Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

As the person who normally bitches about that kinda thing... yeah, it would.

The issue here is that Magic already uses the two "normal" ways of emphasizing text (bold and italics), so you'd have to, I dunno, underline the text or use sᴍᴀʟʟ ᴄᴀᴘs.

EDIT: Or, heck, just use a light-but-still-contrasting shade of gray. It just needs to be something that you can easily and intuitively ignore while reading the dang card.

brackets are fine imo, they’re not super pretty but like… they’re not horrible
I think we, as a community, have come to expect more polish from WotC with how mechanics are communicated over the recent years, such as their use of frame styles. This format works, but is jarring in contrast.

My only major qualm is if they use too many sets of brackets on a single card; the fake counterspell was difficult to parse with 3 sets.

"OK, guys, you're all going to have to check for Rötschreck."
"Why?"

chandradressedtokillp.jpg
Primo WoD reference. I approve.

Also, I like this but not as much as I like Torch of Defiance or Acolyte of Flame, so the good news is that I don't have to shell out for the good art version of this.

They can't put the counters on themselves, unfortunately. You need a second creature to part the counters on.

That's not necessarily a dealbreaker for some people but it does make the card highly context dependent.
I think most RG decks can come by a second creature, and if you are putting it in any number of RGx decks that mess around with P/T they should also be able to get buffed. Just a bonesplitter turns them up to 11. But yeah, not "universally impactful" I suppose (a la bloodbraid elf etc.).

Hot Take: I think this [BRACKETS] mechanic is a terrible thing to keep exploring.

First we had Overload.
Then, we had the stupid Kaldheim charms that let your opponent do a thing unless you juice them up. (not the most straightforward templating for cubing)

Now this?

Just make everything kicker and be done with it. Jesus. So SO sick of trying to keep up with 1 Billion different versions of the same modal/kicker shit. It is completely wrecking the game imo. Who can keep up with this nonsense anymore? I certainly can't.

I know there is a lot to come, but so far, this set hasn't got me hyped really. Disturb is back but in an weird way with a bad enchantment theme attached, Exploit and Training are kinda boring, filler mechanics. Blood tokens could be really good but I don't really like the flavor and it just seems weird to have them next to the resonant treasure, food and clue tokens. There are a bunch of tribal cards and very strong rares as well as some akward designs (like that assassin that only works against players with barely a board).

Also, my biggest gripe: there is no goddamn flashbavk anymore! Why would you not keep that from MID? It's probably the coolest spell keyword and it fits the world of Innistrad so well.

But let's see, maybe next week will be hit after hit revealed for me.

I know there is a lot to come, but so far, this set hasn't got me hyped really. Disturb is back but in an weird way with a bad enchantment theme attached, Exploit and Training are kinda boring, filler mechanics. Blood tokens could be really good but I don't really like the flavor and it just seems weird to have them next to the resonant treasure, food and clue tokens. There are a bunch of tribal cards and very strong rares as well as some akward designs (like that assassin that only works against players with barely a board).

Also, my biggest gripe: there is no goddamn flashbavk anymore! Why would you not keep that from MID? It's probably the coolest spell keyword and it fits the world of Innistrad so well.

But let's see, maybe next week will be hit after hit revealed for me.
Same page. "This set is kinda lame so far, but it is Innistrad...: