Sets [CNS] Conspiracy Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Do what I do when someone is waffling over a utility land pick: call out the name of the next drafter, so that someone is literally breathing down their neck, with the possibility of snapping up their prized land from right under them. Works every time.

Hahaha, that is awesome! And playable to boot, if nothing special (unless it becomes a 5/5 or gets Tinkered away of course)
I don't like that the add a pack guy is rare and the eat a pack guy is uncommon. Seems loose.

But yeah, sometimes I get a pack with everything my deck needs after it full-tables, and I would totally blow this guy on a pack like that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not going to add the add a pack guy, he seems like a logistical nightmare that rewards your left neighbor the most. You can either pick him and grant your neighbor a second pick for free, or pass him and get eight pick thrash because your neighbor figured he couldn't pass it. I can't foresee it giving a satisfying feeling often.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, the more gimmicky face-up artifact creatures seem like just that - gimmicks. I'm not sure I want to turn the drafting portion of cube into Mario Kart, replete with banana peels and unavoidable blue shells.

I'm more optimistic for the conspiracy and hidden agenda cards that affect gameplay, though. Those seem like they'll give relatively minor boosts, rather than changing the flow of the draft itself, so the tradeoff between taking those and actual powerful spells will hopefully add some tension.

Yeah, the more gimmicky face-up artifact creatures seem like just that - gimmicks. I'm not sure I want to turn the drafting portion of cube into Mario Kart, replete with banana peels and unavoidable blue shells.

Fucking blue shells. God damn those things.

CML

Contributor

I'm more optimistic for the conspiracy and hidden agenda cards that affect gameplay, though. Those seem like they'll give relatively minor boosts, rather than changing the flow of the draft itself, so the tradeoff between taking those and actual powerful spells will hopefully add some tension.

FINAL DESTINATION DOUBLE FOX NO ITAM

yeah you can just hop it if you time it right

they added that big dumb explosion in the later ones though

on topic:
i hope conspiracy is more fun to draft than it looks like

BoCaUvKCcAA-Qa0.jpg
Some of these cards look like such a headache to actually play with.

At first glance I see where you might think that, but I think the text box is going to read a little more like this:

Oracle Text said:
When you draft this card, windmill slam it onto the table, face up. As the player passing to you is groaning, windmill slam your next pick, face up. Take a moment to enjoy the collective groans of the table, and try not to gloat too much about your guaranteed cascade that still triggers even when reanimated or shown and told. ...but oh yeah, be sure write down what the second card was because everyone is totally going to forget.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It looks very fiddly and time consuming to draft.
Drafting already is very time consuming, and it's still the most fun format! Why not make it crazy fun? I'm a big fan of almost all of the draft-related cards (not the extra pack guy), though I don't necessarily want to include all of them in my cube.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
View attachment 77

This looks pretty interesting for cube. It's always on curve and interacts nicely with +1/+1 counters theme if you run that.

Its pretty badass, almost seems too pushed for its own good. I mean, its unreliable on its own, but late game it can completely take things over, while be non-embarassing body on turn 2 if you need it (that can still be a useful mana sink later if your deck has a low curve). He seems a little like a "removal check" to me, but then again not really because its costs a lot of mana to use. I'm definitely considering it, which is nice because so far this set was only giving me one card to even think about.

yeah you can just hop it if you time it right

they added that big dumb explosion in the later ones though

on topic:
i hope conspiracy is more fun to draft than it looks like

You can dodge exploding blue shells with a mushroom. It's tricky but can be done.

Also, you guys are crazy. This set looks wicked fun. I welcome their willingness to step outside their comfort zone and give us innovative new mechanics to mess around with, even if they don't all pan out. As a whole, this set makes the future of Magic look brighter.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Also, you guys are crazy. This set looks wicked fun. I welcome their willingness to step outside their comfort zone and give us innovative new mechanics to mess around with, even if they don't all pan out. As a whole, this set makes the future of Magic look brighter.

I agree, it's been a long time since I was excited about a magic set. This looks very cool!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, it's definitely better that this set exists than if it didn't. I mean, we can all then pick and choose which cards we think are appropriate for our own cube environments. It's all too easy to jump on the Haterade bandwagon, but sometimes it's good to tuck the cynicism away for a minute and just enjoy what's on offer.

I actually think I'm going to buy a box of Conspiracy - something I haven't done in more than three years - because people at work are really enthusiastic about drafting this set.