The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

this card is both going to the graveyard pretty soon if you wana and giving you an additional card thats probz going to the deadzone. A fair play in an environement filled with 1/1 tokens and 2/1 dudes for 1 and 2.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Update on what I've been brainstorming for the upcoming color shifty patch:
nWNI5TT.jpg

This should be way more fair than curse of predation

cx18R7U.jpg

Here's the grisly salvage I have planned. Being a creature itself helps if you mill it with the other cards, and I'm not sure there's a magic player alive who doesn't love evoke. Might change to being an elemental, if anyone cares.

10jiBZC.jpg

Showing my love for one of the best red cards in BFZ

FBXSutT.jpg

Another attempt at the "White removal spell that isn't an enchantment"

2wDo3ML.jpg

Lucas: IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!

qGK06yQ.jpg

Pod into this

cfwYeAv.jpg

But not with this guy, since he won't be dead

e8widvr.jpg

Might end up as a 2/2?
I love voice of resurgence for giving you value when it dies and when it's in play, and hopefully this works that angle well enough

CLukJxL.jpg

I kinda want there to be a keyword for frost titan shroud, but I'm also not sure how often it'd see use

Cacherunners is going in my Cube!

Could Overthrow maybe be 'opponent sacrifices creature they control w/ greatest toughness' to be a cleaner answer to voltron strategies, hexproof and other tricky shenanigans

Can the white command get any Plains instead of a basic? Still seems fine I think

Bog Tender and Angel of Hope rule

re: the Frost Titan ability, what about:

Frostwarden {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
Chill 1 (Spells or abilities your opponents control that target this permanent cost {1} more to cast.)
Other creatures you control have Chill 1. (multiple instances of Chill stack separately.)
1/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cacherunners is going in my Cube!

Could Overthrow maybe be 'opponent sacrifices creature they control w/ greatest toughness' to be a cleaner answer to voltron strategies, hexproof and other tricky shenanigans

Can the white command get any Plains instead of a basic? Still seems fine I think

Bog Tender and Angel of Hope rule

re: the Frost Titan ability, what about:

Frostwarden {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
Chill 1 (Spells or abilities your opponents control that target this permanent cost {1} more to cast.)
Other creatures you control have Chill 1. (multiple instances of Chill stack separately.)
1/1

I had overthrow like that origionally, but it felt black :(
Up to you, but this isn't really something that happens that often. Basically only topple

White command already has a lot of options on it, I'm not sure I also want it fixing as well :p

I love chill actually! I think it works better than Kira shroud in limited

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

HOW CAN YOU NAME A CARD HUMBLE COMMAND AND NOT HAVE A HUMBLE MODE ON IT!!!!?!!!ONE!!!>!?!

Also, the last line should read "Search your library for a basic Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library." Capital P for Plains, and a reveal clause are missing right now ;)

Also also, the gain 2 life option does not seem like it would be picked ever, because a 1/1 flyer and a Plains card are pretty much always better?

Hmm... Humble mode plus the token would be a nice kill spell that effectively said "destroy target attacking creature, put a 1/1 flyer into play"!

I really like Brute of Pyros. Might steal that for my own cube if Magus of the Wheel doesn't work out!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Did the old version of this not work out?

It was okay, and not really worth being 2 colors for. It kinda basically had undying, which was just really boring.
Hopefully this will provide some marginal utility so people actually want, not wheel this card :p

HOW CAN YOU NAME A CARD HUMBLE COMMAND AND NOT HAVE A HUMBLE MODE ON IT!!!!?!!!ONE!!!>!?!

Also, the last line should read "Search your library for a basic Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library." Capital P for Plains, and a reveal clause are missing right now ;)

Also also, the gain 2 life option does not seem like it would be picked ever, because a 1/1 flyer and a Plains card are pretty much always better?

Hmm... Humble mode plus the token would be a nice kill spell that effectively said "destroy target attacking creature, put a 1/1 flyer into play"!

I really like Brute of Pyros. Might steal that for my own cube if Magus of the Wheel doesn't work out!

Honestly the card came before the name. It could be 3 life. This is a 7 mode 2cc spell, some of these are gonna be marginal :p
And also the humble +Block mode moves it away from what I want it to be. The last thing my cube needs at the moment is more removal!

