Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

No, not even in Avacyn Restored. Enchantment themes are pretty uninteresting overall tbh, because it doesn't intersect with as many play-styles as artifacts, which are already hard enough to support (even in constructed) without being entirely linear. It's a miss for me.

having too much text isn’t really a “modern” problem, i mean, you’ve seen Chains of Mephistopheles right?

In the era of draftable sets, which is about the last 25 years of Magic, we haven't had such wordy sets. Yeah, the earliest versions of the game had their Ice Cauldrons and the like, but this last year and a half has really accelerated the bookish qualities of Magic cards, and not in a way I think is positive.

On the note of overly wordy cards, Savior of Ollenbock is causing me a great deal of heartbreak. I am forever a fan of promoting reanimation strategies in white, and this is a nice balance of fair and powerful, and interesting hoops to jump through to maximize it. Theoretically, I should love this card.

saviorofollenbock.jpg

But I dunno, Training seems too much like Mentor, and it's really easy to read this card wrong. I'm being too harsh maybe, as people didn't have issues with the similarly-worded Angel of Serenity for the nearly five years it was in cube, but I wish Savior removed the Banisher Priest text to make its use-case more obvious, even if it cut into its power quite a bit. Am I being dramatic here?

---

sorinthemirthless.jpg

Sorin the Mirthless is certainly the best black Planeswalker at its MV, but that's not merit for inclusion on its own. I think some fair comparisons include Bloodline Keeper, who I cubed with for years, and Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, who has a better best case scenario but is too much of an aggro killer for my list and somewhat uninteresting overall. Those comps expose something interesting, though -- we just don't have a generic midrange value dude in black like Sorin. Cube darling Gonti, Lord of Luxury will similarly draw you a card and provide a 2/3 body (Sorin's average case scenario, by my estimation), but with less flexibility, and less flying. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician feels like such a different card that it's weird to compare them, but is the only other value engine at this MV in the color I could come up with.

As a result, I'm quite interested in stupid sexy Sorin. There's just not the kind of generic midrange card in the color at this power band that works as a bridge between a bunch of different archetypes. Fun!

---

chandradressedtokillp.jpg

Chandra, Dressed to Kill is a neat card. I've been looking for red's Phyrexian Arena for a decade, and used to use a Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded with the "at random" part of his plus ability crossed off to get at least halfway there before deciding I wanted to use "cards that are printed" as a core limitation of my cube.

But all the red Arena-likes have either been too expensive, like Vance's Blasting Cannons and Outpost Siege, or not consistent enough, like Valakut Exploration or Prophetic Flamespeaker. There are 4-drop Chandras that have this ability as a +1 or a 0, but the difference between 3 and 4 is huge. So while I have too many red walkers already by my own count, this fills a strong need of mine. The loss of playing lands off the top is a disappointment, but the excellent art and the other +1 ability looks like this Chandra's dressed to kill for my 720.

EDIT: I DIDN'T REALIZE IT SAID "IF IT'S RED" FOR HER IMPULSE DRAW

WHY

COMPLETE NONSENSE, WASTE OF (FINALLY) WONDERFUL CHANDRA ARTWORK

---

oliviacrimsonbride.jpg

Olivia, Crimson Bride seems fine. The only creatures with an unrestricted ETB reanimate under 7 mana are Karmic Guide and Phyrexian Delver, and technically Nullpriest of Oblivion, which, as I'm writing this, makes this seem pretty weak in comparison. Huh. Zagras, Thief of Heartbeats is an underrated cube inclusion that also hits hard in the air with a hasty threat, but it usually comes down a turn or two earlier, even if Olivia will often hit for an extra damage or two. I like having finishers in my guild sections, and even with my realization I'm interested here, but the clause about losing the reanimated creature if you lose Olivia is what I think cuts this from serious consideration, as your day can get ruined by any removal without much recourse. Ugh.

tl;dr:
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.50.23 AM.png

Last edited:
Yes, it was also a problem 25 years ago during the game's infancy, but there's a pretty long interim period between that. Besides, the older verbose cards generally only do one specific thing that's worded really poorly, modern cards have a lot of text largely because they just do a lot.

For what it's worth I think this batch of disturb cards are a lot more intuitive than the original ones, there's a much stronger connection between the front side and the back side.

There definitely has been an increase in wordiness lately, though.

Compare Chains of Mephistopheles' 50 words or Ice Cauldron's 86 to Runo Stromkirk's 95 or Cosima, God of the Voyage's 104. And, what's worse, DFCs hide half of the card at any given time.

