Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

Valorous-Stance-VOW-672.jpg

I think power level wise we've upgraded from Valorous Stance over the last few years, but I LOVE this new art, and always thought the old one was mediocre
Yeah our previous options were a little underwhelming...
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I mean, I like the original art from Fate Reforged, but nothing about it says "kill spell." Likewise, the Clash Pack art looks like a kill spell, but not all that much like a protection spell. It kind of looks like you just wrap the creature in toilet paper and call it a day.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hahahaha, this is the best one yet! In fact, I don't think any meme cleave card can beat this :')

TL;DR of the spoiler below: I looked at the entire list of magic cards and did a buncha tinkering, and found out that yes, on average, card textboxes have been getting longer as time goes on. There's been an 11% increase in "wordy" cards ("wordy" being somewhat arbitrarily determined), and average textbox length is about 35 characters longer now than back in the '90s.

I do think this is a legitimate issue, because this means textboxes have been getting longer even accounting for the fact that WotC is coming out with a variety of shortcut words ("mill", "create", "shuffle", "mana value" etc.). This is a worrying trend on actual cognitive load, because if you break these shortcut words into their underlying rules text meaning, the word count increase gets even worse.

Looking at the MTGJSON card list and doing a bit of sorting, filtering, and math, word count has definitely been going up over time, generally speaking. To try and clean the data used below I excluded promos, vanguards, variants of a single card in one set, and some other fiddly stuff, to effectively get the cards printed/used in "normal" magic sets. I left reprints because that card is legitimately being reused in a newer-than-original set, so that word count is still a valid part of that set.

Word count summarized in relatively arbitrary blocks oldest to newest:
View attachment 5515

I would show it as a graph, but uh... not very eye-friendly. A trendline on the graph does mimic the slight upward trend shown in my summary.

This is also verified by counting characters in the text box:
View attachment 5516

The breakpoint where we see the character count jump above 140 starts in mid 2014, conveniently about the same time the current 2015 frame came out (see below for date ranges). Note that standard deviation is fairly useless here because the data isn't a nice bell curve. Instead I made a calculation for figuring out which percentage of cards are +/- 50 characters from the average count:
View attachment 5518
Note the date ranges of each block and the cards in each block.

Old cards have a stronger grouping around the average character count (34-134), strongly tilted towards low character count, cards newer than Prophecy tend to have a much more random distribution of character counts, quickly dropping to ~10% chance they are in that (arbitrary) 100-character range in cards printed today.

Strongest argument IMO that new cards are trending upwards in character count is when you break down percentage of character count into ranges (no the data ranges don't overlap I just named the columns stupid):
View attachment 5521
The oldest set of cards has a solid 58% of cards having 120 characters or less, while new cards that percentage is only 38%. Conversely only 16% of the oldest cards have greater than 200 characters, while 27% of the newest cards do, and that trend is pretty consistent, with the percentage breaking 20% with the advent of the 2015 card frame.
View attachment 5520
I wonder how the numbers look if you exclude sets with DFC's. We have been getting a lot of those recently, and they are probably the wordiest cards out there. I might be wrong, but I'm assuming this will be the last set in a while with a heavy DFC component. Mark Gottlieb wrote an article last year about average word count (which you can find here). Obviously, averages are dangerous, because they obfuscate a lot of information. What this article does proof is that word count is something WotC is very conscious of. The article lists the average word count per rarity for Ixalan through Ikoria with and without reminder text, which are two additional parameters that are great for additional insight. Ideally, you'ld want even more information, like mean values and standard deviations, to get an even better idea of word count distribution. Pretty fascinating insight regardless, because it's very clear most complexity is allowed within the mythic and (to a lesser extent) the rare slot. (PS. Don't be fooled by the color scheme, for some reason they haven't bothered to align the chart colors with rarity colors, so we have yellow representing mythics, silver representing rares, and orange representing uncommons :facepalm:) I haven't seen as expansive an article since, but I'm pretty sure all of the DFC's haven't improved things, since each of those is basically two cards in one. It would be interesting to get an update along the same lines, honestly!

PS2. I also wanted to put a shoutout to @Nemo here, who created this fantastic thread last year, where they calculated the average word count (at the time) for a bunch of cubes. It would, again, be interesting to see mean values in addition to the averages, because like I said, averages tend to obfuscate a lot of information.

Multi cleave

Such a brilliant fake! Onde took the words out of my mouth. Several of the sentences can mean different things depending on what other [] are removed or not. Brilliant.

I especially like that “{1}:minus one” because originally it refers to the {G}’s restriction on mana value but after you’ve paid the {G} it simply says

“Search your library for a creature card minus one…” :p

I do miss a super expensive blue cost at the end with [] around “then shuffle” so one could pay a lot of blue mana to leave the library unshuffled :p

Also the name “multi cleave” is great because it was a laughing stock back when Wizards designed multikicker for Worldwake. The only thing that could beat it would be mega cleave as a joke on megamorph.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hehe, I notice you can't see it, but I actually quoted the [V]indicate :D It's so simple, but it works on every angle, even the card name and flavor text!

