The Dandy Cube (Chris Taylor's Cube)

Crossover with other archetypes. A spell or two that fit the theme. Maybe Harrow, some land tutor, or something similar. Maybe a red bloodghast variant of sorts?

Green Dude - {G}{2}
Creature - Druid
Landfall - When a land enters the battlefield under your control, if ~ is in your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
3/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm not too sold on landfall as a build around. From my experience playing boros bushwacker in standard, the deck had this akward problem of needing to draw both gas and a land to keep going. I can probably mitigate that by making the fetchland case worse and the no land drop case better, but I'm not sure that solves the problem of how people feel, even if the gameplay is fine.

On topic: I've been looking at white cards, looking for cool ones I could use/improve on. I'm only at the 4 drops so far, but I've still found a few cool cards:

Battallion is interesting. I've noticed that white's 3 power creatures either tend to be fragile or cost 4, most of their creatures don't punch above their CMC, they're evasive or have utility instead. Maybe batallion is an interesting way to fill that gap?

Ever the interesting card. Would it be too good if it afected all your creatures?

Might be an interesting savannah lion

Interesting, but unfortunatly bad. I love me some spellskite though, maybe there's a happy medium?

I've got a casual deck with this + the enchantment creatures from theros. Maybe that's worth cubing?

If double strike turns into heroic, this could be interesting. I might make a new version though, I don't like protection, even like this.

Maybe worth revisiting with prowess? Never did enough beforehand

I'd love if this guy was workable. Maybe he should be?

I miss this guy

Enchantment avoids people regrowing bolts while still supporting prowess. I'd be removing the tap symbol like FSR does though

I almost love this creature, it might need a better body

If you do want landfall, this card could be interesting

This is a card I'd love to have in my cube somehow.

Something like this could be an interesting disruptive creature

Good enough if it cost 1?

I'm generally anti-cards that cost CC. 1CC isn't too bad, but CC often can't hit the table until turn 4, at which point its efficiency per mana is not such a big deal anymore.

Enchantment synergy is one of my favorite things in white, though. And a 2/2 arrester (or something) might make the cut. He's just a tiny bit disappointing despite being kinda interesting.

Ethereal armor was very swingy for me, but is quite cool. A Brave the elements that affected all creaturs and cost 1w may be OK. Azorius arrested could hit a permanent instead of just creatures?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm generally anti-cards that cost CC. 1CC isn't too bad, but CC often can't hit the table until turn 4, at which point its efficiency per mana is not such a big deal anymore.

I do too, but mana is good here, and I don't think you should never run CC cards. Ash Zealot has been so successful I've added a second, for example.

Ethereal armor was very swingy for me, but is quite cool. A Brave the elements that affected all creaturs and cost 1w may be OK. Azorius arrested could hit a permanent instead of just creatures?
It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how fun a +n/+n aura is even if it does go off, but maybe.
I was actually thinking of improving the base body instead of the trigger of arrester.

I was gonna try brave at {W} but all creatures, since the efficiency of the card is a huge draw for me. Negate was always lackluster over here

Sort of a Negate/Safe Passage/Teleportal charm. (is there anything else that makes all your creatures unblockable?)
Falter? :p Not exactly but that's the archetypical effect, I think

I sorta just wana make you a bunch of white token instants now lol.
Is stone forge in? Its probably fine with your equipment.

Seeker of the way into lingering souls is super fun and almost fair magic.

Giving small white decks a way to either recur or find a wasteland could be archetype making.

Giving small white decks more cards that big white decks are also interested in helps the health of your format a lot.

Spells matter and wrath safe creatures as white's bleeder synergies are my best idea. Heliod pilgrim is really good in some cubes but might be too peak-and-valley in yours. You never want pants strategies being too good right?

yah white tokens could work. How about:

I suck at naming cards.tokenmaker - {W}
Sorcery
Put a 1/1 white human token onto the battlefield.
If you cast at least one spell before this one this turn, put two 1/1 white human tokens onto the battlefield instead.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
yah white tokens could work. How about:

I suck at naming cards.tokenmaker - {W}
Sorcery
Put a 1/1 white human token onto the battlefield.
If you cast at least one spell before this one this turn, put two 1/1 white human tokens onto the battlefield instead.

Why not just storm? Maybe at 1W?

Disregarding the current card, my theory is that because the best case is worse than a storm card, the base case can be better, so it should allow cards to be played outside dedicated storm decks.

This card is a bit weak though, perhaps

Actually rebound would be perfect.

Storm would be fine on the card in cube, but I try to avoid cards that would be super broken in constructed

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actually rebound would be perfect.

Storm would be fine on the card in cube, but I try to avoid cards that would be super broken in constructed

I also kinda just don't like storm :p

There's also something to be said about not misleading people: I could run entomb, but I run an unearth guy with entomb on ETB to kinda demonstrate that maybe you aren't casting animate dead after him.

If people see the storm 1 drop, do they think "Hey, prowess!" or do they think "Huh, so now I'll need to find the rite of flames and Goblin Bushwhackers

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
There's also something to be said about not misleading people: I could run entomb, but I run an unearth guy with entomb on ETB to kinda demonstrate that maybe you aren't casting animate dead after him.[/quoe]
This seems quite well thought through. Cool.

If people see the storm 1 drop, do they think "Hey, prowess!" or do they think "Huh, so now I'll need to find the rite of flames and Goblin Bushwhackers

You're right, I guess. Rebound works really well here.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
New ideas
Uhk62az.jpg
mxIAMzD.jpg
X5D552t.jpg
ds76iLn.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel a little sad that the art for brothers in arms features three people, not two :p

All I needed was something with two warrior types standing back to back, but no. Deviant art always had them making out or something -_-

Also: The white lady is a legend in many types of folklore, usually about about a woman killed in a blizzard or by spurned lover that appears to waylay travelers, leading them to the same fate as her (Linky)

Depending on which kind of mythology you like, you may recognize her more Asian inspired name: Yuki-Onna, which I'd love to use

Were it not already a magic card.