EDIT: Also, fun fact: even if you ignore the back sides of both cards, Runo and Cosima are both longer than Chains.

For what it's worth I think this batch of disturb cards are a lot more intuitive than the original ones, there's a much stronger connection between the front side and the back side.

I would agree in a vacuum, had I not just spent the last month and a half drafting MID on repeat. Switching the way it works between sets is my biggest issue, aside from the fact it doesn't even give us an (Aura) indicator for what's on the backside.

There definitely has been an increase in wordiness lately, though.

Compare Chains of Mephistopheles' 50 words or Ice Cauldron's 86 to Runo Stromkirk's 95 or Cosima, God of the Voyage's 104. And, what's worse, DFCs hide half of the card at any given time.

EDIT: Also, fun fact: even if you ignore the back sides of both cards, Runo and Cosima are both longer than Chains.

Yeah, this is the core of it! It's sad when I'm eager to play with effects like Cosmina but unless I put in reps in constructed with it, even I liable to misplay it in a Cube environment just due to the amount of text present.

Funny that you mention clean and elegant. Cleave is neither, split or kicker for these cards would be (at least for me). It is mentally taxing since I have to read it first with the brackets which is a bit hard to grok and then read it while removing the brackets which is again a bit hard.
I mostly don't like Cleave because it involves parsing [] brackets for crying out loud. What feels magical about that?
But Cleave is cleaner than using kicker or split cards for these effects. All of the cards with cleave would require writing out an entire second "if this spell was kicked" version of the text, which takes up a lot of space on the card and turns it into word soup. You'd be doubling or even tripling the amount of rules text on some of these cards if you made them with kicker, which also reduces card comprehension. I get that the square brackets might be subjectively a little bit harder for some people to understand, but there is objectively less text on these cards because they use the new mechanic.

I don't really see a reason to litigate this any further since you're both coming from a place of disliking the mechanic. There are good reasons why this keyword exists instead of just using kicker. If you don't like the mechanic, that's fine, but also it's not bad simply because it could have been done differently.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But Cleave is cleaner than using kicker or split cards for these effects. [... ] there is objectively less text on these cards because they use the new mechanic.
This is a fallacy, I think. Less text does not necessarily mean cleaner, particularly in this case. You yourself admit the card might be subjectively harder to parse for some people. See also Dead Ringers, which didn't use a lot of text, but still confused people all the time.
There are good reasons why this keyword exists instead of just using kicker.
The mechanic to use instead here would be split cards, I think, since you always have two modes.
If you don't like the mechanic, that's fine, but also it's not bad simply because it could have been done differently.
That is completely true, but also, just because I dislike cleave for how it looks on a card, doesn't mean I think the mechanic is bad. I just dislike the execution, and the execution makes me want to not play the mechanic.

This is a fallacy, I think. Less text does not necessarily mean cleaner, particularly in this case.
But it literally is cleaner. You're not having to read a short novel to get to the endpoint of "if you paid the other cost, ignore the restriction."

See also Dead Ringers, which didn't use a lot of text, but still confused people all the time.
I don't think "ignore the brackets" is anywhere near comparable to "Destroy two target nonblack creatures unless either one is a color the other isn't," at least from a comprehension perspective.

The mechanic to use instead here would be split cards, I think, since you always have two modes.
I mean, ok, but adding an entire second card to the frame is arguably worse than the brackets. Split cards are kind of awkward, I think we're just ok with them because they've existed for 20 years. They're really great for cards like Fire // Ice or Status // Statue where both sides do something completely different. These cleave cards, however, basically do the same thing on both "sides," just with one side dropping a restriction from the other. I think in this case, the brackets are superior to adding a second card to the card.

That is completely true, but also, just because I dislike cleave for how it looks on a card, doesn't mean I think the mechanic is bad.
I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the people saying that it was terrible or ruining the game.

I just dislike the execution, and the execution makes me want to not play the mechanic.
And that's perfectly reasonable :).

demonicbargain.jpg

I kind of like this tutor but I'm afraid exiling the top 13 cards of your decks is a little bit much for 40 card decks. A player's library is already going to be drained of at least 9 cards by the time they get to cast this (7 from opening hand, plus 2 cards drawn for turn assuming they're on the play). Removing another 13 means over half the library will be gone after this gets cast.

It feels a bit aggressive for Cube, but I love the design!

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the people saying that it was terrible or ruining the game.
Wait, who said it was ruining the game? I totally missed that comment.