I am really disappointed with the new Chandra. The art is dope but the card itself?
The first +1 is a mana ramp which is nice to have but not too impactful on a 3 cost walker. Yes,there is a point of damage but who cares for that?
The second ability forces you to go mono red but even then you aren‘t guaranteed to even get a red card because of lands or artifacts.
The -7 might actually not even be there. If you are able to defend this card for 4 turns you might have already won the game.
Might see play in EDH though…

Hahahaha, this is the best one yet! In fact, I don't think any meme cleave card can beat this :')

I wonder how the numbers look if you exclude sets with DFC's. We have been getting a lot of those recently, and they are probably the wordiest cards out there. I might be wrong, but I'm assuming this will be the last set in a while with a heavy DFC component. Mark Gottlieb wrote an article last year about average word count (which you can find here). Obviously, averages are dangerous, because they obfuscate a lot of information. What this article does proof is that word count is something WotC is very conscious of. The article lists the average word count per rarity for Ixalan through Ikoria with and without reminder text, which are two additional parameters that are great for additional insight. Ideally, you'ld want even more information, like mean values and standard deviations, to get an even better idea of word count distribution. Pretty fascinating insight regardless, because it's very clear most complexity is allowed within the mythic and (to a lesser extent) the rare slot. (PS. Don't be fooled by the color scheme, for some reason they haven't bothered to align the chart colors with rarity colors, so we have yellow representing mythics, silver representing rares, and orange representing uncommons :facepalm:) I haven't seen as expansive an article since, but I'm pretty sure all of the DFC's haven't improved things, since each of those is basically two cards in one. It would be interesting to get an update along the same lines, honestly!

PS2. I also wanted to put a shoutout to @Nemo here, who created this fantastic thread last year, where they calculated the average word count (at the time) for a bunch of cubes. It would, again, be interesting to see mean values in addition to the averages, because like I said, averages tend to obfuscate a lot of information.
"Mean" and "average" are synonyms, and as I noted standard deviation isn't particularly useful for this dataset because the data itself doesn't follow a normal distribution; therefor I used a different statistical approach to means bounding instead (the Chebyshev Bound in this specific case, with an arbitrary determination on what bound I actually wanted):
Note that standard deviation is fairly useless here because the data isn't a nice bell curve. Instead I made a calculation for figuring out which percentage of cards are +/- 50 characters from the average count
If you mean "median" instead of "mean", we still get a similar trend (median shows a higher character discrepancy than mean does actually):
1635670786396.png1635670845307.png

Interesting article regardless, and not one that surprises me. I wouldn't expect WotC to just blast words onto cards with reckless abandon. Given the short timescale of the article, I'd reckon my data holds up fairly well still, even if we muck about with individual tweaks here or there. The short answer to your specific question is: excluding those sets would do a hell of a lot less than one might think.

Reason being: each segment/face of split cards and DFCs are counted separately in the MTGJSON rather than as one card unit and should be increasing word count more than they currently do in the dataset, a fact that would skew data further towards new cards because there are more new split cards and DFCs than old.

That honestly makes the data even more worrying than it might otherwise be, because the recent spike in DFCs isn't creating a potentially temporary "bump" in my dataset.

Last edited:
Oh this one! :)
View attachment 5525

I don’t understand the flavor text. I also don’t understand the relationship between paying one {W} to have a card saying “target permanent.” Why one mana?
I found this to be a very funny cleave parody because it sits at the intersection between clever and stupid that matches my sense of humour. The removal of [text] from the title and flavour text means that the meaning is maintained: you are doing nothing more than indicating a permanent, choosing “you”.

Indicate is tech against Phantasmal Image.

Reason being: each segment/face of split cards and DFCs are counted separately in the MTGJSON rather than as one card unit and should be increasing word count more than they currently do in the dataset, a fact that would skew data further towards new cards because there are more new split cards and DFCs than old.

Does this mean that if the MDFC were counted as one card (as they should since a player has to read all the words on both sides before they understand that one card) the data would indicate that we see an even higher increase in card complexity?

undeadbutler.jpg

Honestly this is not a bad card! It has a raise dead tacked on when it dies, so it's kind of a cantrip dude, plus it enables itself with some mill.

I would probably play this if it was a 2/2, as is I think my black section in my main cube is a little too tight for this. Having said that, I think there are a ton of Cubes where this is just a flat-out good card. I think this is a must-have card.

That is for sure the most intriguing card so far for me.

I found this to be a very funny cleave parody because it sits at the intersection between clever and stupid that matches my sense of humour. The removal of [text] from the title and flavour text means that the meaning is maintained: you are doing nothing more than indicating a permanent, choosing “you”.

Indicate is tech against Phantasmal Image.

Sure. I also found it funny because of the name and flavor text [] :p Just not brilliant because the changes don’t make much sense to me. Maybe someone can explain them to me and then I’ll board the brilliant train.

It's just a reference to an old-ish meme. There's not much else to it, you indicate something by targeting it.
6yjbl2gu5zk31.jpg
That's gold

The frame that is.

Nah I get it now. That's pretty funny. Also if it has been a meme for a long time, it's just me not noticing it on the interwebs :p Pretty cool!

I have to find room for that little Spider!
I like that you lose a reach creature if you want the wide army.

If we take a look at this art
1635700054270.png
Does it look like a creature that creates human tokens? And the name is Cemetery Protector, yet it exiles a card from a graveyard?

Exiling in this case would indicate sending a troublesome cemetary guest to the Blessed Sleep, and then calling for reinforcements whenever they detect another of that sort of trouble.