Sets BNG Spoilers

I mean, singleton is a legitimate design decision; I run singleton, but I also don't run functional reprints because then it's not singleton.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If our third founding father were still around I assume we'd be hearing about this fiasco through backwater channels.

Laz

Developer
I mean, singleton is a legitimate design decision; I run singleton, but I also don't run functional reprints because then it's not singleton.

Any reason why you have decided to stick to singleton? I mean, I understand the whole 'restrictions breed creativity' mindset, but breaking it allows you far more creativity regarding archetype support.

Well, because that's what cube should be; not that I begrudge any of you not running singleton. I feel similarly about custom cards. I think there's enough diversity in printed magic cards to make an interesting environment without breaking either of those. With that said, I'm deliberately lower powered and themes are less integrated across everything; if I ever get into a position where I could cube with a bunch of people regularly, I'd probably build a second cube of the heavily themed riptide style, although I'd probably stick to lower powered, because there are just generally more options there.

I mean, I like designing games, so yeah, restrictions makes it more interesting to me as a design challenge, I guess. Personal preference basically?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Yeah, this is ultimately arbitrary. I give not a single fuck for singleton, but I don't like running custom cards outside of a custom set. There's no reason outside of my aesthetic taste, which is good enough for me and need not be good enough for anyone else.

Laz

Developer
...outside of my aesthetic taste, which is good enough for me and need not be good enough for anyone else.

And everyone will say,
As you walk your mystic way,
"If that's not good enough for him which is good enough for me,
Why, what a very cultivated kind of youth
this kind of youth must be!"

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Preference based decisions are certainly valid to make and everyone makes them. I don't begrudge anyone for any of the arbitrary lines they draw. However, once they go past that and make claims that their arbitrary lines are good design principals and evangelize them, all bets are off.

I'm fascinated by the environments possible in cubes that had decided to break singleton, I was well exposed to all the ideas people had for sub themes that were hard to make work in cube thanks to the mtgs boards and the custom cards designed to reinforce archetypes and I was very curious about why so many of the cubes I've drafted felt so similar over the years (naturally with certain exceptions).

Seeing weirdo cubes like Jason's and Eric's and a couple others reminded me of when I was trying to put together a learners limited format with white boardered draft staples and then made me think about what cool synergies I could come up with if I were in charge of a limited format. Maybe storm or spells matter weren't that much of a pipe dream with the right attitude etc.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
I was playing cockatrice the other day and while hosting a party for a cube draft (playing Jason's cube) a player was extremely critical of the cube breaking singleton. He eventually said the following "that's the whole point of playing cube."

.......................................................................................................................................

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man I love it when the first post I see by someone new is awesome like that :p
I was playing cockatrice the other day and while hosting a party for a cube draft (playing Jason's cube) a player was extremely critical of the cube breaking singleton. He eventually said the following "that's the whole point of playing cube."

.......................................................................................................................................
Maybe for some people, but the reason I cube is because normal limited is boring.

CML

Contributor
Man I love it when the first post I see by someone new is awesome like that :p
Maybe for some people, but the reason I cube is because normal limited is boring.

I guess another thing that comes to mind is that I was partially unaware these were even 'problems' before really going full retard on my 2-of doodz

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Holy crap, people do this? Do you have feedback? Anybody care to teach me Cockatrice someday?

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
Holy crap, people do this? Do you have feedback? Anybody care to teach me Cockatrice someday?

I enjoyed your cube. I drafted a pretty sweet deck that I could find if I dig through all my cockatrice draft files. Just playing an aggro deck and I felt like I had a ton of different lines I could take. However, I was fairly drunk when playing it so having options might have done me more harm than good as I proceeded to get my ass kicked.

I use Cockatrice all the time. What seems to be the problem?

edit:grammar

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
Maybe we should just start a Cockatrice thread and people can post when they are on since you cannot add people that are offline.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
The problem is I've never tried it.

Can you imagine a way we could Utility Land Draft? Are there chatrooms we can use there?
Whenever you set up a room for a draft, all the players in that draft can communicate through the interface. As far as utility land drafts are concerned the best way would be to load the draft decks then individually add the right cards. Most Cockatrice members won't want to go through the trouble though so it would have to be a riptidelab party. Cockatrice is one of the few places where I can say the thing I hate the most is the people on it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we should just start a Cockatrice thread and people can post when they are on since you cannot add people that are offline.

Do it! Maybe make a brief tutorial, and maybe we'll actually start drafting as a community every once and a while? Would be good to get some feedback from outside my own playgroup. I'm sure you all feel the same.

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
I still love the program, testing RTR draft every day for like a month helped me win a PTQ when I was a broke college student living off of my 3 hour a week tutoring job.

Edit:
I can make a written tutorial. It might have to be next week though. I have some double shifts plus the whole prerelease thing this weekend, friends coming into town, and my favorite team is playing in the Super Bowl.

CML

Contributor
I still love the program, testing RTR draft every day for like a month helped me win a PTQ when I was a broke college student living off of my 3 hour a week tutoring job.

Edit:
I can make a written tutorial. It might have to be next week though. I have some double shifts plus the whole prerelease thing this weekend, friends coming into town, and my favorite team is playing in the Super Bowl.

I know some guys with a server around here, I'm not sure we'd be able to 'share' it for this site's purposes but I could ask if y'all wanted me to. More likely is that they'd tell us how to get one set up, which happily is the worst-case scenario

Cockatrice is somewhat annoying (playing MTG manually on the computer -- imagine if the gameplay on Modo were as poorly designed as the rest of the client) but again I haven't used it much