Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

I was on vacation for the majority of last week and was getting caught up with work this week so I wasn't able to dive into the set till now, but man was this set underwhelming. I don't really mind since MID was a banger for me, but I'm really not feeling this one at all. That's a first for an Innistrad set. Mechanics are mostly ehh, I think Cleave is one of the ugliest Magic mechanics of all time, and most of the cards aren't really doing it for me. I might have 2 additions in total?

Last edited:
Cleave did nothing wrong!
But yeah it’s a chill set overall. i did end up with plenty of “yeah ok i’ll test this” cards but only three slam dunks (Lancer, Visionary, Taxidermist)

I am thinking hard weather I want to include a bunch of blood token makers.

The black ones and Betrayal have a decent baseline even without madness or artifact synergies, but none of these excite me.
Also I hate wizards for having green be the only color without a blood producer. I mean, come on, it's like they explictly want me to not support green madness.

I am thinking hard weather I want to include a bunch of blood token makers.

The black ones and Betrayal have a decent baseline even without madness or artifact synergies, but none of these excite me.
Also I hate wizards for having green be the only color without a blood producer. I mean, come on, it's like they explictly want me to not support green madness.
thanks for highlighting these!
i may end up testing some of these producers in my arena cube. i already have some sac/artifact/draw two stuff in there and these support all those themes if i ignore the parasitic blood-only payoffs.

Sorry @ravnic Wizards will likely never support your green madness. I believe I wrote this to you three years ago as well. Obviously never say never. If I were you I would either decide to live with that situation or quit the green madness and settle for either mono red madness or another combination that isn’t Gruul :( You will get a card here and there but most likely not a fully fledged support set like we all want for you.

I am very happy you got the Blood Tokens because they are awesome and should fit in perfectly in red madness.

I just wanted to point your direction to this oddity.

8E65A2D2-F0A5-42EA-9381-1DC57A84B260.png

What an unusual design. It rewards you for having a card in exile. And it has no way of exiling a card itself.

Sorry @ravnic Wizards will likely never support your green madness. I believe I wrote this to you three years ago as well. Obviously never say never. If I were you I would either decide to live with that situation or quit the green madness and settle for either mono red madness or another combination that isn’t Gruul :( You will get a card here and there but most likely not a fully fledged support set like we all want for you.

I am very happy you got the Blood Tokens because they are awesome and should fit in perfectly in red madness.
makeplayingcards.com has all your green madness design gaps covered, jussayin

Oh, I think you are right. Well, we almost got Unearth as the Golgari Mechanic for the latest Ravnica set, so there is some hope. But anyways, a card here and there is fine. It's not like I want them to create an archetype that doesn't exist yet. It just needs like two more enablers and maybe one payoff that I am happy with green.

However, white is the last color I'd expect madness support in, and now we got two incredible enabers and the whole disturb mechanic, which can work within such a shell, so I am a little disappointed still.

I am very happy we get to see more of white and even see white digging into the color pie. It is sorely needed for the game overall if you ask me.

This was not the case 10 years ago but it started to be a problem about 5 years ago. With white caring about the graveyard every now and white also has some card draw on low mana value creatures we’re starting to get there.

Sadly this steps on green’s toes but I think green has enough at the moment.

And sadly this goes against your wishes for green discard/madness. However I do believe we will see plenty of green graveyard-mechanics, cards that self mill and cards that can be activated from the graveyard. Just no Wild Mongrel and Arrogant Wurm.

Last edited:
Definitely like the new white cards.

Sadly this steps on green’s toes but I think green has enough at the moment.

Honestly think Green has replaced Blue as the basically-does-everything color. It could lose a few things and it would be better for the color's identify and for the game too.

