Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

Dreadful-Service-VOW-672.jpg

Currently under translation, but here's another drake haven if you want one. I personally think Faith of the Devoted is cooler, but I also haven't played with any of these three.
I remember a time (roughly 18 months ago :p) when I would have gotten really excited to see this card be printed, and then promptly dissapointed when it turned out to be way worse than Drake Haven.

I think the fact that this can start making tokens the turn it comes down without an additional mana investment is great, but the fact that it only triggers once per turn and the tokens don't have flying kills it. Much of the value from Drake Haven comes from being able to build an army of cheap fliers by casting a Careful Study type effect. Being bottlenecked on tokens makes this new card feel pretty bad.

I like the fact that the tokens have a relevant type and a Zombie Butler flavoring, but I think this card is just too expensive to be good. I think this needed to trigger off of every discard or cost less mana in order to be closer to haven in terms of power level.

In case anyone wanted actual confirmation: Ulvenwald Oddity is German. The whole plane of Innistrad is based of 18’th and 19’th century Germany and eastern Europe (according to Wizards of the Coast)

The name is also German. Ulven means Wolf and Wald means Forest.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In case anyone wanted actual confirmation: Ulvenwald Oddity is German. The whole plane of Innistrad is based of 18’th and 19’th century Germany and eastern Europe (according to Wizards of the Coast)

The name is also German. Ulven means Wolf and Wald means Forest.
The German word for wolf is actually Wolf. Ulven is the word for wolf in both Danish and Norwegian. Wald, however, is indeed the German word for forest. The name is basically an American bastardization of two languages :p Kidding, smashing foreign words together is actually a great way to come up with good fantasy names. I should know, because as a Dungeon Master I've done it plenty of times in my D&D games ;)

The German word for wolf is actually Wolf. Ulven is the word for wolf in both Danish and Norwegian. Wald, however, is indeed the German word for forest. The name is basically an American bastardization of two languages :p Kidding, smashing foreign words together is actually a great way to come up with good fantasy names. I should know, because as a Dungeon Master I've done it plenty of times in my D&D games ;)

I am Danish and the word for Wolf is not ‘ulven’ but ‘ulv’

In Danish ‘ulven’ means ‘the wolf’

I do not expect you to speak fluid Danish :p I also do not speak fluid Dutch.

In either case, Innistrad is German and eastern Europe in the 18’th and 19’th century according to Wizards of the Coast. No Canada involved. Obviously it’s all fiction so we can imagine it whatever we want.

Woooooow

C088D9BE-B7FA-41AB-85DD-E2FEF007FB87.jpeg

Hive-Heart Shaman 3G
Creature - Human Shaman (Rare)
Whenever Hive-Heart Shaman attacks, you may search your library for a basic land card that does not share a land type with a land you control, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.
5G: Create a 1/1 green Insect creature token. Put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control. Activate only as a sorcery.
3/5

I like choice cards

View attachment 5569

Dreamshackle Geist {1}{U}{U}
Creature - Spirit (Rare)
Flying
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose up to one —
• Tap target creature
• Target creature doesn't untap during the next untap step
3/1
I like them too. A word of warning, the apprentices of the invasion set made combat calculations very hard. To many of these choice cards will complicate the board tremendously.

Another tribal hate uncommon -- and this one is spoiled by yours truly! Artist Joshua Raphael was kind enough to sit down and chat with me. The preview video includes a sneak peek at some of his sketches and development assets for the card. After I do the audio editing of our conversation, I'll release it on the Chateau Cube podcast.

Sawblade_Slinger_EN.png

View attachment 5570
:oops: I think I'm in love. The utility, the end game punch, the self-mill synergy, the fixing. wow.
This is a strong card!
I remember reading an article of mr Rosewater on oddesey block and somewhere in there stood that threshold was not a great mechanic, since it requires keeping track of something you are not used to... Seems they made an 180 on that assessment.

Yeah they seems to have backtracked on that particular assessment recently with mechanics like Delirium and more recent printings of various GY counting.

72ea7spb5ex71.pngznqacgac5ex71.png

guh.

This seems very strong and yet very fair. I'm loving W getting in on the graveyard value party, now all it needs are so enablers! Still, for those of us with graveyard-focused cubes, this seems like another step in a cool direction. My only issue is that it might be too good as a brick wall because my players will never want to kill this despite the back side being so horrendously slow. Otherwise this would be a slam dunk for me. Maybe it's a teachable moment.

View attachment 5575View attachment 5574

guh.

This seems very strong and yet very fair. I'm loving W getting in on the graveyard value party, now all it needs are so enablers! Still, for those of us with graveyard-focused cubes, this seems like another step in a cool direction. My only issue is that it might be too good as a brick wall because my players will never want to kill this despite the back side being so horrendously slow. Otherwise this would be a slam dunk for me. Maybe it's a teachable moment.
If they do not kill it, they die by the judge. It has vigilance and flying so in most cases it demands an answer.

I like it a lot. Sweet mini game and it breaks open board stalls in an original way. It is fair since you have 3 turns before it starts attacking and when you have to kill it you still have 3 turns after disturb to answer it.

View attachment 5575View attachment 5574

guh.

fun card. The first point of comparison for the backside that comes to my mind is approach of the second sun, and both seem to have similar "dwell times" between first notice and game win/loss.