Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Could this be any good? Unexpectedly Absent has performed quite poorly the entirety of it's cube existence and I'm looking to cut it. Wisps seems like it could be a good replacement for a similar kind of effect. Also,

Could this be playable? Seems like it could be a great way to immediately protect your creatures from burn and set up favorable blocks while tapped out.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Same here. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, Unexpectedly Absent has been aggressively mediocre around these parts. For a card that's a smidge harder to cast than Azorius Charm, but makes up for that by fitting into more decks and being pretty flexible, you'd think this would be a versatile all-round removal spell. Except... it hasn't panned out that way. It's mostly slow, awkward, doesn't do squat against planeswalkers, and lets your opponent re-trigger their value ETB guys.

I really like the idea of trying Niveous Wisps in its place. It should fill the role of a Feeling of Dread-like tapdown spell. Best of all, seems like it could be used by both tempo decks to get past pesky blockers, or control decks looking to gain a few life and stall. Great suggestion for a swap!

Hmm that's an interesting card. Though I'm not sure if I like it as much as Second Sunrise. They both protect against wraths, but sunrise requires the creatures to die somehow if you're just going for ETB triggers, so you'd want a sac outlet. Second Sunrise also protects your artifacts and enchantments from spot removal and can be a weird combat trick sometimes.

Edit: Sunrise + fetches and wasteland is kinda funny

Edit edit: I'm putting Second Sunrise into my cube

Anyways, has anyone tried or ? I am looking for a large playable black creature.
I know some of you hate army-in-a-can, but this thing is serious business:

On the topic of 7-drops, which of the following is the most interesting in their respective colors:

CML

Contributor
all of those cards are devoid of interest to me. here are some 7's i enjoy

as you can see, when they enter the battlefield, they enter the battlefield

Chris Taylor

Contributor

So what you're saying is when hornet queen sits around the house, she really sits around the house?

If you're going to run a 7-drop in red, it should be

Does that thing actually work? Because it's totally something I'd consider if you said yes. I've never played it but it comes up on my gatherer searches sometimes and I've been tempted to try it. Anything to do with dragons is a pretty easy sell for me.

I find it's either Moat level boring or kills you. Strong card, swingy, but a bit all or nothing for my tastes

That's not really fair. It's a 7 drop. It should stabilize you and generally win you the game. I mean, it's not like it's worse than Hornet Queen. I ran it for a while and was happy every time it was in play, but I eventually cut it because I found that my red decks just almost never got up to seven mana. This thread is making me consider bringing it back in, though.

I used to run Sheoldred but found it to be oppressive. Maybe I should give it another shot?

Hornet Queen is on the bench for a while.

Currently running Angel of Serenity, Avenger of Zendikar, and Myr Battlesphere.

I was hoping to allow each color to have exactly one 7-drop creature. I'm not usually crazy about "filling slots," but I'd like to try it out. Does anyone have any other suggestions for red and blue?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i'm currently trying out Sphinx of Uthuun myself, the jury is still out

Sheoldred, Whispering One was actually kind of on the low end, as far as sevens go. Avenger of Zendikar was usually much stronger, and while not exactly oppressive, it won almost every game in which it hit the field, so i eventually benched it

none of the red sevens are impressive, i think you should add another red six instead if you just want more finishers

i'm currently trying out Sphinx of Uthuun myself, the jury is still out

Sheoldred, Whispering One was actually kind of on the low end, as far as sevens go. Avenger of Zendikar was usually much stronger, and while not exactly oppressive, it won almost every game in which it hit the field, so i eventually benched it

none of the red sevens are impressive, i think you should add another red six instead if you just want more finishers
It's been a long time since I used Sheoldred, so I'll give that another shot. As far as red 7's go, the one that stood out to me the most was Balefire Dragon. It probably ends the game if it connects once. I'm currently running Bogardan Hellkite at the top of my red drops.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The problem with Balefire Dragon - and most cards of this ilk - is that it requires you to connect with it before it does anything. Whereas most decks that are trying to power out a seven drop need it to immediately stabilize the board on the same turn, as they've spent considerable resources simply surviving to that point in the game. I actually like Bogardan Hellkite more for this very reason, but its power level is not anything remarkable, and man... eight mana.

I see you already run Soul of Shandalar and Crater Hellion. How about just another six drop, say, Inferno Titan?

Battle Rage has definitely been the best trick for punishing leaving back a tiny chumper- I've had O-naginata for ages and while it's telegraphed it still prevents the same plays- it just doesn't make them lose the way battle rage so often does. Battle rage doubles as a swift justice / aerial maneuver / skillful lunge etc. etc.

Torrent elemental was slow and its recursion ability didn't exist most of the time, punishing o-rings / fiend hunters just as or more often than rewarding delve play. If you want turn 6 falter in blue go for it.

The problem with Balefire Dragon - and most cards of this ilk - is that it requires you to connect with it before it does anything. Whereas most decks that are trying to power out a seven drop need it to immediately stabilize the board on the same turn, as they've spent considerable resources simply surviving to that point in the game. I actually like Bogardan Hellkite more for this very reason, but its power level is not anything remarkable, and man... eight mana.

I see you already run Soul of Shandalar and Crater Hellion. How about just another six drop, say, Inferno Titan?
I see your point. Bogardan Hellkite was mostly going unplayed except for reanimator-type strategies, so whatever I add will be taking his job.

I just cut Inferno Titan in an effort to decrease the cube's power level, so I'm going to try something else first. I was fascinated by Warmonger Hellkite when it was spoiled. No ETB, but it can create bad attacks and is capable of killing your opponent outright the following turn with your team.

The only others that seem reasonable to me are Hellkite Charger, Predator Dragon, or Rorix Bladewing.

Phyrexian Reclamation is great. I love that card.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I like all of the blue 7s, the red 7s suck (though Chancellor is interesting, not sure where you want it)

I like Angel of Serenity and Eternal Dragon in white, Elesh Norn might be too OP but it's easily the most powerful

Sheoldred is great

Avenger of Zendikar is perfect, it's a very fast clock that gives you breathing room against aggro but can still be overcome (evasion, sweepers) and it has an inbuilt cap on how obnoxious it can be if cheated out early

Strongly approve of Reclamation and Temur Battle Rage, not convinced by Torrent Elemental but give it a try.