Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Sigh said:

Dear lord WotC our orzhov sections were already tough picks

Repeatable +2/+2 at instant speed is pretty strong, and repeatable scry is pretty strong. That offers enough boost that you probably only need to sac one-two times per turn at most (one sac is a 2 mana 4/4 scry 1 gain 1). The sac-trigger ability also doesn't need that card to do the sacrificing, so I think its a pretty good card.

In my case from a WB(R) recursive weenies deck, where it's not as applicable because the creatures come back. Bloodghast is not going to be a permanent sac, same with Bloodsoaked Champion, adorned pouncer, or the token from usher of the fallen etc. etc.

Like if you include Goblin Bombardment, you don't typically ask "are creatures worth less than 1 damage to a target?". It's not usually the dynamic of how that type of card operates. The deck was built with the inclusion of Bombardment in mind, and the format was provided with the proper supporting tools to help with that deckbuilding, and there will be a situation where the answer is 'yes' due to that.

Just like any aristocrat, these cards don't typically get shoved into a format without support.
I'm not really seeing it. Orzhov has a ton of great options for aristocrats these days, such as Cruel Celebrant, Pitiless Pontiff, Hidden Stockpileand Cartel Aristocrat. While this new card is an interesting engine, it's mana intensive, requires a huge board, is narrow to aristocrats, and is easy to deal with. I've been finding that high board synergy decks really prefer sticky finishers when possible, and a card which is a 2/2 base and needs to connect just isn't that. I also think that this card's specification of sacrificing creatures is too narrow. If it cared about creatures you control dying or sacrificing permanents in general, it would actually be pretty servicable. It would either be a good engine for any aggressive deck that take the risk to splash for it, or it could have cool synergies with Fetchlands or Clues/Foods/Treasures. As is, though, this card looks too narrow and too fragile to compare well to it's fellow aristocrats, even in most low power formats. It's just heavily mediocre.

I think the comparison to Goblin bombardment here doesn't quite match. Bombardment is a powerful because it is a damage source that doesn't require interaction through combat. It just hurts the opponent. Even though it becomes insane when it's in an aristocrats deck, you don't need any special support for it to be decent. After all, if you can hit the opponent down to 4 or 5 life, you can sac your board to bombardment to win the game on the spot. Cowheadfriend doesn't allow for this ability because it has to actually connect with the opponent (or be Flinged) in order to close out the game. As a creature, there's a much larger window of interaction for it to be dealt with, and it also pushes players towards being in a dedicated sacrifice strategy.

A closer comparison would be Nantuko Husk.

This reads kind of hostile. I mean I get removal isn't as sexy as some of the other cool cards in the gold section, but calling it boring because it's primary function is simple interaction is a bit much. Removal is what keeps potentially annoying cards in check, after all.

I'm sure you didn't mean anything negative with this comment, but I think you're dismissing a lot of the cool nuances of removal selection in Cube design.
@Velrun is this the 5th angel?
Avacyn, Bruna, Gisela, Sigarada?
Technically she's the last of the original 4 sisters, the new angel Avacyn "destroyed" her after she made some sort of pact with an Archdemon, the details of which are largely unknown.

1630874722921.png
I like this card more than I should. Decent body for rate, cool ability that could provide card advantage, and a bit of a hoser attached. I'd honestly be up to test this if she were a 4 mana 3/4 or 4/4. As is, I'm afraid 5 mana is just a bit too much for a Baneslayer for my Cube because I didn't balance my removal to make 5 mana baneslayers viable.

I'm not really seeing it. Orzhov has a ton of great options for aristocrats these days, such as Cruel Celebrant, Pitiless Pontiff, Hidden Stockpileand Cartel Aristocrat. While this new card is an interesting engine, it's mana intensive, requires a huge board, is narrow to aristocrats, and is easy to deal with. I've been finding that high board synergy decks really prefer sticky finishers when possible, and a card which is a 2/2 base and needs to connect just isn't that. I also think that this card's specification of sacrificing creatures is too narrow. If it cared about creatures you control dying or sacrificing permanents in general, it would actually be pretty servicable. It would either be a good engine for any aggressive deck that take the risk to splash for it, or it could have cool synergies with Fetchlands or Clues/Foods/Treasures. As is, though, this card looks too narrow and too fragile to compare well to it's fellow aristocrats, even in most low power formats. It's just heavily mediocre.

I think the comparison to Goblin bombardment here doesn't quite match. Bombardment is a powerful because it is a damage source that doesn't require interaction through combat. It just hurts the opponent. Even though it becomes insane when it's in an aristocrats deck, you don't need any special support for it to be decent. After all, if you can hit the opponent down to 4 or 5 life, you can sac your board to bombardment to win the game on the spot. Cowheadfriend doesn't allow for this ability because it has to actually connect with the opponent (or be Flinged) in order to close out the game. As a creature, there's a much larger window of interaction for it to be dealt with, and it also pushes players towards being in a dedicated sacrifice strategy.

This reads kind of hostile. I mean I get removal isn't as sexy as some of the other cool cards in the gold section, but calling it boring because it's primary function is simple interaction is a bit much. Removal is what keeps potentially annoying cards in check, after all.

I'm sure you didn't mean anything negative with this comment, but I think you're dismissing a lot of the cool nuances of removal selection in Cube design.

Technically she's the last of the original 4 sisters, the new angel Avacyn "destroyed" her after she made some sort of pact with an Archdemon, the details of which are largely unknown.

I like this card more than I should. Decent body for rate, cool ability that could provide card advantage, and a bit of a hoser attached. I'd honestly be up to test this if she were a 4 mana 3/4 or 4/4. As is, I'm afraid 5 mana is just a bit too much for a Baneslayer for my Cube because I didn't balance my removal to make 5 mana baneslayers viable.
yeah the effect is super cool! it is exactly the kind of card i like having around in commander and brawl because it’s just fun to go nuts with these kinds of loop effects. it’s like a team wide version of the Halvar Sword.

I never intended the comparison to be exact. We could compare it to thallid omnivore to almost exactly match the exact ability, but I was only using Bombardment to show that cards aren't thrown into formats willy nilly. They are added along with support that meets their needs.

IMO CowFriend offers far superior actual game-closing potential compared to Pontiff or Aristocrat (which are always 2/2 base, not a particularly exceptional body), because like Bombardment, you can put an opponent in the impossible situation of blocking CF to avoid dying or blocking the fodder that is also lethal. Same general way that the Husk and Bombardment can become an impossible puzzle. I really don't agree that "CF doesn't allow for this ability" because combat is generally the most common way to win a game of MTG, and this can make that combat math excruciating and/or impossible for the opponent.

In general I think people are underestimating the passive trigger in combination with the hard-to-block stat potential but do agree that it's not a standout by any means. I think simply a good option.

Last edited:
mannnn if it let you scry every time you sac a fetch or clue that would be DOPE
i think if you’re on Stockpile already yeah it’s gonna support that deck quite well. a nice upgrade to cartel aristocrat if you’re on that

As people have noted in spoiler website comments sections, this is an ETB ability, so if you can get the body for free/for a discount, you still get to do the multikicker (discounted via unearth for example). Card's definitely pushed.

It can also be played early for a body and blinked later for an upgrade. It got some play for sure, but power level can be a concern for some cubes. With small reanimate, blink, counters and/or go wide in some combination it might be interesting as an overlap card that is still powerful on it's own. In some environment it will of course be too powerful on it's own to really play in to those strategies.

Edit: I've been following the forums on and off without getting an account and commenting for a rather long time. This is my first comment ever on here, so if I'm breaching any social contract or any rules, please correct me.

Last edited:
It can also be played early for a body and blinked later for an upgrade. It got some play for sure, but power level can be a concern for some cubes. With small reanimate, blink, counters and/or go wide in some combination it might be interesting as an overlap card that is still powerful on it's own. In some environment it will of course be too powerful on it's own to really play in to those strategies.

Edit: I've been following the forums on and off without getting an account and commenting for a rather long time. This is my first comment ever on here, so if I'm breaching any social contract or any rules, please correct me.
Welcome! You are definitely not breaching anything. And yes, good point! This card is insanely flexible in play. And of course lifelink on top of it all.

i love this and the augur. finally a 3/1 for 2 beater that isn’t a dead draw late!
this is me too

it does very much feel like "pushed mythic the card" but at the same time, thinking of it as a modular 3/1 lifelink at 2 CMC or 4/2 lifelink and anthem at 4CMC isn't as busted as it reads...but still undeniably good

it's a neat design, with terrible, terrible dark and muddy art that feels like they had a slot in white at mythic open and had to scrounge together something real quick using existing assets

It looks like it might be a cycle

View attachment 5099

Forgive me if this is already known information.
This card is excellent. I'm all for more defensive 2/3 creatures and I've long believed that Deathtouch is an underrated keyword in cube. Defensive body for decks against Aggro, fits right into the two drop slot in Gravecrawler Aggro decks that was empty until this set (man this and Jadar is making for some tough cuts), and it even scales into the later game ala Skyclave Shade with a kicker variant. Checks a lot of boxes for me, can't wait to give this a run!

Been loosely following spoilers since last week when I was off backpacking and in a cabin with limited access (I will have cube reports soon!), but just got caught up with spoilers as a whole. We've had a little under half the set spoiled so far but I've already got a ton of my flex slots accounted for and ready for new card swaps. This set's a cube goldmine for me.

Once the 2nd set is released later this year, I think I'm going to dive into a full on Innistrad themed cube build as a secondary cube. There are just so many cool and flavorful cards that I can't play currently at my power level but definitely want to visit in a cube context. Should be fun!

I agree in general for Constructed and most Limited formats since you can always trade up against a 3/2, but for cube specifically and the role I see for this card I'd much rather have a 2/3 than a 3/2.

I'd say as long as there aren't too many cheap 2/3s in the format to where you're consistently clogging the board ala Bant Coco Standard, you're mostly going to be fine. I think I would have been more against this in the past, but I've come around to thinking that having these type of statlines on creatures that can shift gameplay when deployed early adds more to the overall cube experience. Generating these "spikes" with cards that can swing gameplay is good in moderation from time to time. I guess it really depends on how detrimental a card like this is to your Aggro strategy, but for me personally there's an excess of efficient removal nowadays that I don't mind pushing players towards these kind of decision points like when should I trade or use up some removal to clear the way.

If it was happening every draft I'd probably be more averse to it, but I'm at 420 and usually get 6 drafters so we don't have the same card pool every draft. Because of that I'm more open to these kind of cards that can spike gameplay every now and then.

I wouldn't call the black Adversary 'defensive' necessarily. Even one "multikick" is +5 power to the board (4 that can't even block), and deathtouch is a powerful offensive ability, making blocking a guaranteed trade except in corner cases.