Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

For the last two years or so, certainly since the pandemic, Standard playability has been pretty secondary in terms of determining price to EDH, and often times, casual constructed appeal is also more important, so I don't anticipate the Adversaries to be that pricey outside of the first two weeks of release unless a format like Modern starts taking to them or they do have some slick Commander tech I haven't figured out yet.
They seem alright in EDH as mana dumps, but there's better things to be doing at lower rarities. I think the base bodies are too weak for Modern and 4-5 mana there needs to be a bit broken.
Spectral Adversary
The lack of reminder text for phasing, even on the standard version of the card, is killing me.
I'm hoping we see more phasing this set. They've been using it more frequently and we definitely need some reminder text cards. There's currently only 8 cards with Phasing reminder text...

i agree, phasing is one of those mechanics i just don’t care to have to think about on cube night.

Is one time phasing hard to think about? Honest question, since I remember easily reasoning about it in AFR, but maybe I'm missing subtleties that prevent it from being just "treat it and anything attached to it as though they don’t exist" as the reminder text says.

oldstickfingers.jpg

Old Stickfingers {X}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Horror
When you cast this card, reveal the top card of your library until you reveal X creature cards. Put all the creature cards revealed this way into your graveyard, and put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Old Stickfingers power and toughness are equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*

Mill enabler and payoff all in one. I've always liked cards that can be cast for any amount of mana, like Endless One because they stay relevant. If you don't run Grave-Wraths, this will look sweet at most points of the game but probably not be overpowering unless your graveyard interactions for creatures are really crazy.

Someone else can cover the GU card. That's none of my business.
necrosynthesis.jpg
ghoulgrizzly.jpg

Trample. ETB +1/+1 counter on it for each creature that died this turn.

Counters support. I'm interested...

What do we think of Necrosynthesis? Replaces the card in a unique way. +1/+1 synergy. Morbid payoff. Seems a hair too slow, though?

Wasn't there an article that eloquently explained how 3/2 states are way healthier for a format than 2/3 stats?
Nope but close. It said 3/2’s for 3 mana are healthy.

One of the reasons was the fact that they trade with 2/3’s. One of the major points (in my opinion) was that you should never have a 2/3 format. Most creatures should not be 2/3.

Last edited:
Is one time phasing hard to think about? Honest question, since I remember easily reasoning about it in AFR, but maybe I'm missing subtleties that prevent it from being just "treat it and anything attached to it as though they don’t exist" as the reminder text says.
Kinda like protection, its the fine print. The "and anything attached to it", and the timing of when stuff phases back. Stuff like that

I love phasing. I like the fact it's becoming almost an evergreen keyword

Nice little white "card advantage" piece, especially if you have GW landfall. For those with sharpies, this is a good candidate for removal of "basic".
1631023771473.png1631023783996.png
Ambicious Farmhand

1W

Creature - Human Peasant

When Ambicious Farmhand enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Plains and put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Coven 1WW: Transform Ambicious Farmhand. Activate only if you control three or more creatures with different powers.

1/1

Consummated Cathar

Creature - Human Knight

Lifelink

3/3

We do have more phasing in the set... though on another mythic
1631026194950.png1631026202633.png
This is a pretty slow self-contained engine, but having a sacrifice effect tucked onto a land can be really nice, and the backside ends up being quite a beating (and can protect itself)

I love phasing. I like the fact it's becoming almost an evergreen keyword
Me too, I just need them to print the reminder text more often :wagg:

Has no one posted the Brimaz-killer yet?

76sShCt.png

Adeline, Brilliant Cathar - 1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (Rare)
Vigilance
~ power is equal to the number of creatures you control.
Whenever you attack, for each opponent, create a 1/1 white Human creature tapped and attacking that player or planeswalker they control.
*/4

White's second Rabblemaster at three, but this one uses the awesome tech from Combat Calligrapher (who I sadly recently removed from my cube because they love to muck up the rules text with multiplayer-specific language that only technically works in two-player Magic). Swing with a two-drop on turn 3, get a free 1/1 swinging at their Oko. White's 3-drops may be among the most competitive in Cube and I prefer to avoid these double-pips, but I can't really deny the power and synergy potential here.

We do have more phasing in the set... though on another mythic
View attachment 5113View attachment 5114
This is a pretty slow self-contained engine, but having a sacrifice effect tucked onto a land can be really nice, and the backside ends up being quite a beating (and can protect itself)

As an aside, can I say I love the word play on this? I've rolled my eyes elsewhere with the self-referential stuff but this is My Kind of Dumb. I don't think I'd play it, with about three easier-to-use colorless man-lands edging it out in my mind, but its got the best creature attached of the bunch by far and it's good clean fun.

Harrow but sorcery speed and two colors and the lands come in tapped ;)

There is a nonzero mental barrier to realizing that targeting yourself is often the right play.

Still nice.

Could see myself taking out radha, heart of keld for this, as it offers really nice flexibility as well as landfall triggers, landdeath? triggers, can be used from the graveyard, etc. Also like the potential to be able to say "I path to naturalize your [insert]"

Last edited:
So the Adversary cycle continues to deliver.

View attachment 5116
Was a fan of Goblin Dark Dwellers when I ran it for a brief stint, but it was definitely a little clunky and didn't really have a great home to slot into for my environment. This one having the modal flipside of being a base 2/2 with haste is pretty handy. I like the flexibility of early board development to apply pressure or the ability for this to be a topdeck into burn/removal to clear the way.

With the influx of Vampires with this set and presumably the next Innistrad set, I'm pleased to be able to further differentiate the different flavors of Aggro in my environment. RW and RB were kind of in the same boat, but with the printings of Falkenrath Pit Fighter and this card alongside stuff like Knight of the Ebon Legion, RB is starting to flesh itself out with a small Vampires subtheme.

Was a fan of Goblin Dark Dwellers when I ran it for a brief stint, but it was definitely a little clunky and didn't really have a great home to slot into for my environment. This one having the modal flipside of being a base 2/2 with haste is pretty handy. I like the flexibility of early board development to apply pressure or the ability for this to be a topdeck into burn/removal to clear the way.

With the influx of Vampires with this set and presumably the next Innistrad set, I'm pleased to be able to further differentiate the different flavors of Aggro in my environment. RW and RB were kind of in the same boat, but with the printings of Falkenrath Pit Fighter and this card alongside stuff like Knight of the Ebon Legion, RB is starting to flesh itself out with a small Vampires subtheme.
There is also the made-for-vampire-aggro option of
1631029525439.png
It's a vampire-theme hellspark elemental that triggers magecraft and provides some life buffer to boot!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know, honestly I was running Dark Dwellers for the longest time, mostly cutting it because all my spells matter decks were so zeroxy that they were playing ~14 lands, so 5 drops were unrealistic.
Maybe they still are, but the flexibility of a 2/2 haste is probably better, even if the 5 mana mode is smaller

Harrow but sorcery speed and two colors and the lands come in tapped ;)

There is a nonzero mental barrier to realizing that targeting yourself is often the right play.

Still nice.

Could see myself taking out radha, heart of keld for this, as it offers really nice flexibility as well as landfall triggers, landdeath? triggers, can be used from the graveyard, etc. Also like the potential to be able to say "I path to naturalize your [insert]"
Granted, but this is so insanely flexible, and just...a ramp spell with flashback. We've had like, one of those?

I still run Dark-Dwellers, and I feel like this is a good opportunity to remember "if it's still working, it doesn't need replacing", so I'm passing on the Adversary for now.

Granted, but this is so insanely flexible, and just...a ramp spell with flashback. We've had like, one of those?
Oh for sure, card is very nice. And you can use it on an opponent's land on the off-chance they have something icky. Will likely be a much more-used mode in EDH.

I've always been disappointed with Dark Dwellers but when it fits nicely into different slots on the curve I'm going to give it a test. I'm a huge fan of modal cards in Cube.

Knight of the Ebon Legion's a Vampire!? Okay, have to agree after Crimson Vow I may need to reconsider what BR looks like. May need to reconsider Falkenrath Gorger I've been considering adding more discard shenanigans, may Madness Aggro with a Vampire Subtheme can get there.

FZqAtKA.png

Dryad's Revival - 2G
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Flashback 4G
"Nice to meet you, Seven."

I've really enjoyed Bala Ged Recovery over Regrowth but I may like this even more? The kinds of decks who want this effect most end up accidentally milling quite a lot of their good cards, and I feel like the ability to use it twice is even more valuable than the (admittedly more common) potential for this to be a CITP land. I'm obsessed, though -- even if it's not the strongest, it's my favorite Regrowth effect so far.

The kinds of decks who want this effect most end up accidentally milling quite a lot of their good cards
One common gap in self-mill decks is milling the recursion (outside of unburial rites etc. obviously). This handily seals that in such an elegant and awesome way.

This along with the new turn the earth have really helped tighten up leaks in the Sultai self-mill style deck in one fell swoop. I'm loving this set so far.

Last edited: