General The Constructed thread

CML

Contributor
I fucking love Thirst for Knowledge!

Are those really bad MU's? Like I know with UW you need resources (vs Lili) and are reliant on the graveyard (vs. DRS / Scooze) but it seems like the classic case of those cards being good against UW but the deck itself being quite bad. Same reason Living End was good before Ooze (or Dredge was good in Legacy because of the rise of DRS, there's a nice BBD article on this if you wanna, you know, dredge it up)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Well, when everything goes well you're favoured, but if you stumble at all or they have enough disruption it's very easy for them to shut you out. It always feels terrible to Path a DRS/Bob, but if you don't it can quickly take the game over. Liliana just wrecks you, even if you have Gifts (though that changes if you have a Terastodon). Meanwhile Abrupt Decay randomly hits your Signets... an overlooked thing is that you can't really make your deck better against them post-SB. Celestial Purge is an upgrade to Path, but it's still just a 1-for-1; Wurmcoil is obviously fantastic, but it doesn't help you in the games where they're attacking your manabase/hand; everything else is still vulnerable to discard. At least nobody's casting BBE into Boom/Bust any more...

CML

Contributor
Top deck in first post is Young UR. Yep that card is good. The RUG deck a few lists below is Eternal Command, played about a year ago (it's OK)

I think Jund Zombies is a known quantity (though one more often seens W for Souls / Sculler)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I see these 5-color zoo decks playing a couple Noble Hierarchs, but I only have one so I tried out Birds of Paradise instead. BoP is so much worse than Hierarch. The only real advantage is that BoP can get in for 5 evasive damage off of a Might of Alara.

CML

Contributor
Yeah? Interesting, when I played regular (not Matt Nass landfall, which probably doesn't work with M14 rules nerfing Flagstones) Boros last PTQ season (when I bought sets of Tarn, Flats, Mesa and felt I was being ripped off at 16, 10, 10 apiece) Geopede was just a turd out there. I even played 1x Boros Garrison to try and set him up, but it turned out setting him up was not what a "4/5 for W + lots of burn" deck wanted to do. And this was with a lot of lands. Lynx of course was the stone nuts. You're playing even fewer lands than that deck so I dunno.

The UR list is sweet, for a Premier people are gonna be playing decks that suck against said list so I think it's a good choice and probably viable in open metas too

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, on further inspection the Geopede was terrible. But I'm really scratching my head for 2's. This deck really needs Goyfs to apply pressure, and I don't have a suitable replacement at the moment.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
If you like landfall guys and Geists, why not something like:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Steppe Lynx
4 Plated Geopede
3-4 Zektar Shrine Expedition
3-4 Geist of Saint Traft

4 Lightning Bolt
2-3 Shard Volley
2-3 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
4 Boros Charm

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I've seen that Matt Nass video. I wonder if Flagstones of Trokair is better with the M14 legend rules.

Unfortunately I don't really have the fetchlands to make a Boros Landfall deck work. But maybe I could just do it with a 5 color mana base? I have 4x Arid Mesa, and 2x of all the others. Verdant Catacombs, for example, it pretty bad when you're playing UWR.

In the current zoo deck the biggest mana trouble is with this trifecta:

Sometimes you have to pick lands that can only support two of the three. e.g Hallowed Fountain + Stomping Ground can cast Helix and Pridemage, but might not get you Geist mana. That would all be solved if the Pridemages were Goyfs instead. Then you just go for:

and can cast everything in your deck.

CML

Contributor
Haha, yep, it's not the easiest to figure out what to fetch with 4c/5c manabases.

I do not own many Constructed cards, so I borrow a lot in Legacy and Standard. If I can sponge in America ...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, unfortunately there aren't many spare Goyfs floating around. I'm friends with a guy with a playset, but he moved out of town and I haven't seen him much later. "Hey buddy, long time no see, how those goyfs doing?"

CML

Contributor
I think we should popularize the idea of a friend you don't really like but find useful every once in awhile for a late-night "Goyf call"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
PTWm9dt.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm sorry, your plaintext decklist was so ugly to look at, I went in and edited it to use the deck tags.