General Boros has a really, really boring theme. Alternatives?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
ok guys stop beating around the bush and tell me where you think these book 1 characters slot in terms of colour pie

Ned
Catelyn
Arya
Jon Snow
Tyrion
Cersei
Jamie
Joffrey
Hound
Robert
Petyr Baelish
Varys
Daenerys
Viserys
Jorah Mormont
Khal Drogo

Ned - W
Catelyn - W
Arya - BW (converted from W by Hound)
Jon Snow - GW (converted G by Ygritte)
Tyrion - UW
Cersei - UBR
Jamie - o_O
Joffrey - B
Hound - BW
Robert - R
Petyr Baelish - U
Varys - UW
Daenerys - RW
Viserys - RB
Jorah Mormont - RWU
Khal Drogo - RG

also

Tywin - UB
Mance Rayder - UG

ok guys stop beating around the bush and tell me where you think these book 1 characters slot in terms of colour pie

Ned
Catelyn
Arya
Jon Snow
Tyrion
Cersei
Jamie
Joffrey
Hound
Robert
Petyr Baelish
Varys
Daenerys
Viserys
Jorah Mormont
Khal Drogo

Ned is as white as clean sheets.
Catelyn is G/W
Arya is R/W
Jon Snow seems fairly G/W to me but I could be wrong.
Tyrion is U/R
Cersei is B/W
Jamie is B/W/r
Joffrey is B/R
Hound is maybe G/B in that Garruk sort of way where he may have been green at one point but bad luck changed his views
King Robert is solid Red, no doubt in my mind
Baelish is U/B
Varys is W/U, maybe a splash of black but I don't think he's as sinister as others.
Daenerys is R/W
Viserys is Tasigur without any power, so yea, black.
Jorah's fairly White, maybe a little blue
Khal Drogo is R/G
Bronn is B/R
Tywin is U/B

And detective mcnulty is r/w, but only CML cares about that.

Yeah the Hound is probably BG. W is pushing it.

I could see Joffrey as RB, too. His cruel whims can be sorta random and unexpected. Though if anyone is pure evil, it's Joffrey. Edit: and Ramsay Snow.

I was also thinking that Arya would be RW, but I wasn't sure if she should be completely aligned with Dany. She isn't evil, but she has this dark fixation that makes me feel she's BW.

Revised:

Ned - {W}
Catelyn - {W}
Arya - {W} , then {W}{B}
Jon Snow - {W} , then {W}{G}
Tyrion - {W}{U}
Cersei - {U}{B}{R}
Jamie - {W}{B}{R}
Joffrey - {B}
Hound - {B}{G}
Robert - {R}
Petyr Baelish - {U}
Varys - {W}{U}
Daenerys - {W}{R}
Viserys - {B}{R}
Jorah Mormont - {W}{U}{R}
Khal Drogo - {R}{G}
Tywin - {U}{B}

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Ned
Catelyn
Arya
Jon Snow
Tyrion
Cersei
Jamie
Joffrey
Hound
Robert
Petyr Baelish
Varys
Daenerys
Viserys
Jorah Mormont
Khal Drogo

Ned = W
Catelyn = Wg
Arya = R
Jon Snow = Wg
Tyrion = UR
Cersei: UB
Jaime: WB
Joffrey: BR
Hound: yeah he seems vaguely Bg
Robert: R
Baelish: UB
Varys: Uw/Bw
Daenerys: WR
Viserys: BR
Jorah: W
Khal Drogo: RG
Bronn: B
Tywin: Uw/Ub

turns out it's hard to humanize green in a GoT-esque setting (but cf. LotR)

I think the wildlings are auto-green. Oberyn would have some green, too.

Mance Rayder may be the most Temur character in the series. I liked him. Wish we got more of him. Also I definitely disagree with some of your character color alignments, Diakonov.

Ned - As W as they come
Catelyn - GW
Arya - WRB (she's complex to me)
Jon Snow - GW (textbook in my mind)
Tyrion - UW
Cersei - BUR (nice mix of evil, clever and action oriented)
Jamie - BR (more direct than Cersei but cut from similar cloth)
Joffrey - B (as mono black as they come)
Hound - BGW (he's a lot of things - this is the best I can come up with for him)
Robert - R (agreed with poster above)
Petyr Baelish - UB
Varys - WU
Daenerys - RW
Bronn - UG (feels like textbook UG to me for some reason)
Tywin - BUR (similar vein to his children, but more RU and less B)
Khal Drogo - RG (vintage)

A couple tough spots were Tywin vs. Baelish. I feel like Baelish embodies blue the most with his intelligence, sneakiness, and treachery, but he's similarly evil to Tywin.

I could almost see the Hound as Abzan. For as dark a character as he is, he hasn't really done things that are truly evil. His one terrible deed he committed was really just following the king's orders.

Edit: just saw your post, ahadabans. I agree about the Hound.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
if you do decide to read the books, i would stop after book 3, it turns into unreadable dreck after that. speaking of which, has anyone finished book 4? or book 5?

thanks for adding Bronn and Tywin, i'd forgotten they showed up prominently in book 1.

someone explain the Hound to me - the consensus seems to be {B}{G} (give or take). how do you guys figure? i'm genuinely curious, and i have no idea where i'd put him myself.

Tyrion seems split between {U}{W} and {U}{R}. are people attributing red to him because of what he does at the end of book 3?

The hound to me has a splash of W because he genuinely I think has a good heart. He's naturally G though, tainted B by what happened to him in the past. He's not evil, but is capable of evil under certain circumstances. That's my take.

Tyrion I don't see R. If anything, what happened at the end of last season was more UW than R. It didn't feel impulsive at all. That was a lifetime in the making and pretty calculated honestly. And not in an evil way in my mind. It was pretty damn just.

I know three people who have finished books 4 and 5. Two of them love the series, the other one feels the same way you do Eric about it being unreadable dreck after a certain point. I only made it through book 1.

Which ones?

I would put Mance Rayder as {U}{G} and Oberyn as {U}{R}{G}.

I fail to see how Tyrion has any white in him. He loves drinking, whores, and recklessly murdered his father. He's uncaring towards a majority of people except a close few whom he's compassionate towards. He's also a bit of a gambler, but a smart gambler. What is NOT red about him? Baelish is EXTREMELY greedy and power-hungry. Too much so to not have black in him. Cersei is smart, but not blue by a longshot. She's easily fooled and very assumptious. The only time she ever thinks anything out is when her paranoia gets to her. I don't see black in Arya as much as I do "angry red". She's not exactly that greedy or amoral. She's adopted a strong hatred towards some but for justified reasons. I doubt she'd shank a farmer for a few gold to survive. I believe she even tried to talk the hound out of murdering a guy once or twice. Not very black to fight against a choice that would only help you.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i think the split in Tyrion seems to come from people viewing his late book 3 actions as "calculated and planned for a long time, and serving justice in its own way" versus "impulsive, rash, reckless". honestly not sure which side i fall on.

also what does it even mean for a character to be green (in general), other than that they love nature

Let's use other characters for example. Ned was noble and honest. Responsible and concerned for others. White as can be. Robert was also caring, but regularly drank, partied, fucked, and basically did as he pleased. All traits considered somewhat reckless but impulsive pleasure experiences that would define red. Now what is Tyrion? A big-brained, regularly oppressed man who does as he pleases with little morals besides whether or not he likes it. What about that sounds white? Calculating your revenge is easily part blue and part red. Red in that he's doing it for himself after being constantly fucked over. Blue because it's not completely impulsive and somewhat calculated even though it was pretty "in the moment". He's also fairly emotionally driven, and will not always do what's best for everyone unless they're close to him. There's so much red in him that if you see white then you're colorblind.

i think the split in Tyrion seems to come from people viewing his late book 3 actions as "calculated and planned for a long time, and serving justice in its own way" versus "impulsive, rash, reckless". honestly not sure which side i fall on.

also what does it even mean for a character to be green (in general), other than that they love nature

Green doesn't mean they need to love nature. It just means they understand the nature of things, their place in it, and don't have much desire to change things unless it seems to go against their perception of what's natural. Even then, they might be reluctant to attempt to change things. The Hound go with the flow and watches out for himself. But he isn't looking to further any major goals or create some form of suitable change that benefits him or others. I feel as though most green characters feel the world operates a specific way and they're just living in its system. Khal Drogo never card to further any goals, either. Just do his thing as a badass pillager and shit. Feels very Gruul, amirite? Ned's wife also has that "preserve my family with as little interference as possible" thing going on. lf her son had quit the war, the only bother she'd have is the lack of justice for Ned. That's it.

Are you getting me on this green thing?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i now understand what Lucas means by "i've gotten into a few arguments about this before so i'm reluctant to participate"

edit: good points about green, i see what you mean about its philosophy about letting things be

Khal Drogo wanted to conquer the seven kingdoms for Dany, though, no? that seems to speak to a little more ambition than you're giving him credit for

i now understand what Lucas means by "i've gotten into a few arguments about this before so i'm reluctant to participate"

edit: good points about green, i see what you mean about its philosophy about letting things be

Khal Drogo wanted to conquer the seven kingdoms for Dany, though, no? that seems to speak to a little more ambition than you're giving him credit for

Only cuz he knows she's Targaryen and should be on the throne.

...is also boring?

Actually I found book 1/2 pretty readable when I realized that if a chapter's outset made me roll my eyes or groan, I could just skip the whole chapter. So that's most of the Sansa chapters, and occasional chapters from the other folks. Kinda like how Charles Dickens is pretty good reading material - if you read the cliffs notes version.

Never got around to reading 3 though, I was busy reading the hijinks of Ian Banks's sentient, idiosyncratic spaceships.