Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Laz

Developer
faeburrowelder.jpg

This is pretty sweet at base. Where's Laz?

Man, that environment was fun, except for the fact that it was basically 'Over-extend into wrath'-the format. Also, Shock/Fetch might have been a bit too much for it. With the printing of Prismatic Vista it might be interesting to revisit this with slightly more awkward to achieve Domain...

To think, I was planning on having a quiet weekend.

As an aside, Adventure is amazing for Prowess, as I often found those decks had a bit of an issue with threat density.

Good that it's in every color. After seeing the first ones spoiled so early and not having seen black ones yet, I was losing hope.

But, ya, 21 divded up isn't that compelling unless you're in quite a low powered spot. And RRRRRRR isn't accessible for... Anyone, really. Any deck paying RRRRRRR will have killed you before they had a fifth land anyways. Likely a completely dead design. Maybe it has some play if it said like "it deals triple instead" so it could be a 21 point face melter.

The ritual, however, will always be interesting because someone always wants to cast a dragon. I'd test a black variant, for sure.

Man, that environment was fun, except for the fact that it was basically 'Over-extend into wrath'-the format. Also, Shock/Fetch might have been a bit too much for it. With the printing of Prismatic Vista it might be interesting to revisit this with slightly more awkward to achieve Domain...

To think, I was planning on having a quiet weekend.

As an aside, Adventure is amazing for Prowess, as I often found those decks had a bit of an issue with threat density.

The adventures make pretty much anything that wants you to play noncreature spells better. I'm dusting off my Young Pyromancers and polishing my Saheeli, Sublime Artificers for this.

It was a solid pun, in the lsv set review rating scale I'd give this pun a C+, because I see more potential in you.

How good do guys think this guy here is? I've seen people hardcast Search for Tomorrow before. And a fat dumb body is a nice upside, maybe better than the immediate 1/1 I have currently in with Farhaven Elf?

celd-295-beanstalk-giant (1).jpg

Farhaven Elf does enough things differently (land etbt but body only costs 3 to reuse with bounce) that I'd say test both, but I'm cautiously on board with the Giant. Big dumb idiot is a nice upgrade to Untamed Wilds.

It might be very cool but I won’t run it because it is a little too below my power band. If Giant were at 6 mana I would appreciate it but it still wouldn’t synergize with anything interesting in my cube besides ramping.

A thing to note is the Basic land that is being fetched will enter the battlefield untapped which doesn’t happen so often anymore.

I think Beanstalk Big Idiot is probably really nice in any format where 3cmc ramp is good. Having a ramp-into-it threat as flashback on ramp is pretty significant.

As an aside, I really dislike how quickly 1 cmc dorks jump you to 3 and 2 mana rocks jump you to 4, but then 2cmc dorks and 3cmc rocks are preeeetty damn slow. 2cmc dorks are kind of ok cus they ramp a bit quick but are fragile.

I think Beanstalk Big Idiot is probably really nice in any format where 3cmc ramp is good. Having a ramp-into-it threat as flashback on ramp is pretty significant.

As an aside, I really dislike how quickly 1 cmc dorks jump you to 3 and 2 mana rocks jump you to 4, but then 2cmc dorks and 3cmc rocks are preeeetty damn slow. 2cmc dorks are kind of ok cus they ramp a bit quick but are fragile.
Yeah but green is so much worse when it doesn't have access to 1 CC ramp. Remember when people were playing green outside of energy in standard after Elvish Mystic rotated out and before Llanowar Elves rotated back in?

Me neither...

Yeah but green is so much worse when it doesn't have access to 1 CC ramp. Remember when people were playing green outside of energy in standard after Elvish Mystic rotated out and before Llanowar Elves rotated back in?

Me neither...

Agree with Onder here.

Your argument is basically that the most powerful green decks include 1cmc ramp. Which is true. And you'll need it if that's the power your format is at, but you also make it so that your green decks are disadvantaged if they didn't happen to draft the... what, like 7-8? 1cmc dorks and then also draw them because you were expecting the green decks to be at that power level. It also crushes the aggro decks to see a T2 4/4 and/or T3 5/5 too hard for my liking. And then the T2 true ramp like Rampant Growrth can't be interacted with unless you have some cutthroat LD around and then the T4 5/5 is ready to go.

Not my preference at all, but the beauty of cube is that we all get to make those decisions for ourselves.