I really like the idea of a red deck that wins with spells. It's weird that red control isn't more of a thing, considering red can destroy anything that's not an enchantment, including players and planeswalkers. Sitting behind a big 0/5 while slinging fire everywhere sounds like a blast!

There's bit there with young pyromancer on the upper end of the power level, but not a huge ammount. I don't think I'd like a deck that wins VIA nothing but burn, but capitolizing on the large ammount of flexible spells you've drafted is fine by me.

Also: red control is a thing

Chris Taylor

Contributor
New Custom Cards Part 3
USrOJj5.jpg
zfe7lnH.jpg
7ZwK2gQ.jpg
lQRVxYt.jpg

Human Token is for Humiliate (See post 1) and Elemental token is for young pyromancer because those tokens are like 4$ each :p

Link to whole album is in my sig (as always)
Currently working on getting cubetutor updated.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In the meantime, here's the proper actual patchnotes:

Out In
Benevolent Pastor Brothers in Arms
Dragonscale Sentry Loyal Guard Hound
Perigrine Scout Arashin Steadfast
Perigrine Scout Apprentice Wolfhand
Consul's Lieutenant Loyal Cathar
Topan Freeblade Theraben War Marshal
Shaper Mystic Soltari Trooper
Phantom Nomad Ajani's Twinclaws
Charismatic Dictator Eldrazi Displacer
Ascendant Exorcist Master Splicer
High Sentinels of Arashin Geist Honored Monk
Mana Tithe Swords to Plowshares
Sunlance Condemn
Sunlance Humiliate
Journey to Nowhere Police Brutality
Journey to Nowhere Overthrow
Citadel Siege Spirit Cairn
Rout Day of Judgement

Phantasmal Bear Serene Medicant
Riverwheel Apprentice Cloudfin Raptor
Riverwheel Apprentice Cloudfin Raptor
Frostbringer Frost Darter
Fogchaser Fist of Flowing Water
Field Researcher Bounding Master
Field Researcher Rootwater Harrier
Sea Gate Oracle Rootwater Harrier
Eldrazi Skyspawner Apprentice Drake Rider
Man-'o-War Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
Man-'o-War Hoarder of Secrets
Conundrum Sphinx Territorial Drake
Whirler Rogue Chronoflitter
Distortion Strike Constant Progress
Scatter to the Winds Jace, Architecht of Thought
Treasure Cruise Deep Analysis

Diregraf Ghoul Gravecrawler
Diregraf Ghoul Vampire Fledgling
Bloodsoaked Champion Dark Intruder
Novice Necromancer Dauthi Horror
Carrier Thrall Thrill-Kill Assassin
Skirsdag High Priest Necromancer Magus
Restless Reaper Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
Skinrender Relentless Persecution
Gilt-Leaf Winnower Weeping Fit
Unravel Doom Blade
Reave Soul Go for the Throat
Reave Soul Murderous Cut
Curse of Shallow Graves

Rakdos Pit-Beast Southshore Brigand
Prophetic Flamespeaker Southshore Brigand
Cunning Sparkmage Vithian Dunerunner
Gruul War Riders Raid Captain
Seige-Gang Commander Agent of Chaos
Flame Slash Goblin Dark-Dwellers
Valakut's Vengence Burst Lightning
Geistbolt Dragonfire
Exquisite Firecraft Meteor Strike
Molten Rain Outpost Siege
Blasphemous Act Chandra, Flamecaller

Experiment One Sylvan Mentor
Elvish Mystic Gnathosaur Hatchling
Sakura-Tribe Elder Sylvan Advocate
Yasova Dragonclaw King of the Jungle
Cytoplast Root-Kin Hidden Bounty
Arbor Colossus Shrewd Ambush
Harmony Charm Supply Raid
Farseek Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Curse of Predation Growth Spasm
Cultivate Collected Company
Birthing Pod Collected Company

Mana Confluence Cogwork Librarian
Mana Confluence Thought-Knot Seer
Lich's Talisman Reality Smasher
Pyromancer's Rig Scuttling Doom Engine
Seeker's Regalia Soul Forge
Plundering Pike Nullstone Monolith
Arbiter's Blade Oracle Stone
Ghoulcaller's Shroud Visionstone
Blasting Station