Gonna put some of the Commander cards here that are interesting rather than making a new thread for them.

occultepiphany.jpg

Secure the Wastes meets Pull From Tomorrow? I love stocking up my graveyard and getting enough blockers in the way to help keep me alive while I drudle, I think I like this more than all the other neat blue draw spells we saw in the main set, even if it doesn't actually....draw you a single card. Still gotta think more about this one before I commit.

priestoftheblessedgraf.jpg

White's Ophiomancer I guess? White's 3s are pretty stacked already, and while I think it's reasonable to get a token out of this card most turns, if your opponent really doesn't want you to get those spirits, they can stop you or make you hold back lands yourself. While it's interesting, I don't see it as so much better than a Seller of Songbirds that I can seriously consider it.

sinisterwaltz.jpg

The explosiveness of Victimize without requiring anything on-board -- but it does require three creatures in your yard (edited for correct rules, thanks @Rusje). I like the art, the flavor, and the effect, and that it signals Rakdos as a good reanimation pair. One mana more than I'd have liked to see as a slam-dunk include, but I'm going to have to look very carefully at my RB section for this one.

shadowgrangearchfiend.jpg

A serious Madness payoff. The 8 life will really be closer to 5 life most of the time when it's cast with the life gain effect, and this is a reasonably powerful enough card to justify being in reanimation decks, many of which may be able to Madness the Archfiend out as a backup plan too. I'm not sure what black top-end card I'd replace this with, as I like the artifact-ness of its closest synonym in my cube, Noxious Gearhulk, but this Demon is certainly worth some consideration and is the most exciting of the new cards for me.

Last edited:
hauntingimitation.jpg

This looks cute.

scionofopulence.jpg

Damn it, WotC, I'm running out of space in the Capitalism Cube for sweet Treasure cards.

Gonna put some of the Commander cards here that are interesting rather than making a new thread for them.

View attachment 5667

Secure the Wastes meets Pull From Tomorrow? I love stocking up my graveyard and getting enough blockers in the way to help keep me alive while I drudle, I think I like this more than all the other neat blue draw spells we saw in the main set, even if it doesn't actually....draw you a single card. Still gotta think more about this one before I commit.

View attachment 5668

White's Ophiomancer I guess? White's 3s are pretty stacked already, and while I think it's reasonable to get a token out of this card most turns, if your opponent really doesn't want you to get those spirits, they can stop you or make you hold back lands yourself. While it's interesting, I don't see it as so much better than a Seller of Songbirds that I can seriously consider it.

View attachment 5669

The explosiveness of Victimize without requiring anything on-board -- but it does require three cards in your yard and will fizzle if one disappears before resolution. I like the art, the flavor, and the effect, and that it signals Rakdos as a good reanimation pair. One mana more than I'd have liked to see as a slam-dunk include, but I'm going to have to look very carefully at my RB section for this one.

View attachment 5670

A serious Madness payoff. The 8 life will really be closer to 5 life most of the time when it's cast with the life gain effect, and this is a reasonably powerful enough card to justify being in reanimation decks, many of which may be able to Madness the Archfiend out as a backup plan too. I'm not sure what black top-end card I'd replace this with, as I like the artifact-ness of its closest synonym in my cube, Noxious Gearhulk, but this Demon is certainly worth some consideration and is the most exciting of the new cards for me.
Spells/abilities only fizzle (gets countered) when ALL targets are removed. If one is removed the other two will return.

I am loving these two:

1636424322245.png1636424378796.jpeg
The blink spell scales well and being an instant means it has a lot of play to it.
It can be used to remove blockers and get some cards down the line, save your creatures from removal or just so much value with some ETBs.

The Blue creature is clearly going to be better for my (MP) cube than others, but it does tie a bunch of themes together, all of which I support (blink, artifacts, tokens and draw a bunch with cantrips).
Happy to see more “draw 2” cards. Could be a fleshed out theme with Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse soon.

I *really* want to try that Azorius card out in my Artifact cube.. :D Hell, I might want to try it out in my VINTAGE cube seems like a lot of options there.

occult epiphany definitely has my attention. My whole schtick is card selection over raw card draw, to incentivize the other advantage mechanisms in the cube, and getting some faeries seems like decent upside to not going up any cards (actually going down a card). Especially at instant speed, which enables blocking and other shenanigans.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb