Erik's "The cool side of Magic" cube

There's one draft format I've used in the past that has been a big success but is not as slow as doing a full face-up draft.

Draft the first NUM_PLAYERS boosters face-up, one at a time. I.e. crack the first booster and lay it out in a grid face up. Then each player picks one card at time. I reverse the pick order after everyone has taken one pick. We do this with four players so four packs. With eight players it might be slow, so you could do fewer.

Then afterward you complete the rest of the draft as a normal booster draft. It can be fun for the experienced players because then there's a full-information section of the draft and a hidden-information part of the draft. For the less-experienced players you can talk about the picks out loud during the face-up portion.

Thanks for the suggestion DBS. If our number is low, we'll do that.

Still, if we have, say, six people, how should we draft? 3 packs of 15 cards or it's better to choose something like 4 packs of 12 cards each? The latter seems less distorted than the former.
---
On an unrelated issue, I'm considering sligthy better finishers/reanimation targets than the likes of:

Any tips on how to upgrade them a bit?

What do you think of these upgrades?

Not sure what could upgrade the Hellkite. And yeah I know these two cards are 8 mana instead of 7, which seriously limits their ability to be played. Do you think it will be too bad?

I honestly don't even think you particularly need those high drops. The decks that want some fatties will already be happy with Primeval Titan or Angel of Serenity. You nailed the issue in my mind, 8 drops tend to not be played very often.
I particularly think the gold card is a "wasted" slot. You could probably play something else in Orzhov.

I run 4 packs of 14, then pitch the last 3 in each pack. Gets you the closest to replicating the % of cube seen/player, cards drafter per player, and cards drafted per pack you would have in a "normal" 8-person pod.

View attachment 3896
I use a very similar approach for my cubing because I'm rarely at 8 players. This is a pretty elegant way to handle lower drafter numbers and is very intuitive for the players too. Off topic, but I run 400, which also enables full tenchester at 4 players (10 packs of 10 each, discard 6, 100% cube seen, 40 cards total at the end)

I honestly don't even think you particularly need those high drops. The decks that want some fatties will already be happy with Primeval Titan or Angel of Serenity. You nailed the issue in my mind, 8 drops tend to not be played very often.
I particularly think the gold card is a "wasted" slot. You could probably play something else in Orzhov.
A reason to have a good number of them is that to support Reanimator, there needs to be enough fatties to reanimate that they are not scarce. Reanimator already has to prioritize discard/self-mill, actual reanimation, and some interaction, so it helps to relieve the pressure from picking expensive creatures early.

But yeah, they are pretty narrow. I run 7-drops that are usable in ramp and control instead, or cards that cycle themselves away, I just try to have a large enough amount that Reanimator doesn't have to fight too much for them.

A reason to have a good number of them is that to support Reanimator, there needs to be enough fatties to reanimate that they are not scarce. Reanimator already has to prioritize discard/self-mill, actual reanimation, and some interaction, so it helps to relieve the pressure from picking expensive creatures early.

But yeah, they are pretty narrow. I run 7-drops that are usable in ramp and control instead, or cards that cycle themselves away, I just try to have a large enough amount that Reanimator doesn't have to fight too much for them.
I agree with your point of needing a certain density for the reanimator deck, it's just that looking at Erik's cube, I feel as if there is no dedicated reanimator deck. It seems to be more of a value reanimation since he only has 5? of the effect in black (3 of them being 4+ mana).

I think adding an artifact fatty would be less narrow as that opens the door to Welder and Daretti decks.

I agree with your point of needing a certain density for the reanimator deck, it's just that looking at Erik's cube, I feel as if there is no dedicated reanimator deck. It seems to be more of a value reanimation since he only has 5? of the effect in black (3 of them being 4+ mana).

I think adding an artifact fatty would be less narrow as that opens the door to Welder and Daretti decks.
There should be a reanimator deck but it's not as well-supported as I hoped. It simply doesn't come together as often as I would like.

There are 2 cheap reanimation spells, two more expensive ones. But even if you do get a bunch of those spells, it seems the threat gets answered and you lose. So perhaps I need another cheap spell too, but it's not the only issue.

I actually feel Angel of Serenity is the kind of card I want for my reanimator decks. It feels real in a way other threats aren't.

Last edited:
There should be a reanimator deck but it's not as well-supported as I hoped. It simply doesn't come together as often as I would like.

There are 2 cheap reanimation spells, two more expensive ones. But even if you do get a bunch of those spells, it seems the threat gets answered and you lose. So perhaps I need another cheap spell too, but it's not the only issue.

I actually feel Angel of Serenity is the kind of card I want for my reanimator decks. It feels real in a way other threats aren't.
Well, I can help you with that! As it stands, the two big issues seem to be that reanimator decks can't come together often enough and that even when they do come together, the threats are easily answered. There are ways to combat both of these issues,

Part 1: Reanimation Density
The first thing I would do is think about is density of effects. We want our reanimator decks to be able to do their thing relatively often, or else the opportunity cost of being reanimator is too high. 4 reanimation spells (or 5, if you include The Eldest Reborn) just isn't enough to reliably enable the deck. If you look at reanimator decks from Constructed, they tend to run 12-ish reanimation effects (or during Innistrad Standard, 4 copies of Unburial Rites and 7 ways to get mill them!). In a 40-card Cube deck, that would mean running approximately 8 reanimation spells to reach the proper density and level of consistency of the contructed analogue. That's a lot to try to fit into a single deck, let alone a single cube! Luckily, there are a couple things we can do to work around this.

We're going to run with the assumption that all of our reanimation is going to cost between 3 and 5 mana, with the majority of these effects costing 5. This is important because the legacy decklist I linked above is trying to reanimate as early as possible in an unfair environment, whereas this deck is going to be trying to combo off a little slower in a fairer setting. This means that we can probably get away with running more like 6-ish reanimation spells, since games are inherintly going to be lasting a little longer than in constructed.

Part 2: Picking the Right Reanimation
I like most of the Reanimation effects you have chosen so far. Necromancy is great for it's fast (but not unfair) rate, Dread Return and Unburial Rites can both be used twice, and Living Death can let you bring an entire board into play in addition to being a cool build-around in it's own right. However, there are two cards I don't like. First is Animate Dead. That card is very polarizing and can be hard to beat if someone is going all-in on discard to reanimation curves. The play patterns of Animate Dead effectively lead players into really boring situations where games are decided based on whether or not one player has a Go for the Throat. As such, I would actually reccomend cutting Animate Dead. The other card I would reccomend cutting is The Eldest Reborn. While this card is better in non-reanimation strategies, the fact is, reanimator players are probably going to be using this card as a 5th reanimation spell reasonably often. Even though The Eldest Reborn's first two chapters are pretty good for some controlling strategies, the fact is, other cards can do everything this card can do at better rates and in more interesting fashions. While it is a good card for conserving space, you don't need it here.

This leaves us with Necromancy, Dread Return, and Unburial Rites, plus or minus Living Death depending upon how you wish to categorize that card. This means we want another 2-3 reanimation spells, preferrably ones that can be used multiple times. There are a few options to consider. The first is Beacon of Unrest. This card is nice because it never squanders itself- if it resolves, it goes back into your deck, meaning you can draw it again later. This means that Beacon of Unrest never truly goes away, allowing to effectively increase the the deck's number of un-drawn reanimation spells even after it has already been used. The next good option is Bond of Revival. This card helps to ensure the thing you reanimated gets to attack at least once. The addition of haste fades removal from players who are tapped out or sorcery-speed removal for a turn. The other premium option I want to touch on is Incarnation Technique. While this card's "made for multiplayer" wording is less than ideal, the rest of it's abilities are awesome. It enables itself through milling, meaning that you can usually get a target no matter what. It can also copy itself, letting you get two creatures out of one reanimation spell. Because of the way the Demonstrate mechanic is worded, your new creatures come into play after whatever the opponent brings back if you chose to copy. This means that they can't kill your reanimator target with a sneaky Shriekmaw. Incarnation Technique is definitely a strong option for reanimation.

