Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

What do you guys think of this babsy?

Dragonlord-Silumgar-Dragons-of-Tarkir-Spoiler.png

Seems like ya gotta try it!

Yep I played with it last weekend. Stealing a PW is pretty unique so that's great, and the powerlevel is about where I want my 6 drops to be.

Is this guy a thing? I know he has all kinds of synergies going on, and is great Wrath protection, but his front side is so uninspiring he keeps on tabling around here.

Yep he is very much a thing. You don't need any synergies for it to be good. You know it triggers itself when it dies right? So the worst case scenario is 3/2 Vig make a 1/1 when he dies. Realistically he makes 3-4 guys when he dies which by another name is Lingering Souls which we all know is a fucked up magic card. Occasionally he can make 8-10 guys which is basically game. You can jam him in any white deck and he's fine. Typically you are going to want to be more attacking/creature oriented though obv.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention Heelcutter rocks. I added it as just kinda a joke since I heard it was nuts in limited and turns out he's great in cube as well. Its like a threaten effect that you get to cast every turn.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Vault Breaker is playable, but I don't actually want to take out a card to play him, if you catch my meaning.

I'm feeling Doubling Season is in the same boat as Sanguine Bond, but maybe random planeswalker ults are good enough? It crosses with +1/+1 and tokens too. I definitely think Parallel lives is too narrow.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I tried Doubling Season in a relatively low-powered cube, with a big +1/+1 counter theme. It sucked balls! The main problem is that you simply don't want to tap out for a five mana spell when that spell does absolutely nothing to advance your board position or hand size. In other words, it's a terrible do-nothing. I eventually replaced the card and never missed it. Maybe, just maybe, it's somewhat playable when you run a high density of planeswalkers, but I doubt it, and I doubt that application even is fun to play against.

However, if you want to run a +1/+1 counter theme, I can heartily recommend

Now there's a card that overperformed for me. Nothing special, but always relevant, and some really nice synergies.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How all-in is that card though? Would I want it in my GR monster deck? a GW little kid deck?

It's a 4/4 for 4, which is always relevant as an on-curve beatstick. With only a handful of other +1/+1 counter cards (especially those with a lower mana cost) it adds over the curve power to the board in the form of a permanent boost to creatures that can, presumably, attack right away. On top of that he has graft, which means that, even if his body is not relevant, he will make your future drops more relevant. And then there's the final ability, which allows you to leech counters off of other creatures to grow the Root-Kin enough to smash through your opponent's defenses, and to reset evolve triggers. It's also a good blink target, because you can first graft his counters onto other creatures, than blink it to restore its size and add another counter to all the graft targets. In short, he plays much better than you would expect. He's certainly not on the same power level as Polukranos, but I might like him more for not being in your face powerful, yet still be consistently good.

I don't really remember that card seeing any play in constructed and that was back when it was legal and it had the help of damage on the stack back then (I'm sure we will all remember those sort of benefits from the example arcbound ravager set). Like it wasn't like green wasn't a thing either.

Wait I think it made it into a deck in the equalized 3v3 block format!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I tried Doubling Season in a relatively low-powered cube, with a big +1/+1 counter theme. It sucked balls! The main problem is that you simply don't want to tap out for a five mana spell when that spell does absolutely nothing to advance your board position or hand size. In other words, it's a terrible do-nothing. I eventually replaced the card and never missed it. Maybe, just maybe, it's somewhat playable when you run a high density of planeswalkers, but I doubt it, and I doubt that application even is fun to play against.

However, if you want to run a +1/+1 counter theme, I can heartily recommend

Now there's a card that overperformed for me. Nothing special, but always relevant, and some really nice synergies.

How often do you use his other ability?
I've got a graft 3 + proliferate guy at the same cost and he's been sweet

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How often do you use his other ability?
I've got a graft 3 + proliferate guy at the same cost and he's been sweet

I like your custom. I don't use the ability often, but it has allowed me to break stalemates in the past. You can turn Root-Kin in a one-sided The Abyss if it becomes big enough, which feels very satisfying (until they Go for the Throat it, but eh, such is the fate of most green beatsticks ;)).

Man with the new sets this card seems almost good now! If only there were a deeper set of ways to abuse it to bin a target and use a creature you've found to rebuy it/ a spell to make this truly complicated and fun.

It's sorta disapointing that the value combo decks have so much trouble keeping up with aggro / being relevant enough to fight midranged and control in most cubes and it's also a little annoying how much damage you take when you are trying to play these (unless you are playing blink or 241-value-midranged) because you're probably in 3-4 colours. I guess a lot of recent spell trigger decks aren't really so much tempo as value strategies, so maybe that works.

I mean GB impulse seems good on paper, but I don't like looking at cards in abstract I prefer to ground them in attainable picks and lines of play and boardstate planning.

Fucking sucks it's 2 colour though eh?

Hm, yeah. This is a relatively new effect, right? But it feels inextricably green, in a way that probably you can run it as a 1G card even with both creature and land-grabbing? Maybe it has to be a sorcery then, but instants are super fun. (If you want to start tinkering with semi-custom cards)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is mono-black an option in your cube? Do you run a devotion theme? Do you run great, great fixing?

Edit: How good would that card have been at {W/B}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}? Because I think that ability is still pretty flavorful in mono-white!

On Onderzeeboot's theme, he (she/xe) would also have been really cool as a "two-brid" (i.e. Spectral Procession). Obliterator seems perfectly reasonable at {4}{B}{B}, and rewards you for going heavy black by coming out two turns earlier.

Or even turn two ;) I think that idea sounds really sweet. Are there other crazy 3+ colored symbol costs that could be colourless hybrids as well?

edit: Messenger! Which I might cut unless, of course, hybrid makes up for the triple B
Geralf's Messenger Hybrid.pngPhyrexian Obliterator Hybrid.png