What TrainMaster said wasn’t the opposite of what Ondezeeboot is saying. Both can coexist in the same universe.

TrainMaster said that green is so much worse without 1cc ramp but Ondezeeboot has simply made everything else in his cube ALSO ‘so much worse’ which means green is doing fine even without 1 cmc ramp.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
but Ondezeeboot has simply made everything else in his cube ALSO ‘so much worse’ which means green is doing fine even without 1 cmc ramp.

Guilty as charged :cool:

I will say that aggro thrives in an environment that takes out the ultra fast ramp, without having to resort to clutch power houses like Sulfuric Vortex and Hellrider.

Having green ramp start at 2 cmc and colorless ramp start at 3 cmc also still conserves green's ramp identity, without having to balance the whole cube around insanely explosive starts.

Green is doing just fine in my cube without 1 cmc ramp.

Yeah but your cube is also very unique compared to most other lists. Your power level is a little bit lower than most rare cubes so your green decks don't necessarily need 1cmc ramp to be competitive. You also seem to have a fairly aggressive green suite, which naturally means that a larger percentage of your green decks won't want as much 1 and 2 mana ramp.

By no means does this invalidate your argument, although I think there's also a little bit more too it than "it works fine."
Agree with Onder here.

Your argument is basically that the most powerful green decks include 1cmc ramp. Which is true. And you'll need it if that's the power your format is at, but you also make it so that your green decks are disadvantaged if they didn't happen to draft the... what, like 7-8? 1cmc dorks and then also draw them because you were expecting the green decks to be at that power level. It also crushes the aggro decks to see a T2 4/4 and/or T3 5/5 too hard for my liking. And then the T2 true ramp like Rampant Growrth can't be interacted with unless you have some cutthroat LD around and then the T4 5/5 is ready to go.

Not my preference at all, but the beauty of cube is that we all get to make those decisions for ourselves.

I'm not sure where this "7=8" 1cmc mana dorks meme has come from in the cube community. Green decks don't need that much ramp to be successful if you build your green section right. If you look at high-preforming green decks from across the history of magic, you'd see that most of them only contain 4 1cmc ramp spells in a 60 card deck. Obviously the midrange decks in current standard are an example of this, as they only run their 4 copies of Llanowar Elves. For a 40 card deck, the same ratio of 1cmc ramp spells is approximately 2.66 cards per deck. In modern, most 60 card decks don't run a full 8 dorks between BoP and Noble Hierarch.

So if most constructed decks don't even run 7-8 1 cmc dorks, why do our cube decks? Because the traditional cube knowledge says "ramp into Emrakul" and everyone seems to think that that is the primary way to build a green ramp package. Then, when people try to re-define what green does, they try to make an entirely new take on the color instead of just not doing the semi-toxic uber-ramp thing that powermaxers do.

I know that rant has little to do with your arguments about stonewalling aggro and rampant growth effects, but it seems wrong to me that people always say you need almost 1/4 of a ramp deck to consist of 1 cmc mana dorks to "be good." Green ramp is more than just playing 12 mana idiots. Yea

Na, 7-8 in the whole thing. I don't know what people actually use, but that's how many I thought of. Then 2-4 in the deck would be what I'd expect.

I actually do like uber-ramp, but based a little higher in the curve. I don't think it's particularly good, but everyone loves casting some massive stuff sometimes. Frontier Siege, Gilded Lotus. Skip me from 5 mana to 10 mana and let me do something obscene. I enjoy seeing that deck have its fun.

Na, 7-8 in the whole thing. I don't know what people actually use, but that's how many I thought of. Then 2-4 in the deck would be what I'd expect.

I actually do like uber-ramp, but based a little higher in the curve. I don't think it's particularly good, but everyone loves casting some massive stuff sometimes. Frontier Siege, Gilded Lotus. Skip me from 5 mana to 10 mana and let me do something obscene. I enjoy seeing that deck have its fun.

I think super-ramp is cool too, but it shouldn't be all that green gets to do like in most power cubes.

My G/U archetype is actually Untapping Enchanted Lands!

Ha, that's one of my favorite UG themes, although I'd likely never run it. The power level difference between Vizier or Voyaging Satyr vs the kind of crucial Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth alone is too significant for me. So I'd have a hard time making it work at the level I like to be at, even if I ran UG, I think. The deck has some really nasty openers if you're running Arbor Elf.