If you want other options, the generic 4-mana reanimation spells can fill the gaps pretty well. I would look to Zombify, Vigor Mortis, and Makeshift Mannequin as potential inclusions. Makeshift Mannequin is especially nice because it is an instant.

Part 3: Better Targets
Now we come to what appears to have originally spawned your exploration into improving reanimation. When I'm looking at reanimation targets, I'm looking for three things:

1. Immediate Impact. Does this card do something immediately when it comes into play? Does it fail to complete that goal if it dies to removal?
2. Protection. If this card doesn't do anything immediately, can it protect itself?
3. Appeal to Other Archetypes. Do other decks want to play this card? Can this card ever be reasonably cast by those decks? Would I want to hard cast it if I had to?

If it doesn't have an immediate impact, can't protect itself, and doesn't appeal to other archetypes, don't play it.

So what does that mean for picking targets? Well first, I would definitely try to go for cards with more impactful enters the battlefield abilities. I've tested Bogardan Hellkite in the past. It is way to expensive to ever cast and is a C-tier reanimation target at best. You're right to cut it. Ashen Rider is a great upgrade to Angel of Despair. Thorn Mammoth is fine, I would keep it as it is a nice tie-in with ramp. It does fail to kill something if it is killed with instant speed removal, but I feel the combination of immediate impact when it doesn't die to Doom Blade and the Ramp support make it worth it's slot. I think Woodfall Primus is a good card to have in addition to Thorn Mammoth. Primus is cool because because it has Persist, meaning it takes several removal spells to wipe it off the map.

I would suggest trying a couple of other new cards as well. Massacre Wurm can wipe out a board of small things and provides a huge body after the fact. Chancellor of the Annex is nice as it slows down the opponent's game plan when drawn early and has a little built-in protection with it's Mana Tithe ability. Terastodon is cute as a way to kill opposing Planeswakers, Mana Screw an opponent, or convert Useless Lands into Board Presence. Dragonlord Atarka is a more powerful version of Bogardan Hellkite, except there are decks that can actually cast her. Sphinx of the Steel Wind is cute, and it doesn't die to most Shatter effects. Finally, I think the new Velomachus Lorehold from Strixhaven could be good enough to warrant inclusion as a Reanimator target. He can actually start a reanimation chain, which is really cool!

Don't worry about spreadsheet equality! Reanimator targets are rarely going to be the same color as the deck they are supposed to be played in, so if you choose a card like Dragonlord Atarka as one of your targets, you don't need to cut a Gruul card to play it.

If reanimating still proves to be weak after these changes, you could try going all the way up to Griselbrand and similar high-impact cards. These ones will be a little bit closer to "oops, I win," though, so it would be wise to avoid them until you've exausted other options.

Part 4: Expand into White?
There's another way you can hit the proper densities of reanimation effects without having to shove a ton of reanimation spells into black: expand into White! There are actually a number of White reanimation spells that are about on-par with some of the medium-quality black reanimation that we would expect to see in a fair cube. For example, white has access to:

As you can see, White actually has a fair amount of Reanimation it can play. While it doesn't have as many ways to dump things into the graveyard as Black does, it still has a premium effect or two. Seasoned Hallowblade is one of the best ways to get creatures from a hand into a graveyard! But the Hallowblade doesn't have to do it alone- it can get support from other colors, too!

The nice thing about expanding reanimation into White is that it lets you make "reanimation" into a specific two-color archetype as opposed to just being Black and whatever other color the drafter can scrounge. You can deepen the pool of support for reanimation without having to commit huge amounts of slots from a single color. It also lets you play 8 reanimation spells easily: 4 in Black, 4 in White, and Unburial Rites actually brings you to nine! Finally, expanding reanimation to White also allows your drafters the ability to create some cool "emergent" decks. I don't think anyone expects that they could end up reasonably playing Boros, Selesnya, or Azorius reanimator when they sit down for a draft. Adding support to reanimation to White gives your drafters the ability to draft a cool new archetype and create memorable gameplay experiences. It's a win-win for everyone!

Part 5: Bits and Bobs
There were a couple of smaller things I noticed when looking at your list which would help reanimator, but didn't deserve their own full sections. First, I would Highly reccomend adding some addition Rummaging and Looting effects to the cube. For Blue, I would try to implement a Thirst effect or some similar way of drawing then discarding. For Black, I would try to find extra free discard outlets such as Putrid Imp or Olivia's Dragoon, as well as some more self mill effects. For Red, Merchant of the Vale and Cathartic Reunion would be great additions (they also support madness!). In green, I would find space for Noose Constrictor and some additional self-mill "cantrips" such as Winding Way. I would also cut back on White's broken removal such as Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares in favor of more Pacifism and Oblivion Ring type effects. Even if you want your format to be high powered, the Swords effects are really punishing to any deck trying to play creatures that cost more than 3 mana to cast. They are especially bad for reanimator, who's entire gameplan revolves around getting some massive creature into play through a complex web of spells.

Hopefully this helps!
-GT

Last edited:
Adding Resurrection was one of my favorite moves when it came to supporting reanimation decks.

Can't forget Karmic Guide either! bins itself after you get the reanimation effect (unless you pay to keep it), which can help it become a target for other recursion to keep the reanimation chain going. For example, it can be really gassy with the Reveillark you already run.

Adding Resurrection was one of my favorite moves when it came to supporting reanimation decks.

Can't forget Karmic Guide either! bins itself after you get the reanimation effect (unless you pay to keep it), which can help it become a target for other recursion to keep the reanimation chain going. For example, it can be really gassy with the Reveillark you already run.
I totally forgot to put Karmic Guide on the list! I was so busy looking for the list of spells I forgot the good creature! I updated the last post to include it!

I am not a huge fan of either Massacre Wurm or Dragonlord Atarka as reanimation targets because they blank aggro too easily.
Casting an effective turn 3-5 wrath with a huge body attached is just such a beating. Sure there is a set up cost associated, but it swings the game to such a degree that I would avoid them.

Also in a slower format these cards can take over just by being hardcast in more ramping or controlling decks easily.
I do like your other targets though (Chancellor less than the others).

Some other targets I like

Sheoldred is a slow burn. Baring instant speed removal, you get something off the board and slowly take over the game.
The demon can set you up for another go with Dread Return and Unburial Rites as well as fitting into generic controlling GY decks.
Emissary hits hard and fast and even protects itself. 0% elegant which is the biggest downside for me.
Angel conveniently bins itself and plays nicely with Welder/Daretti too. The fact that it self-bins is big. Might be worth considering Waker of Waves for the same reason.

First of all, thanks a lot for your tips they are great! I thik they give me a perfect perspective to start redesigning reanimator in my cube. I'm going to read it all carefully and see what I can do to follow your advice.

With that said, I drafted my cube at my club with six players from a wide range of experience. I had people I had recently cubed with, a relative newbie which plays a lot on Magic Arena, an extournament player and two guys who had last played Magic 15 and 20 years ago. I was a bit afraid of them having a rough time drafting but we actually got into it quick and the banter was great. Laughs, claims of this or that card being extremely strong and people thinking hard about their picks, the whole deal.

Per Rowan's suggestion we drafted 4 packs of 14 cards each, dumping away the last three each time. It felt very natural and there was quite a bit of competition between players. Here's a rough overview of the decks:

Extournament player - Bant Midrange. Somehow two Renegade Raillers made it into the draft and the guy was not letting them go. It was a well-built deck with value creatures, some spells and a brutal Glare of Subdual lock. 3-0

Previous cuber - 4c Control. I didn't see his list though it had a lot of non-basics, very few creatures and several board wipes. He P1P1 Yawghmoth's Will hoping to force storm even though I had told him I didn't support it in my cube. After talking about it, he pivoted into a more traditional control build, at least as far as I know. 2-1

Inexperienced oldie - Izzet Spells. This friend hadn't played in decades and was feeling a bit pessimistic about his chances in the draft. He actually recognized and drafted the key cards of the archetype including both Pyromancers, Baral, Chief of Compliance and aggro creatures. Sadly, he did not get enough spells and he left many good cards on his sideboard (Two eggs, Zealous Conscripts, Avalanche Riders) while running some poor synergy picks (Mind Stone, Bogardan Hellkite, Emry). 0-3

Old regular - Gruul Monsters. This guy used to play Magic with me back when Extended was a thing. Sadly, I wasn't running Sneak Attack for him. He drafted a regular Gruul Monsters deck with Flametongue Kavu, Equipment, Rancor, some dorks, etc. He had a low curve, though, which was an unusual but correct choice. 1-2

Excited newbie - Orzhov Hatebears. I don't know when he started playing on Magic Arena but he has been playing for a while. Still, he's not an expert and mostly plays with low-tier decks in Arena's special queues (It matches you with people of similar deck quality). He drafted a good Orzhiv hatebears deck and I'm proud of how he recognized the archetype and moved into it. 2-1

Me - Dimir Self-Mill. I started drafting lands, Braids and Crucible of Worlds hoping for a Cataclysm deck but I quickly shifted towards UB Zombies. I had most pieces though I did not removal or counterspells. That's...not great, to be honest.But hey, you can punch people hard and then blow up the baord with Living Death. 2-1

I was afraid people would end up with non-fuctional decks but they all took fixing and interaction early like I suggested. And they all had good curves, as well. Sure, they played some synergy cards when they shouldn't have but I think they were good decks for their level of experience. And I lost!

Some random thoughts:

- The lifeloss from canopy lands was very significant and helped me lose while I only drew a card with them once.
- I loved Ritual of the Machine
- All planeswalkers were fun and enjoyable.
- They did not recognize the outliner power cards (Baby Jace, Smuggler Copter, etc.) but they did pick good cards overall. Oblivion Ring is not a first pick, but it's not a bad pick, either.
- They did take fixing aggressively, but not lands that were outside of their colours. UG Lands went to the discard pile, for example.
- I think a normal deck can get 5-6 lands naturally. Anything higher and you need ramp. So my slight increase in cost for fatties would price them out from most decks.
- I would like to introduce slighty more removal, card draw or other basic effects. Try to tighten things a bit.

This was the biggest anti-aggro card in the format.

Anyways, this is it for now. Hope to report more soon!

Ok, some more thoughts regarding the last draft.

First, I couldn't help but think of Funchalot's explanation so as to why he runs an all-duals manabase instead of a mixture between the original and Ravnica ones. He runs them because he doesn't think there's any pick order difference between them, which is true, and that they just randomly punish whoever gets them instead of the real deal. And it's true: The only time I favour one over the other is when both are in the same pack.

I have another reason to replce my Ravnica duals with the original: They make the cube simpler. It makes it easier to recognize each card and each one of them has fewer text. Suggestion:

->

Second, I think I might want some more removal and other basic spells in the cube. I'm not sure why because numbers are high. But I shouldn't have ended up with no removal whatsoever in my last deck. Did I not priotize it enough? I also feel I want more draw/card advantage effects in general. Keep things low curve but at a higher pressure level.

Third, several players left the eggs on their sideboard even if they could have used them. They simply did not recognize their usefulness. Similarly, they often ran synergy cards without enough support, including those very eggs! I think most of this is just inexperience and should correct itself over time. What matters is that they did recognize the archetypes.

Fourth, the sagas are cool but none of them are necessary in my cube. They do not have any real roles.

Fifth, Orzhov Humans is a great, deep archetype. However it's not having the bleed into other colours I would have hoped. There should be UWB and GWB decks just like there are Mardu ones.

Sixth, Experiment One is so bad in my cube even the Gruul drafter noticed without playing it.

Seventh, while UB Self-Mill zombies is great, it's not a very varied archetype. Perhaps I can find ways to make it less on-rails.

So I've been busy writing, reviewing and playing other nonsense games like Vampire The Eternal Struggle so I haven't thought too much about the cube. However, Inscho has which means I need to steal ideas from him again. Let's go back to work.

First, I'm going to replace all the Ravnica duals with the original ones. I'm also going to cut all cards that aren't pulling their weight or simply don't help any particular archetype. Some quick cuts are:

Some changes I want to try:

->
->
->
->
>

I'm also adding for a test:

I also want to cut Whirler Rogue because it's a huge roadblock.

This should be the start before I focus on reanimator and a potential reduction in power level to make room for more plain cards. Nothing serious, just cutting planeswalkers and other top-of-the-line cards.

I like Ephemerate, Staggershock, Dire Fleet here. Those are all easy includes imo...they elegantly up your spell-triggers and have good baselines.

I've considered Stormcaller. I'm interested to hear how it plays out for you. I expect it will be much better for you than it would for me, because the average cmc of your spell suite is lower than mine.

Gnarlwood Dryad is barely adequate in my cube. There are very few green 1 drops outside of elves that are useful for me. Unfortunately, mana elves will warp a lot of what I'm doing elsewhere...so that corner of my cube is a bit of a mess while I wait on some good fortune in upcoming sets.

I'm not sure you will get as much mileage from Exploration and Zuran Orb in your cube. They are important combo pieces in my cube, but they aren't particularly useful without a proper supporting structure. They aren't plug and play cards. You have a few pieces that work well with them, but I think you'll find them to be a little too specialized for your needs.

Last edited:
I hope the first strike on Dire Fleet pushes it over playability.

Stormcaller is a bit of a test. It should indeed work with the cheaper spells and it has a lot of utility (Blink, copying token makers, Unearth, etc.). However, the body is not as good and it's not a real 2-drop. Baral was a great roadblock and curved nicely. So we'll see.

I'm sad to hear Gnarlwood Dryad hasn't worked for you. Truth to be told, I don't think it will work in mine either. I thought it was a 1/2 so it could trade for two 2/2s under the right circumstances but it isn't. Truth to be told, there are very few green one-drops that are useful other than Mana Dorks, Sylvan Safekeeper and, ugh, Hexdrinker. It's one of those "flaws" in Magic's card pool, which is not as large as it appears to be.

Exploration is bad. Zuran Orb might work because it's great with Land Tax.

I'm hoping for some interesting reveals from Modern Horizons 2 to try and round up the cube.

--

I've been checking your cube quite a bit and they are now very similar. I think the big three differences are:

- Few mana dorks on your cube
- Powerful outliners in mine (Baby Jace, Smuggler Copter, Garruk Wildspeaker)
- I strive to support tempo and other high aggressive strategies, with mixed results.

The power level difference is noticiable, but I think that's minor. I've actually been thinking of cutting some of those outliers for simpler more synergestic cards.

Exploration is bad. Zuran Orb might work because it's great with Land Tax.

Just wanted to make a distinction here....Exploration is bad without the right support. It's bad in that it doesn't stand on its own. It's good in the right context, and becomes more useful the more you run cards like:

etc

Ideally, you want more than 2-3 synergy points for cards like Exploration and Zuran Orb or they start to feel poisonous and too corner case.

The power level difference is noticiable, but I think that's minor. I've actually been thinking of cutting some of those outliers for simpler more synergestic cards.

The overall power level of individual cards in your cube is quite a bit higher than mine. My decks have a higher ceiling than the card pool might suggest, but that power relies more on a "the sum is greater than the parts" approach. Turn one ramp and aggro pieces coupled with a near top shelf removal suite and ETB creatures sets the stage for your environment. Dropping your power level might be a domino effect that will require an overhaul. There's definitely a good bit of archetype overlap, but we only have 148 of the same cards between our cubes.

I'd argue that the synergistic cards I run don't simplify things, but probably make things a little more complicated and convoluted. Cards that stand alone as autonomously good and strong, with less hoops to jump through and intersections to consider, are more approachable and make for a much easier draft experience, deck build, and gameplay. That's an asset that shouldn't necessarily be overlooked when considering a big shakeup. Obviously, I'm a fan of lowering individual card power for my environment, but the grass is always greener and whatnot.

Sorry, by Exploration being bad I meant bad in my cube. Hence why I compared it with Zuran Orb, which I think might have some potential in Land Tax decks and what not. I think you are a doing a great job with it!

Regarding power level, it's not that they aren't different. It's that what I strive to do isn't too far off from what you are doing. Changing the power of removal and so on has an impact on how everything plays, but I don't think it's a huge philosophical change. I think you can have broadly similar cubes at different power levels. That is, I don't think your cube is that different from your previous versions even if one had Balance and another one didn't.

After all, if we are being strict, the biggest practical difference is that your cube is much better made than mine. ;)

As a designer, those three things I outlined are more important to met han the power level. Because I can easily change power level, cut back ETBs and other cut all the outliners/autonomously good cards. It takes more effort than skill. Even I know I shouldn't run such high-level white removal! But crafting an environment where tempo plays are good while keeping games relatively long and grindy decks competitive is much harder. What I have is much better than I could reasonably expect so I'm glad on that front!

Not sure if that makes sense, but it does in my head haha.

I'd argue that the synergistic cards I run don't simplify things, but probably make things a little more complicated and convoluted. Cards that stand alone as autonomously good and strong, with less hoops to jump through and intersections to consider, are more approachable and make for a much easier draft experience, deck build, and gameplay. That's an asset that shouldn't necessarily be overlooked when considering a big shakeup. Obviously, I'm a fan of lowering individual card power for my environment, but the grass is always greener and whatnot.
This was not a factor when I started building the cube but now I'm paying attention to it. I want the people at my club to have fun and that's easier with a more straightfoward cube. Because it's not so much that the cube is hard to understand, is that they will run Crpyic Command with too few island or playing a bunch of 5 mana control cards in their aggro decks.

For example, I've noticed them running way too many planeswalkers because the card type just seems good to them, no matter how nice they might be in practice.

I think you can have broadly similar cubes at different power levels. That is, I don't think your cube is that different from your previous versions even if one had Balance and another one didn't.

I agree.

After all, if we are being strict, the biggest practical difference is that your cube is much better made than mine. ;)

I like your cube quite a bit. No need to self-deprecate!

This was not a factor when I started building the cube but now I'm paying attention to it. I want the people at my club to have fun and that's easier with a more straightfoward cube. Because it's not so much that the cube is hard to understand, is that they will run Crpyic Command with too few island or playing a bunch of 5 mana control cards in their aggro decks.

I've mostly accepted by now that my cube isn't the most approachable. It just kind of is what it is. I've played the game for almost 25 years, I want to make plays I haven't made before and be challenged in ways I haven't before...so the cube format that sustains my interest the most is just kind of complicated. The experience level and climate of my playgroup also sounds quite a bit different from yours so that's something to take into consideration. But I'm happy to offer suggestions if you do go down that path

Last edited:
I'm waiting for all the MH2 spoilers to come out so I can keep modifying the cube. I have a few potential ideas and cuts. However, I struggle to power down my removal, any suggestions on how to do that?

For example, the two cards I want to tone down the most are Swords to Plowshares and Path of Exile. But I don't actually know what to replace them with! I thought about Prismatic Exile (from MH2) and perhaps Oust. Thoughts?