Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I've found that people don't draft the 1RR ones very high, I think due to how it's costed. I'm thinking Firespout might see more play.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
In my experience needing another colour to hit fliers defensively is more relevant than using it offensively. I prefer Anger, but the 'splashability' is nice.

CML

Contributor
as far as i can tell the debate is between which art of firespout to use and the answer is

205.jpg

I love Firespout. I remember dumpstering people for weeks on end with the R/G snow deck, it was a blast to play.

Anyways, has anyone tried or ? I am looking for a large playable black creature.

That's my first time seeing Overseer of the Damned. I really need to pay more attention to Commander releases, I guess. He looks hella sweet. Anyway, I run Rune-Scarred Demon, who is perfectly cromulent, but I'm gonna swap him for the Overseer and see what happens.

I run Tuktuk, who is a ton of fun with my sacrifice theme. He's easy to recur, and he's a nice roadblock for a control deck. He's wrath insurance too! Dude does a ton of work in subtle ways.

I've been kinda torn on those two, really. Overseer is a combination of cards that are generally too good and cards that aren't quite good enough. Honestly I'm still not sure I want it- it's 'good' but I think I'd rather have my shriekmaws cost less than seven. The zombie effect is fine/value/whatever but isn't particularly EXCITING and the relevance of a single (tapped) bear at 7 CMC is questionable. Rune-scarred demon also suffers the boredom of being a stapled effect, but a tutor is a lot more interesting and will lead to a more powerful play at the late stage of the game than one you're forced to cast early for an answer or land of all things.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I recently swapped Overseer of the Damned in for Sheoldred, Whispering One, and I have high hopes. I think they're comparable, but Overseer provides more immediate impact and with higher consistency, while Sheoldred's value depends on what you have to reanimate from your yard.

Rune-Scarred Demon is a lot of fun, too. I recently took out Griselbrand for the demon, so now I've got two black sevens. If you have the space - i.e., aren't running any black sixes, most of which are awful anyways - try both!

Anyone have success with:

Is it any good?

I really wish Grave Titan wasn't so oppressive. If it was just ETB make two bodies or just 1 body each ETB/swing it would be fine. I've seen cool matches where Grave Titan helped stabilize a board and led to more interesting games, but most of the ramp into Titan games are the complete opposite. Especiallly against some Rx deck.

I tried Delay, but it just doesn't do enough. It's technically card disadvantage (unless you can win in 3 turns) and for that to be worthwhile you really need to get something good out of it. Which I don't think you do.

While it's not awful in tempo, even in that I'd much rather play Remand (card parity) or Arcane denial (hard counter plus draw a card - still card disadvantage but it plays MUCH better than delay IMO).

My 2 cents.

CML

Contributor
Anyone have success with:

Is it any good?

I really wish Grave Titan wasn't so oppressive. If it was just ETB make two bodies or just 1 body each ETB/swing it would be fine. I've seen cool matches where Grave Titan helped stabilize a board and led to more interesting games, but most of the ramp into Titan games are the complete opposite. Especiallly against some Rx deck.

i don't mind it, as in constructed Soul of Theros is a lot more powerful but you might not want that. Grave Titan is kinda borderline (Wurmcoil is clearly too good) but do Remember the Titans were printed because other 6's sucked.

Massacre Wurm is the sweetest Black 6 by far (not counting Dan Majerle)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Anyone still run:

I do and love him.
I love Firespout. I remember dumpstering people for weeks on end with the R/G snow deck, it was a blast to play.

Anyways, has anyone tried or ? I am looking for a large playable black creature.
I do kinda like overseer, but massacre wurm has more than earned it's place in my list, and the cards are so similar I don't think I want to make the swap.
If grave titan ever proves too strong I'd choose overseer.

I tried Delay, but it just doesn't do enough. It's technically card disadvantage (unless you can win in 3 turns) and for that to be worthwhile you really need to get something good out of it. Which I don't think you do.

While it's not awful in tempo, even in that I'd much rather play Remand (card parity) or Arcane denial (hard counter plus draw a card - still card disadvantage but it plays MUCH better than delay IMO).

My 2 cents.

In my mind it ought to be at a similar power-level to Memory Lapse. It takes 2 turns longer for the spell to come back (though at no cost), and the situation could have changed enough in that time to make it far less effective or even useless. Imagine countering a ramp spell, Standstill, wrath, any x-spell, Tragic Slip, or even another counterspell.