General The Constructed thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sexy BUG list but with all of my favorite cards (relatively weird Snapcaster targets though):
RIdRaag.png

UR Delvermancer:
fbLYNur.png

More aggressive UR Delvermancer:
GraXDXb.png

UWR Isochron:
oa6aFlM.png

CML

Contributor
If you like Modern -- and I like Modern -- you owe it to yourself to read the Glenn Jones article at http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26710_The-ArtiFacts-Of-Life.html

Those UR lists look SWEET and I'd play the hell out of them if only, uh, Serum Visions sucks. It's just really bad at basically everything that it does, and we should feel bad for being forced to play with it. Oddly enough, the card I'd most like to try in that slot is See Beyond, which can shuffle back useless bullets while helping you to continue making land drops.

(False alternate view from Zac Hill, on Grixis Delver: The only card that isn't obviously absurd is Serum Visions, but I'll go ahead and remind you that if you simply reverse the order of the abilities on the card, it's good enough to get banned. Over the last three or so years, it has become more and more increasingly evident that Ponder / Preordain / Serum Visions / Sleight of Hand and their ilk are all just really, really powerful and only get better the more we play with them.)

I strongly dislike the BUG list, there's no way it's better than Junk or Jund or Ajani Jund Dune-Brood Midrange or even that sweet BG list with all the colorless lands

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, the only real advantages to the BUG list are the Creeping Tar Pits. It's a little weird to play blue and utilize the color so little in my opinion.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
meh, Blood Moon is a minor annoyance for U/X Tron in my experience.

btw, if you want something that's surely terrible but awesomely fun:

4 Explore
4 Farseek
4 Heartbeat of Spring
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Cryptic Command
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Remand
2 Path to Exile
3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Time Warp
1 Primal Command
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
25 land (inc 4 Colonnade)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
or:

4 Through the Breach
4 Possibility Storm
4 Emrakul
1 Memnite

4 Serum Visions
4 Remand
2 Condescend
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Gigadrowse
1 Into the Roil
1 Repeal
2 Electrolyze
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Pact of Negation

4 Tolaria West
4 Zoetic Cavern
3 Dreadship Reef
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Watery Grave
3 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
3 Cascade Bluffs
1 Island
1 Mountain

SB:
4 Blood Moon
1 Jace Beleren
1 Nicol Bolas Planeswalker
other cards

If you like Modern -- and I like Modern -- you owe it to yourself to read the Glenn Jones article at http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26710_The-ArtiFacts-Of-Life.html

I worked on Tezzeret for a while, it was fun and pretty good against UWR. I like his list, it's like 85-90% the same as the one I arrived at, except I don't like See Beyond. One subtle part of Oberg's original deck was that the deck played no cards with cmc=2 , therefore letting you drop chalice for 2 with impunity. Spellskite is good enough to play anyway, but I think too many 2 cost cards weakens the chalice plan, which is one of the more powerful things the deck can do.

CML

Contributor
Chalice X=2 seems really slow without Chrome Mox (or Sol lands, Grim Monolith, all the toys of Legacy)

The BUG list perfectly illustrates the stupidity of fair U in the current Modern meta because there aren't enough combo decks to justify counterspells, which would be basically the only reason to run U in the first place, and it doesn't even use U that much, and Clique is more or less a counterspell with how it functions in the format. Adding a third color + not running Lightning Bolt or Path to Exile is objectionable

Yeah, that's why I moved away from Tezzeret. The plays were powerful, but a bit slow. I think another artifact combo like Sword of the Meek + Thopter Foundry or better acceleration. I tried Mox Opal, but it wasn't reliable enough.

I also thought about trying a deck with Chalice of the Void and Tron. I tried putting together a few lists, but never really tried it.

CML

Contributor
You guys ever get it to work in Cube? I tried it once and nobody wanted it, though it's certainly a powerful card (a friend plays it in Legacy) I'm thinking it might be flawed for Cube in the same way as a card like Mystical Teachings

You guys ever get it to work in Cube? I tried it once and nobody wanted it, though it's certainly a powerful card (a friend plays it in Legacy) I'm thinking it might be flawed for Cube in the same way as a card like Mystical Teachings

"tried it once" is key here. I feel like it's a card that either gets taken early, and gets a deck crafted around itself (a moment for it to shine) , or gets passed and ends up being someone's pick 13-15 meaning it will not make the starting 40.

CML

Contributor
you're certainly right. i wish all of us were lucky enough to have modo cube amounts of data without, you know, the responsibility of having modo cube amounts of data

CML

Contributor
I like it better as a sideboard plan, GBx midrange should take out its Abrupt Decays against you g2 and then ...

Yeah, I think Scepter would be a pretty good sideboard card against GBx and the mirror.

Where I play, the meta is largely UWR and combo (storm, twin, reanimator) with a smattering of burn, aggro, and soul sisters. I am looking to try and new deck and I think it's either going to be UWR control (can't beat 'em, join 'em) or some U-based tron variant. I have most of the cards for those decks.

CML

Contributor
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Worldspine Worm
3 Griselbrand
3 Inferno Titan
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Sneak Attack
4 Through the Breach
2 Pyromancy
4 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Blood Moon