated by the two faces of the card, and compounded with the "front side and back side of these cards are not intuitively connected by mechanics". For example, both of these cards are mechanically interesting and things I'd be happy to include in my cube in theory/on a power-level basis, but I can't really justify the slots to such needlessly complicated and wordy cards.

View attachment 5500View attachment 5501

Still staying optimistic though, and like has been said all over this thread, it's still a new set in Innistrad, and you can justifiably make the sex/pizza comparison here at the end of the day.
having too much text isn’t really a “modern” problem, i mean, you’ve seen Chains of Mephistopheles right?