The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Some of these custom cards are really sweet. I love 'em!

nNkNkAC.png
5ZO4swg.png
UOQrKp1.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Was kessig cagebreakers bad? I'm mildly interested. Keep us posted on wind zendikon. 2 mana hasty flier

Cagebreakers was...alright. He feels really poor that you need 2 creatures to die before it's even a more expensive Hero of Bladehold, and basically nobody wanted to take the plunge. I cut it along with all the other self mill cards.

Some of these custom cards are really sweet. I love 'em!

nNkNkAC.png
5ZO4swg.png
UOQrKp1.png

Glad to hear it! Seriously though, Primordial Stag needs to be printed already. I'll even settle for one without scavenge, just come on, call of the herd was so last card border

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Frost Walker was no good?

Frost walker is a fine creature, but you can't protect him ever. Decent body: Clashes utterly with what blue wants to do :p
I think with a high enough concentration of him and phantasmal bear you could forgo mana leak altogether since all it would stop would be wrath. At that point your deck seems pretty aweful though

youre gonna need to explain your card replacements on CT to me chris

oh boy. Hmmmm. Yeah Cubetutor has gotten real unwieldly as of late.
Here's what the subs mean

Nyxborn Shieldmate: Bestow {W}{3} Savannah Lions
Amrou Scout: finds humans
Kinsbaile Skirmisher: 2/1, gives a counter to another creature
Hope and Glory: Gives Counters, sorcery, flashback {2}{W}, no untap
Return to the Ranks: W1, instant, unearth
Council's Judgment: Cleaner Wording

Delver of Secrets: 1/2 flying prowess
Battlefield Thaumaturge: 2/2 prowess, on noncreature spell tap a creature
Plaxmanta: 2/2 force spike all spells/abilities that target creatuers you control
School of Piranha: 2/2, +1/+1 if you have an instand and sorcery in your yard
Thalakos Sentry: 2/1 shadow frost titan shroud
Peek: Sorcery, Vendilion Clique's Trigger, draw a card
Courier's Capsule: U1, T, Sacrifice a creature: Draw a card
Time Ebb: UU1, top or bottom instead of just top

Butcher Ghoul: 2/1, makes tapped 2/2 zombie when it dies
Entomb: B1, 1/1 flying entomb, unearth B1
Fleshmad Steed: same stats, sac for a -1/-1 counter, scavenge B1
Gravedigger: Costs B1, is 2/1
Rotting Giant: BB 3/2 can't block, scavenge B2
Addle: Costs B
Cabal Therapy: instead of name a card, you choose 2 cards, they pick 1 and discard it.
Grim Affliction: Costs B1
Imperial Edict: B1 sorcery murder
Night's Whisper: Gains life instead

Nyxborn Rollicker: R 2/2 Can't Block, Bestow RR2
Academy Raider: R1, 2/1, can't be single blocked, when he connects you can discard then draw

Aquastrand Spider: Has Evolve
Highland Game: 0/0, enters with 2 counters, has modular (without artifact creature restriction)
Wild Mammoth: has scavenge GG1 instead of the downside
Cytoplast Root-Kin: 0/0, 3 counters, ETB Proliferate
Aspect of Wolf: G, Equip G1, Equipped creature is a green 4/4
Prey's Vengeance: Gives a +1/+1 counter instead

Terramorphic Expanse: pay 1 life, land enters untapped
Kitesail: costs 1, equip 1
Pithing Needle: Costs 2, taps for 1 (ETB Tapped)
Sword of Light and Shadow: Costs 2, no protection, no lifegain trigger
Darksteel Ingot: Draws a card, ETB tapped, not indestructible.

You can go here and see the actual cards for each, but I know it's hardly a proper solution.
I try and use cards that are close enough to the actual custom card, but shitty enough you know they aren't what they look like (I'm looking at you wild mammoth)

The cubetutor beta that just went up has custom card images, but only for premium accounts. No idea what it will cost. I'm gonna ask for custom card names too

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The cubetutor beta that just went up has custom card images, but only for premium accounts. No idea what it will cost. I'm gonna ask for custom card names too

Yeah this is what irks me. No lie, I love cubetutor, but I'm not so hot on the idea of paying for a service I wouldn't use.
How much is premium? Not sure what I'd pay so you guys could draft my cube, but I'm sure there's a number there somewhere.

Gah. He doesn't even have to host images onsite! Have pointers to Imgur. BAM. Done

Yeah this is what irks me. No lie, I love cubetutor, but I'm not so hot on the idea of paying for a service I wouldn't use.
How much is premium? Not sure what I'd pay so you guys could draft my cube, but I'm sure there's a number there somewhere.

Gah. He doesn't even have to host images onsite! Have pointers to Imgur. BAM. Done

His issue is that he's paying (doobly doobly) out of pocket every month for hosting, but still wants people to be able to use the site for free.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
His issue is that he's paying (blub) out of pocket every month for hosting, but still wants people to be able to use the site for free.

Jesus, (doooooobly)? I suppose there aren't any adds on the site...

That is frustrating. Mine is not the practice of buisness, (More coding) so I have no idea how he'd keep the site in the black,

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
His issue is that he's paying (doobly doo) out of pocket every month for hosting, but still wants people to be able to use the site for free.

... you know that as a CubeTutor beta tester that Ben is requesting you not divulge all of this information - on a public forum! - at this time

but since it's now out there. the dividing line between free features and premium features on any subscription site doesn't usually come down to 'ease of implementation', but more 'what is a good value-add that the frequent, regular users of this site might be willing to pony up for'

... you know that as a CubeTutor beta tester that Ben is requesting you not divulge all of this information - on a public forum! - at this time

but since it's now out there. the dividing line between free features and premium features on any subscription site doesn't usually come down to 'ease of implementation', but more 'what is a good value-add that the frequent, regular users of this site might be willing to pony up for'

Dang I missed that. I'd change it but I can't edit chris's quote.
Ssh!! nobody tell anyone

I take umbrage at Idea Plant. In part because it's a free peek, but especially because it can be a t1 free peek. Won't a player with a healthy selection of Instants and other "surprises" in their deck be pretty sad when their opponent gets a free peek at their whole starting hand?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Sounds good to me but I can't say I see a change

He's redacted the dollar values, which is probably a good choice. Thanks James.

I take umbrage at Idea Plant. In part because it's a free peek, but especially because it can be a t1 free peek. Won't a player with a healthy selection of Instants and other "surprises" in their deck be pretty sad when their opponent gets a free peek at their whole starting hand?

A) gitaxian probe is in my list, and that's a free peek more than anything else (That may have been the card you were referencing come to think of it)
B) Knowing your opponent has cards doesn't always equate to being able to play around them. Most of the tricks in my cube are so cheap that trying to play around them only ends in you contorting your game plan too much, and you end up stumbling.

This card had the effect I describe on time spiral limited (So I hear)
229.jpg

It's really really cheap, and trying to play around both boosts makes blocking really awkward, so you kind of just have to hope they don't have it and move on, accepting that if they do have it you'll just have to muscle through it.

Assuming you are talking about idea plant and not gitaxian probe, I'm slightly more surprised your issue isn't with a blue duress :p

I'm a fan of bending the color pie - it smooths over these sort of issues that my friends have complained about: "when unsure, always pick blue in limited", "you can go control in red, but your deck will come together easier and you'll have more options if you stick to aggro/tempo", or "white is boring".

Not that I condone taking the best effects from one color and just spritzing them into another, like Mana Tithe, but yeah I can see enemy hand/deck manipulation being blue. The fact that they get a draw, making it not a real discard and helping obscure their plans/options makes it less Duressy, to me. I'd just prefer it to come down a turn or two later, or not be a cantrip.

I already hate anything that uses Phyrexian mana, but I've given up on yelling about that one over a year ago. Though with the probe, at least it's just a peek and not damaging the card quality of their hand. Stapling on the weak not-Duress seems worth an extra mana even moreso, in that light.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm a fan of bending the color pie - it smooths over these sort of issues that my friends have complained about: "when unsure, always pick blue in limited", "you can go control in red, but your deck will come together easier and you'll have more options if you stick to aggro/tempo", or "white is boring".

