General [WAR] War of the Spark

I disagree. For the reasons stated above in this discussion about some players being better than others and being better at reading signals correct.

But I guess it is alright to have some people disagree on an online forum every now and then. My players would not get tricked by the frames. Maybe yours will and you see no reason to teach them.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onward to spoilers!

Let's!

teyotheshieldmage.jpg
thewanderer.jpg

So... which of these two is more annoying to deal with for mono red aggro in standard?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That was my gut feeling too, but on the other hand, The Wanderer might have some more applications. Temur Reclamation needs to deal with the Wanderer first, because it shuts down all their win conditions. Sultai has a lot of recursion and big threats, and the Wanderer gives you two exile effects. Also, assuming you have a board left when The Wanderer hits, mono red has no way to deal with your threats anymore, other than through combat damgage. Them winning through combat damage might be tricky though, considering their biggest creature is a 3/3 first strike. And if they do play a variant with Phoenixes, the exile effect really hurts. I'm really curious to see how this plays out, but I'ld say things look grim for mono red.

jiangyangguwildcrafter.jpg

Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter {2}{G}
Legendary Planeswalker — Yanggu
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it has “{T}: Add one mana of any color.”
-1: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Loyalty: 3

mowuloyalcompanion.jpg

Mowu, Loyal Companion {3}{G}
Legendary Creature — Hound
Vigilance, trample
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be put on Mowu, Loyal Companion, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are put on it instead.

3/3

Awww, so cute. I kinda like both of these. What do we think about Jiang Yanggu vs Rishkar, Peema Renegade?

A couple of general thoughts about the set:-

- Having an Army mechanic that makes one big creature instead of lots of little ones is very strange
- This seems like the perfect set for Afflict as it both fits into the lore, and creates actual decisions when a lot of the time you'll be blocking for a planeswalker.

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magicspoiler.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F04%2FViviens-Arkbow-190x265.jpg%3Fx71407

This is a pretty nifty card. Maybe not the strongest, but it's a cool discard outlet in a creature-heavy deck. Good in UG with TOL manipulation and so on. And I really like how they are printing some colored artifacts!

Which of these two [..something, something..] in standard?

Holy s..
I have been so focused on Cube that I forgot all about Standard. There’s going to be tons of walkers in Standard when this set releases. Many of them will probably not be good but there has got to be someone making a Superfriends deck work in upcoming Standard meta post WAR release :D

636898051723866141.png

This seems preeeeetty nice! We've come a long way since Erg Raiders!

I've needed a 2-drop zombie costing 1B for so long. The potential value this provides is insane, especially when considering that many of the important zombies cards cost less than 3 mana. Being able to re-grow and play a Cryptbreaker on turn 4 is straight gas in my opinion.

We need like one more good 1B cost zombie and the tribe is going to be playable in cube.

A couple of general thoughts about the set:-

- Having an Army mechanic that makes one big creature instead of lots of little ones is very strange
- This seems like the perfect set for Afflict as it both fits into the lore, and creates actual decisions when a lot of the time you'll be blocking for a planeswalker.

Maro in the article Storm Scale: Kaladesh and Amonkhet

" When we designed afflict, the idea was to make a throw-forward mechanic for War of the Spark, but the way it played out (and the way War of the Spark design worked), it didn't end up being a good fit, so the most obvious place for its return isn't going to happen. That leaves its future a bit up in the air. It's a simple enough mechanic, but has enough strikes against it that I only see its return coming if it's the perfect solution to a future design problem. Unlike exert, I don't see this as nearly as likely. "

Reactions: dbs

dreadhordearcanist.jpg

Dreadhorde Arcanist
1R
Creature - Zombie Zauberer (Wizard)
Trample

Whenever Dreadhorde Arcanist attacks, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to Dreadhorde Arcanist's power from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Ok, so I like this card. First, regardless of what other colors you're playing, this can flashback at least cards like Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Burst Lightning (free of kicker). This list doesn't include cards like blue cantrips, some cheap black removal, etc. The most exciting part about this for me is how good it is with pump effects, auras, equipments, and counters. You can mentor it quite easily, as well. Pretty much every deck playing red in my cube will be able to make use of this if the pilot wants to. It is potentially a windmill slam for me, and one of my favorite cards in the set so far.