Totally agree on Demonic Bargain. Really cool card. I had the same card as a custom in 2013 with 7 cards and not 13. Thirteen is a much better design because it actually hurts and it complicates running two. And thirteen is a cooler number.

Last edited:
TL;DR of the spoiler below: I looked at the entire list of magic cards and did a buncha tinkering, and found out that yes, on average, card textboxes have been getting longer as time goes on. There's been an 11% increase in "wordy" cards ("wordy" being somewhat arbitrarily determined), and average textbox length is about 35 characters longer now than back in the '90s.

I do think this is a legitimate issue, because this means textboxes have been getting longer even accounting for the fact that WotC is coming out with a variety of shortcut words ("mill", "create", "shuffle", "mana value" etc.). This is a worrying trend on actual cognitive load, because if you break these shortcut words into their underlying rules text meaning, the word count increase gets even worse.

Looking at the MTGJSON card list and doing a bit of sorting, filtering, and math, word count has definitely been going up over time, generally speaking. To try and clean the data used below I excluded promos, vanguards, variants of a single card in one set, and some other fiddly stuff, to effectively get the cards printed/used in "normal" magic sets. I left reprints because that card is legitimately being reused in a newer-than-original set, so that word count is still a valid part of that set.

Word count summarized in relatively arbitrary blocks oldest to newest:
1635630134517.png

I would show it as a graph, but uh... not very eye-friendly. A trendline on the graph does mimic the slight upward trend shown in my summary.

This is also verified by counting characters in the text box:
1635630159309.png

The breakpoint where we see the character count jump above 140 starts in mid 2014, conveniently about the same time the current 2015 frame came out (see below for date ranges). Note that standard deviation is fairly useless here because the data isn't a nice bell curve. Instead I made a calculation for figuring out which percentage of cards are +/- 50 characters from the average count:
1635630266028.png
Note the date ranges of each block and the cards in each block.

Old cards have a stronger grouping around the average character count (34-134), strongly tilted towards low character count, cards newer than Prophecy tend to have a much more random distribution of character counts, quickly dropping to ~10% chance they are in that (arbitrary) 100-character range in cards printed today.

Strongest argument IMO that new cards are trending upwards in character count is when you break down percentage of character count into ranges (no the data ranges don't overlap I just named the columns stupid):
1635631068559.png
The oldest set of cards has a solid 58% of cards having 120 characters or less, while new cards that percentage is only 38%. Conversely only 16% of the oldest cards have greater than 200 characters, while 27% of the newest cards do, and that trend is pretty consistent, with the percentage breaking 20% with the advent of the 2015 card frame.
1635630496465.png

Last edited:
1635631314536.png

Wowzers. Being able to be landfall: create a 1/1, basically magecraft: create a 1/1, or whenever you cast [pick a permanent type]: create a 1/1 is insanely flexible depending on how fast graveyard fill, and what they fill with.

It's from any graveyard, so it's also incidental GY hate.

Has Flash(?) so can also just be a "destroy target attacking creature without flying" sometimes.

Very strong.

Last edited:
View attachment 5522

Wowzers. Being able to be landfall: create a 1/1, basically magecraft: create a 1/1, or whenever you cast [pick a permanent type]: create a 1/1 is insanely flexible depending on how fast graveyard fill, and what they fill with.

Has Flash(?) so can also just be a "destroy target attacking creature without flying" sometimes.

Very strong.

...they just put these three angels in a blender, tacked the pieces together, and decided that flying made the resulting skaab too strong, didn't they?

On topic, I'm not sure that this is going to be a super notable card for me, though, and my format (slow, graveyard-focused) is kind of where this card should be going. Then again, I'm probably underestimating the role compression here. More generally, it feels like WotC is really loading up the 4-drop slot in this set, which is strange to me. This also really suffers from White not having great ways to bin the cards that they want. I could see it being a great Swiss army knife of a card, though, and maybe that's the real deal here.

View attachment 5522

Very strong.

Instant upgrade on Emeria Angel for me. Easy include

undeadbutler.jpg

Undead Butler
{1}{B}
Creature - Zombie
When Undead Butler enters the battlefield, mill three cards.
When Undead Butler dies, you may exile it. If you do, return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
1/2
Honestly this is not a bad card! It has a raise dead tacked on when it dies, so it's kind of a cantrip dude, plus it enables itself with some mill.

I would probably play this if it was a 2/2, as is I think my black section in my main cube is a little too tight for this. Having said that, I think there are a ton of Cubes where this is just a flat-out good card. I think this is a must-have card.