Not that I condone taking the best effects from one color and just spritzing them into another, like Mana Tithe, but yeah I can see enemy hand/deck manipulation being blue. The fact that they get a draw, making it not a real discard and helping obscure their plans/options makes it less Duressy, to me. I'd just prefer it to come down a turn or two later, or not be a cantrip.

I already hate anything that uses Phyrexian mana, but I've given up on yelling about that one over a year ago. Though with the probe, at least it's just a peek and not damaging the card quality of their hand. Stapling on the weak not-Duress seems worth an extra mana even moreso, in that light.

That's fair. The reason I have it as a cantrip is because nobody's willing to play a card that doesn't affect the board, but affects their card quality somewhat, same reason people don't usually play careful study just to ditch lands.

The reason it doesn't cost cost 2 is because nobody ever played distress either :p (This wasn't because of the heavy black cost). It does have a bit of the stone rain problem I'll admit (A card that is too strong at 3 and too weak at 4, for eg). I opted for the cheaper version because I'm confident my cube can handle it. It probably shouldn't say target player (Rather target opponent) since it probably doesn't also need to be see beyond, but I can change that next patch.

Phyrexian Mana is a weird one, and certainly needs to be applied sparingly. Peek is an effect I'm okay with being colorless and free, but pull under clearly proved to be insane when dismember was about, a bear would be really problematic.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, I'm gonna spitball some ideas for white.

I've grown a bit resentful of fencing ace: He's only a bit better than goblin piker if you don't have any synergy going on, but I'm finding the upside of your 2 drop swinging for 4-8 on turn 3 is a bit swingy. Even in limiting myself to only small pump effects (Ghor-Clan Rampager is the only one that adds 4, adding 3 is rare) the deck has proved itself to be quite explosive. It's been fun, but I want to try something new.

Here's the equipment I run at the moment, all support cards for double strike creatures:

The kitesail/sword are custom, but you get the point. Of these, I think Bonesplitter and Grafted Wargear are worth keeping, whereas the kitesail, pikes and Sword could probably go. In fact with the double strike creatures leaving, a second wargear might find it's way in, since it was beatable before, but now kills people slower.

As well, there's a few other cards I had in for double strike:

And
uFRDTCZ.png

Spectral Flight, Warhound, Sylvan Might and the Elephant Guides (They're new) probably don't need to stay, but I like Reckless Charge, Rancor, Vines of Vastwood and the Multicolor cards. (God I love bloodrush. My cube needs more bloodrush)
Bestial Mask I'm actually excited for with this update, since now it can shine for being a super sweet thing to play & equip on turn 2 to a birds of paradise, rather than being second only to grafted wargear as the best thing to throw on fencing ace. It kind of lets you go keyword hunting, like soulflayer but good :p

Anyways, between the above cards mostly leaving and all the double strike creatures probably leaving with them (I'll probably keep silverblade paladin, he's my favorite), what do you guys think I should add?

The double strike theme was spread across RWG, so I'll have some extra room opening up there.

White currently has support for Control, Prowess, and some +1/+1 counter support. Green is mostly Ramp/Pod, with bits of +1/+1 counter support as well, and Red has overlap with the sacrifice theme, prowess, and +1/+1 counter support that all kind of weave into a general aggro deck, as well as some wildfire support. If you guys have archetype ideas that overlap with any of those really well, I'd love to hear them.

Disclaimer: Remember! This is a custom cube! I've you've always wanted to see a white based artifact aggro deck or something insane but think that court homunculus and Leonin Squire aren't really enough to hold the deck together, I can fix that! Feel free to suggest individual cards you think might be worth building a deck around and I can literally pull the rest of the deck out of thin air if that's what's necessary

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Push RWG Landfall? Multiple Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede, Lotus Cobra, Courser, add some customs?

That's an option. I've already got double cobra and the 22 fetches, might need to add some more since they're such high picks already.

What kinda cards would you like to see in the archetype?