Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

I love it. Great for self mill, Bx recursive aggro, etc. I'm planning on swapping it in Gravebreaker Lamia's place and then swapping out dread Presence with this nice fellow:
1622390984240.png
"Abhorrent Gravedigger"
2BB
Creature - Zombie
Deathtouch

Whenever Abhorrent Gravedigger enters the battlefield, search your library for a card, and put it into your graveyard.
Illus. Chris Cold
2/2​

Those sounds like good swaps.

My black section is framed so heavily around delve and self-recurring creatures that I find the creature-counting goyfs like splinterfright and nighthowler a bit awkward. I only run these right now due to their flexibility:

Gravedigger is spicy!

i said this in the brainstorming discord but i’ll say it again: tireless provisioner is a godsend for retail cubes. it does all the cool synergy that tireless tracker does (minus “draw cards” and “+1/+1 counters” synergies i guess it but it has others instead), but it doesn’t become massive and draw a billion cards and totally warp the game around it like tracker does. really nice power downgrade/synergy sidegrade for an amazing high power cube card.

Those sounds like good swaps.

My black section is framed so heavily around delve and self-recurring creatures that I find the creature-counting goyfs like splinterfright and nighthowler a bit awkward. I only run these right now due to their flexibility:

Gravedigger is spicy!
That's fair. It does count cards in all GYs though, so even with delve etc, its liable to grow pretty beefy.

i said this in the brainstorming discord but i’ll say it again: tireless provisioner is a godsend for retail cubes. it does all the cool synergy that tireless tracker does (minus “draw cards” and “+1/+1 counters” synergies i guess it but it has others instead), but it doesn’t become massive and draw a billion cards and totally warp the game around it like tracker does. really nice power downgrade/synergy sidegrade for an amazing high power cube card.

It is definitely an interesting alternative to Tracker, and something I will test. It’s all about the treasure token trigger for me. Useful in land destruction strategies like wildfire and death cloud...greater potential for combo with things like marionette master. The ramp in general is a little more useful to me than lotus cobra since you don’t have to use the mana right away. The food tokens are just gravy

I just wish so many of these land payoff cards weren’t three drops

Necrogoyf
3BB
Creature - Lhurgoyf
Necrogoyf's power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.

At the beginning of your upkeep, each player discards a card.

Madness 1BB

The translation is a little off.

"It's at the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards a card."

So it's that much stronger!

true. those 3 all seem to operate in different power bands and archetype venns though, which helps because you likely wouldn’t see more than 2/3 of them in the same cube

Archon of Cruelty actually looks in my ballpark for a renimation target. What do you think?
I think the Archon is a great reanimation target. It provides immediate value when entering the battlefield, meaning that dying before an attack is not that big of a deal. However, it kills slowly enough that the opposing player has a little bit of time to come up with an answer! It seems like a good card to reanimate at higher power levels.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think the Archon is a great reanimation target. It provides immediate value when entering the battlefield, meaning that dying before an attack is not that big of a deal. However, it kills slowly enough that the opposing player has a little bit of time to come up with an answer! It seems like a good card to reanimate at higher power levels.
Slowly enough? It can deal 21 damage in two turns if your opponent has no ways to block a flyer.

I suspect, from some lookin' I did on a couple cubes a while back that a lot of us have "2/2 formats". Not necessarily at 3 mana, just the general creature size in combat. From Sigh, Again:
1622408442300.png

Inscho's Graveyard Combo cube
1622412613965.png

Dom's Current Cube
1622412697148.png

Onder's Wheel of Change
1622412755189.png

TGT's Highball, Legacy of the Rails
1622412803246.png

Format looks like 1/1 is the biggest spike, but many of the 1/1 column actually act on the field as 2/2's (Rakdos Cackler, Adorned Pouncer, vinelasher kudzu etc), so this format definitely spikes hard at 2/2.

I may need to look into getting a couple more 3/2's into the mix so that the 2/2's have a little more interactivity. Lots of symmetrical p/t's from what I'm seeing. Also think that 4/3's are better for a 2/2 format than 4/4's, since they open up interaction to the 1/1's and 3/x's running around. Basically, the platonic ideal RTL creature?

Bonus to it all is that X/X-1 creatures make things easier for red to deal with. Shock can punch a bit farther up, and Lightning Strike the same story. The fact that 2 seems to be the predominant toughness is actually why I was happy leaving out Bolt. A shock variant does the job just a well to a very broad section of the format (Burst Lightning right now, may become something else like Pillar of Flame)

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Combine-Chrysalis-MH2-672.jpg
\

oooooooooooo

i’m realllllly doubtful that that ends up doing anything outside of retail limited where there are massive amounts of squirrels to size up. it costs 6 mana to turn a 1/1 into a 4/4 flier (obviously you get a bulk discount in later turns)

Clearly it's upgrading Food into Monsters...
lol
and to be clear, in its home format i think it can actually do stuff, provided the up front cost is acceptable, because there are crazy token levels in MH2. but you would need similar format speed/power as well as similar amounts of cheap token production to make it work in a cube