Sets BNG Spoilers

There's been some recent support for a Fires archetype, and it could be interesting - although this is a bit late on the curve it makes your topdecks very potent, which is where midrange tends to stumble against control. Considering I was a wee lad who thought an armadillo cloak on a noble panther was completely OP during Invasion (limited English and rules proficiency didn't help), could someone with some insight talk about what made that deck tick? And is it viable in cube?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Did you want a 5 mana fires effect that gets absolutely stupid on big creatures? Cause you got one.

These cards seem super hard to evaluate, but my gut says "not good enough"... and then I realize that maybe it's actually a creature sometimes. That's probably my reaction to all the gods though. 5 mana does seem like a lot for haste granting.

Not sure if this is a useful reference point:

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
At least I can safely say I have absolutely no desire for the GW God. I guess she's good if you want your 5 mana ramp as slow and grindy as possible?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Searing Blood looks like a much more consistent searing blaze:

searingblood.jpg

Also that art makes me squirm

Anyone else laughing at edgewalker: Minotaur edition?
ragemonger.jpg

Karametra looks bad :(
It does look good for EDH though. The indestructable source of mana advantage like that seems super strong.

Lastly: New mana leak variant I'm not interested in?
thassasrebuff.jpg

What will the other archetypes be?

Blue - Flying
Red - Haste?
Whitie - First strike?
Green - Trample? Flash?
Black - Deathtouch? Lifelink? Take 1 damage on upkeep?

First strike check. That one wasn't too hard to guess, I guess.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Wasn't Gatecrash pretty awful? I don't actually know how many GTC cards I run, I just remember it was a huge letdown after the awesomeness of Return to Ravnica. Most everyone was expecting the cycle of hybrid one-drops to be 'completed'.

After seeing the blue preview, I figured all of the Archetype cards would be six mana and mostly unplayable. So glad to be wrong. Hooray for misleading previews!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What was wrong with Gatecrash? I think I'm playing 10 cards from it atm. Finishing the hybrid one drop cycle would have been awesome, though, as there just aren't enough one mana cards around. The last set that was just plain bad for cube was Alara Reborn, which was due in no small part to the gimmick involved.

So far I like a few cards from this set, but I agree that it hasn't been the most exciting one around. Though, they have previewed a few gridfillers and draft commons, so maybe there will be some good stuff around the corner.

CML

Contributor
Wasn't Gatecrash pretty awful? I don't actually know how many GTC cards I run, I just remember it was a huge letdown after the awesomeness of Return to Ravnica. Most everyone was expecting the cycle of hybrid one-drops to be 'completed'.

After seeing the blue preview, I figured all of the Archetype cards would be six mana and mostly unplayable. So glad to be wrong. Hooray for misleading previews!

quite a few, skyjek loyalist striker domri x1 bte reckoner assemble are in mine, and obzedat and a few others are relevant. this set seems a lot worse

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Gatecrash was a poor set for most cards but had a few cards with creative/niche applications that made themselves known over time, this set is just wholly unimpressive so far.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wait is there a playable Archetype card in this set? Also, I feel like that naming scheme is very confusing, design wise.

Oh right, the First Strike dude. MTGS style, anybody want to rank him power-level wise among white's 3-drops?

Wait is there a playable Archetype card in this set? Also, I feel like that naming scheme is very confusing, design wise.

Oh right, the First Strike dude. MTGS style, anybody want to rank him power-level wise among white's 3-drops?
How big would my cube have to be before I could include X white three drops (where X is the number of white three drops that are better than first-strike-lord +1)?