Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

ulvenwaldoddity.jpg
ulvenwaldbehemoth.jpg

DEATH MOOSE! IT IS THE MOOSE... OF DEATH!

ulvenwaldoddity.jpg
ulvenwaldbehemoth.jpg

DEATH MOOSE! IT IS THE MOOSE... OF DEATH!

It's really not that bad! I don't cube with Questing Beast even though I like it (especially its anti-Walker capabilities) of it because it's a cluster of a card, and this fits that gap reasonable well.

If Undead Butler had deathtouch or was a 1/3, it'd be a solid replacement for Mire Triton, as I love milling an additional card, the art, and the death trigger, but even with all the aristocrat value available in black, it's hard to think of it as worlds better than Novice Occultist, a card I'd never consider cubing in a medium or higher power level set.

Kessig Wolfrider is neat, but I'm not sure what I'd try to fit in around the 1-drop slot, I find my 1-drops quite precious and already have a lot of them in the color.

It is flexible as a 4drop and 7drop in one package, but it's also quite boring. No synergy potential at all. I'll happily play this in limited and stick with Deadbridge Goliath (and Vengevine) in cube.

It is boring for sure,

FCkLno9VEAAPjck.pngFCkLocfVgAI3cKK.png

I love Double Strike and have been enjoying Adorned Pouncer for a few years yet, and don't think this will take its place, but I can't say I hate this card, especially considering how cheap the disturb price is to the Pounder's Eternalize cost. The enchantment viewed pure upside is not entirely inappropriate for stronger cubes, even if I don't think this card makes it overall. Interesting design, at the very least!

Twinblade Geist however is a slam dunk for me! A nice body for Wx Equipment/Voltron decks. Pouncer was too much for me, so I am happy to either replace Kor Blademaster or if I can run it alongside. I was hoping for quite some time now to get Fencing Ace with small upside at uncommon again. There it is!

ulvenwaldoddity.jpg
ulvenwaldbehemoth.jpg

Ulvenwald Monstrostiy is the Canadian card every printed. It’s a cross between a Moose and a Grizzly bear! To top it off, it’s surrounded by Maple Leaves! I can hear O Canada! Playing just looking at this card. Wilfred Laurier/10 will test.

This is easily one of the most interesting cards in the set so far, it goes really well into a ton of different strategies. The only thing not to like is the fact that it is double-faced.

kessigwolfrider.jpg

This is a very good 1-drop, it's very hard to stonewall in the early game and effectively draws cards in the late game. Plus the tokens are 3/2s for people who care about that :)

I think this is a very solid card that could go into basically any unpowered cube and have a net positive impact on the format.

1635711071836.png
Well this can get out of hand pretty quickly. Has that uniquely hard to remove feature of pack rat and threatens to close out the game very, very quickly.

Moose has synergy with ramp, synergy with trample matters which IS a thing! and synergy with cards that trigger on attack thanks to the haste trigger. AND “4 power matters!” sweet card.

Moose has synergy with ramp, synergy with trample matters which IS a thing! and synergy with cards that trigger on attack thanks to the haste trigger. AND “4 power matters!” sweet card.

Those are quite rare. How many of those are you personally running? I am not running any.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
vilespawnspider.jpg

Don't mind me, just loopin' my Spider Spawning On Legs...
Spider Spawning on [8] Legs
Cleave 4B

Ulvenwald Monstrostiy is the Canadian card every printed. It’s a cross between a Moose and a Grizzly bear! To top it off, it’s surrounded by Maple Leaves! I can hear O Canada! Playing just looking at this card. Wilfred Laurier/10 will test.
For our international audience, Wilfred Laurier is the lad on our Tenner :p

Those are quite rare. How many of those are you personally running? I am not running any.
I’m on both Ramp and 4 power matters. Plus I have a couple cards that have attack triggers. They’re not exactly rare.

For our international audience, Wilfred Laurier is the lad on our Tenner :p
He’s also the lad who leads your country in Civilization 6 ;)

1635770811986.png
I smell a cycle coming on. This one is also brutally strong. Fights over the coveted green 3 slot, provides continual GY hate, beats in and defends, and likely makes your creatures cost 1 less to cast, followed by your removal spells etc.

1635770950161.png
For those that like the opponents-library-thieving mechanics, this is neat

1635770991400.png
cute

View attachment 5539
I smell a cycle coming on. This one is also brutally strong. Fights over the coveted green 3 slot, provides continual GY hate, beats in and defends, and likely makes your creatures cost 1 less to cast, followed by your removal spells etc.

Aside from being just a strong card in general, this and Cemetery Protector could really help flesh out a non-poisonous version of the creature-fall deck with things like:

and maybe:

Which all goes in the Earthcraft/Cryptolith Rites deck as well if that's something you are supporting.

Yet again I am puzzled by Train's ability to find one of the most generic rate-monsters in the set and highlight it for being an exceptionally interesting card.
Weirdest affinity enabler to date. I don't understand why it keys off the number of differently matching card types instead of rewarding you for stacking up several of one, but that does make it really good at spewing out robots for 2 less.
I think power level wise we've upgraded from Valorous Stance over the last few years, but I LOVE this new art, and always thought the old one was mediocre
I'm not big on how the modern incarnation of the game looks visually, but this is a real standout piece. I almost want to cube it for that reason alone.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yet again I am puzzled by Train's ability to find one of the most generic rate-monsters in the set and highlight it for being an exceptionally interesting card.
It's not as puzzling if you know what kind of cards his environment is looking for ;)

Edit: To clarify (after blacksmithy's comment showed my meaning was entirely unclear), this wasn't meant in a mean way. I actually meant that if you understand Train's cube, you understand that this should be a card he is interested in. Specifically, this is a ramp card that comes down early-ish, and makes your other ramp targets that much more dangerous.

Last edited:
1635777790408.png
Huh, this is pretty neat. Strong flier that generates artifacts in black (artifacts that enable discard synergies) and can self-enable resurrection if it gets two hits in.

Does have the very real issue of not having reminder text if this is going to be your only blood token inclusion (compare to, say, bygone bishop, which does include the reminder text if it's your only clue generator).

Last edited:
It's not as puzzling if you know what kind of cards his environment is looking for ;)
love you guys, but this exchange reads kinda rude, and i wouldn’t want people talking like this about me and my cube behind my back or to my face. no one likes being called out as “generic,” it’s a step or two away from calling someone “basic” which is insulting.
lets keep the focus on cards and not the people who are discussing the cards.

6uzarhw140x71.png

This looks great! A Flying Men with minor upside to help out my ninjas and blue tempo circa Ixalan is, quite literally, what I've been looking for. And if my spidey-senses are correct, it's yet another signal that we're going to see yet more Ninjas in Kamigawa 2.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
love you guys, but this exchange reads kinda rude, and i wouldn’t want people talking like this about me and my cube behind my back or to my face. no one likes being called out as “generic,” it’s a step or two away from calling someone “basic” which is insulting.
lets keep the focus on cards and not the people who are discussing the cards.
Oh shit, I totally didn't mean it that way! I just meant Train has a bigger focus on curve considerations and a preference for a bit higher power level than a lot of folks here. And if you know that about his environment, it should be no suprise that he is interested in an on rate green midrange beatstick that can turn into a big threat if you have extra mana.

Edit: To clarify (after blacksmithy's comment showed my meaning was entirely unclear), this wasn't meant in a mean way. I actually meant that if you understand Train's cube, you understand that this should be a card he is interested in. Specifically, this is a ramp card that comes down early-ish, and makes your other ramp targets that much more dangerous.

Last edited: