Sets [CNS] Conspiracy Spoilers

Guess it depends on how you feel about two card infinite combos. Might be too easy to assemble is the only negative I can see.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Guess it depends on how you feel about two card infinite combos. Might be too easy to assemble is the only negative I can see.

Probably super easy. Any sac outlet will do it really, it doesn't have to be bombardment. Falkenrath, Carrion Feeder, uh, some other card I'm not remembering.

I'd debate how playable the +1/+1 counter conspiracy card is.

Having to name your card ahead of time is really clunky. I actually hate the game becoming a physical chore beyond reading cards. Flip cards were a slight stretch, two-faced cards were over the line for me. I'll consider conspiracies that don't require notation, like "you go first." The extra pack guy is really weird, but I'm intrigued by the trade-a-pick guy. Very interesting.

CML

Contributor
I will be trying most of these, obviously, but I'm not sure I'll like any of them but the Librarian:

-extra pack is great and all but miserable if the card is drafted near the end
-trading a hate-drafted card is also fun but it's during deckbuilding

in general lengthening the draft (as opposed to fitting neatly in as is the case with Librarian) generates fierce opposition

at any rate, i'm still waiting for the bear that you can sacrifice to do a Utility-Land Draft

Oh god I love land draft bear. How would that work?

Land-Draft Bear 2

You may reveal ~ from your draft pool before opening a pack to make a utility land draft pick. If you do, put ~ back into the cube box.
2/2

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Probably super easy. Any sac outlet will do it really, it doesn't have to be bombardment. Falkenrath, Carrion Feeder, uh, some other card I'm not remembering.
So then it becomes the question which card / group of cards is better for (your) cube: Muzzio's Preparations, Finks/Redcap, or sac outlets. I can't imagine the Preparations should be winning that fight, though I could see myself cutting persist.

The hate draft trade construct is funny. That's a nice and probably not too long winded subgame to play following the draft itself.

Oh god I love land draft bear. How would that work?

Land-Draft Bear 2

You may reveal ~ from your draft pool before opening a pack to make a utility land draft pick. If you do, put ~ back into the cube box.
2/2

Actually, that gives me an idea to speed up Utility Land Draft. Have some sort of token going around during the regular draft, and whoever has the token just picks a utility land when they have a chance and passes the token. This is assuming you have all the lands on the main table with you, and hoping the token doesn't get stuck behind the one person who takes forever.

Worldknit
Conspiracy (Rare)
(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)
As long as every card in your card pool started the game in your library or in the command zone, lands you control have "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Backup Plan
Conspiracy (Rare)
Draw an additional hand of seven cards as the game begins. Before taking mulligans, shuffle all but one of your hands into your library.

Scourge of the Throne {4}{R}{R}
Creature — Dragon (Mythic)
Flying
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Whenever Scourge of the Throne attacks for the first time each turn, if it's attacking the player with the most life or tied for most life, untap all attacking creatures. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
5/5

Drakestown Forgotten {4}{B}
Creature — Zombie (Rare)
Drakestown Forgotten enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards.
{2}{B}, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Drakestown Forgotten: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
0/0

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
BoCaUvKCcAA-Qa0.jpg

I admit, I have a soft spot for giant fatties. This.. might be the one to top all fatties.

A guy that gives you free reign to splash the greediest card you can get your grubby mitts on? Sign me up!

635361381548583486.jpg

When they spoiled Power Play yesterday, I figured that "free mulligan" would be another natural choice for a conspiracy card. I'm pleased as punch that their implementation is actually stronger, since you get to see both hands simultaneously. Anything to solve the lousy mulligan problem!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, that gives me an idea to speed up Utility Land Draft. Have some sort of token going around during the regular draft, and whoever has the token just picks a utility land when they have a chance and passes the token. This is assuming you have all the lands on the main table with you, and hoping the token doesn't get stuck behind the one person who takes forever.

What's to disincentivize somebody from just camping on it until they have more information? The later you can make your utility picks, the better.

I think if people know what they're doing the ULD is pretty fast. It went relatively quickly on Sunday, and that had the added stupid layer of a Skype chat.

Worldknit
Conspiracy (Rare)
As long as every card in your card pool started the game in your library or in the command zone, lands you control have "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Fwahahaha. This is so awesome.

Reactions: CML
635361381548583486.jpg

When they spoiled Power Play yesterday, I figured that "free mulligan" would be another natural choice for a conspiracy card. I'm pleased as punch that their implementation is actually stronger, since you get to see both hands simultaneously. Anything to solve the lousy mulligan problem!

Left field, but is that guy on Backup Plan a goblin? Or what is he?

I wasn't feeling the conspiracy cards before, but Backup Plan, Power Play, and Worldknit seem like they add great fun and depth. I agree that hidden agenda seems like a chore to use, and none seem all too powerful even despite Squadron Hawk type multiples.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Worldknit
Conspiracy (Rare)

wait, how could that condition not be met?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Doesn't Worldknit promote lazy drafting? Just pick the best card? I guess you still have to take care of a decent mana curve?

Of course you also want to draft as many conspiracies as you can once you drafted Worldknit, since that means you can at least play a 60 card deck or something thereabouts...

AEther Searcher seems like a sweet unoppressive Tinker target :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't Worldknit promote lazy drafting? Just pick the best card? I guess you still have to take care of a decent mana curve?

Of course you also want to draft as many conspiracies as you can once you drafted Worldknit, since that means you can at least play a 60 card deck or something thereabouts...

AEther Searcher seems like a sweet unoppressive Tinker target :)

Worldknit actually has an interesting thing going for it. Along the lines of drafting as many conspiracies, you also would want to take as many lands as possible as to not water down your deck. In retail that means taking basics at the end of packs. In cube you can reduce deck size by taking fetches and whatever, but those go earlier, and you're going to end up playing your end of pack chaff.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's certainly tension, since you don't need the mana fixing at all since your fixing is already perfect. Though fetches are still awesome of course. Those needs to be reprinted someday by the way so I can scoop up a set for my cube for a price that's actually within my budget. (Yeah, yeah, I know, run proxies. Meh, I like real cards.)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

From a logistics standpoint, my concern is that the person sauntering over to make their utility land pick would hold up the actual draft itself, and let several packs accumulate on their doorstep while they're off making a pick on the side table. It's already a bit aggravating when a slow drafter holds up the packs because they're indecisive, and I'm worried that running a second, simultaneous draft would exacerbate this problem.

I just do the utility land draft during deckbuilding. This way, people who aren't currently making a land selection aren't just twiddling their fingers, waiting for a slowpoke to make a choice.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
From a logistics standpoint, my concern is that the person sauntering over to make their utility land pick would hold up the actual draft itself, and let several packs accumulate on their doorstep while they're off making a pick on the side table. It's already a bit aggravating when a slow drafter holds up the packs because they're indecisive, and I'm worried that running a second, simultaneous draft would exacerbate this problem.

I just do the utility land draft during deckbuilding. This way, people who aren't currently making a land selection aren't just twiddling their fingers, waiting for a slowpoke to make a choice.

You keep yours on a side table???

People always start deckbuilding during the ULD at my drafts anyways. It's not really an issue.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The problem there isn't the land draft, it's the slow drafter. Tell them to speed up or (if you have the luxury of being able to choose) don't invite them.