Geist of St Traft Sphinx's Revelation
Supreme Verdict Reflector Mage
Havengul Lich Huntmaster of the Fells
Lavaclaw Reaches Voice of Resurgence
Rakdos Cackler Charismatic Dictator
Ghor-Clan Rampager Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
Stirring Wildwood Wandering Fumarole
Lingering Souls
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Kiora, Master of the Depths
Lumbering Falls
Trygon Predator
Boros Reckoner
Deflecting Palm

Highlights:
White removal chanced from enchantment based to a more snapcastable
White 1 drops are now a bit more archetype friendly. Suntail Hawk with renown 1 was too strong
Blue now has creatures with +1/+1 counters on them, so that people can surprise me with pitches to force decks (Black does too. Less though. I'm trying! :p)
Man-o-war now has proliferate
Black removal no longer sucks (Reave Soul > Go for the Throat)
Red now doesn't accidentally have half the 1 drops of other colors :p
Trying out CoCo
No more Vulshok Morningstars with damage triggers (Faux Sword of X and Y)
PILES of multicolor cards left.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I'd like to put a question to the audience: Should I embrace the growing onboard complexity by the creeping number of lands with abilities (Not just Shambling Vent and Co, Reality Smasher and friends have demanded a few more utility lands that don't fix mana as well) and add the creaturelands I'm missing:

and probably Faerie Conclave

Or do I try and rein it in, keeping in only the good utility lands that are simple to work with, manlands where they're useful, and not run these sweet sweet cards I have access to now? :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Draft thought because it's 3am and I don't have the time nor the data for a full report:

• we had an 11 person draft for heather's birthday. Some stupid cards were added because it was heather's birthday :p (Will post tomorrow)
  • UG Pitches to force actually becomes a decent deck with the right black splash. Shriekmaw: Really sweet with T1/2 evolve dudes.
  • From the above, experiment two, more complicated than intended. Still worth having, but there are slightly weird corner cases. Graft in an of itself is kinda weird.
  • We had FOUR FUCKING UWR Decks. 3 control, one prowess. Mine was the worst, it had all the wildfires, and lost all night to people with 5 toughness creatures in their deck, and also to people winning long after I cast a wildfire. So if anyone on here was wondering if the deck is just way too good, fear not! I went 0-4 with what looked like a pile of good cards :p
  • nWNI5TT.jpg
    This card is still getting "it's too good" reactions. However, nobody seems to think a GG1 cost would change anything, and it remains the only good reason to attack with green creatures.
  • The Mountain/Colorless scry lands that don't enter tapped were nice, not overpowered, and I deffinitly passed them. I think they're at the right level for something you have to spend a pick on.
  • I added in the pain lands as well on the climb up to 495 for 11 drafters, and it looked necessary.
  • All manlands are in, all of them saw play, nobody had like 4 (which is potentially really confusing for their opponent and really bad for them given they all enter tapped) I hope this is the average case, though I fear it's not.
  • Collected company is both sweet and good. Was totally fine in like a 17 creature deck with a non zero ammount of misses, not like the 20 creatures a lot of people assumed it needed. Apparently hitting decent 3 drop + elf or Eternal Witness regrowing Land + Nest Invader still felt okay, and occasionally it was Drana + Kitchen Finks, Block, kill 2 guys, untap, Restoration Angel.
  • Consecrated Sphinx has basically never lost a game.
Serosuly though, fucking hell. 4 {U}{R} decks! What am I doing wrong? Or right?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah don't get me started. I'm not sure if it's still true, but for a long time, you know what the 2nd most expensive card in dragon's maze was?
elemental.jpg

I should make a tuktuk the returned...

Ral Zarek now edges it out for 2nd place over here in Europe. It's still 3rd though o_O Tokens get printed according to the rarity of the card they go with though, so this is pretty much a mythic token of a very expensive card that sees a lot of play (well, less since Birthing Pod has been banned, but still).

Also, spun your cube for a draft. You run even more customs than me! I love it :)