Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Spoilers

Frolicking Familiar is just incredible. I love it. Can't wait to see the shwocase version. Guess I have to cut Third Path Iconoclast. OTTER WIZARD.

Decadent Dragon is just disgusting. It's really close to {2}{B} Instant: Draw three cards. And one of them is an incredibly pushed 4-drop. Bonecrusher Giant looks tame next to it.

I'm hoping for some decent food support to make Wicked Wolf's ability not just flavor text. It's a real clean design and I loved how it played during Eldraine limited, but only having Gilded Goose for so long (mostly because Oko is bullshit) made it trinket text.

Frolicking Familiar is just incredible. I love it. Can't wait to see the shwocase version. Guess I have to cut Third Path Iconoclast. OTTER WIZARD.
Do you need to cut from a gold slot for Otter? I could easily see it being spreadsheeted as a red Instant, and I think your Cube is low power enough that you could count the 2/2 flyer as the "main" face no problem if you wanted! Food for thought.

oko is a fair and fun magic card
Funny how such an eminently fair card ended up being completely broken lol. What too much loyalty does to an MF.

landofMordor

Administrator
OTTER WIZARD
:gp:
Decadent Dragon is just disgusting. It's really close to {2}{B} Instant: Draw three cards. And one of them is an incredibly pushed 4-drop. Bonecrusher Giant looks tame next to it.
This may have been just hyperbole (and if so, egg on my face) but 2mv "draw 2" is way better than 3mv "draw 3", just because more 2nd lands are drawn than 3rd lands (setting aside the requirement for the Dragon to be a 2-color deck). But even then, one of Stomp's "cards" is often paid out in immediate board/mana advantage. and a single-pipped 3mv 4/3 with "Ward-lite" is more castable (and arguably more impactful) than a 2RR 4/4 flyer in most 1v1 Magic formats.

OH also, as a general comment, I think it may have gone unnoticed that Decadent Dragon does not color-wash your opponent's randomly "drawn" cards. If they're not playing your colors, you'll need the Dragon's Treasure, or else get lucky with your opponent's lands. That's a huge hit to power level in Limited, where presumably the 5 colors are split fairly evenly among your opponents.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm particularly interested in any Grixis colors adventures, I'll have to double check if I run any other "draw off your opponent's deck" effects and how they're worded. Ideally all versions of this effect would work the same way in my cube.

I can probably just do a quick edit if it comes back Decadent Dragon is an outlier

Definitely a neat card if there is a G/x Artifacts slant in the cube. It can get big in a hurry, but unlike Teething Wurmlet at 1 there is a lot more competition at the 2 drop slot for green decks. For me this would be competing with Gala Greeters, but without a critical mass of enchantments in my cube I probably lean towards the Greeters. A nice simple design.

1692192155731.png

I feel like this could have a home in my artifact-heavy environment. I've been itching for another mass reanimation spell...but it's probably a little too limiting.

1692192254222.png

This might compete for the Baleful Strix slot. Now I need to find more reasons to run Phyrexian Dreadnought lol

1692192515652.png

Gives me a Fae of Wishes vibe. The adventure is probably too expensive/limited for me to run. The base body is fine, but underwhelming. I wish the adventure returned any card in your graveyard, not just the milled. Then you could reanimate the card you discarded when returning Bramble Familiar to your hand. Seems like a missed opportunity that would'nt have been too powerful

1692192832798.png

Fun card. A little too low impact for my environment since the 2nd and 3rd ability would rarely be a factor.

0dcb97ff-9356-4be7-8991-091f950c0b63.jpg

Alright this will just be a straight replacement for Nurturing Peatland in my cube. This art is delightful, I love incidental graveyard hate. And the stats are reasonable to me. Did I mention the art is amazing?

But besides Rattatooie, three blind mice, and the two takes on gingerbrute, I feel like we haven't really seen many direct fairy tale tropes/references. There is that rat piper guy I guess. But mostly it feels like you're average high fantasy world this time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1692222319644.png119 - Scrabbling Crawler.jpg
(My custom on the right)
Yes I nerfed Unlicensed Herse, it's quite good at it's job)
Scrabbling Crawler has been good to great in my cube, and we all love good incidental graveyard hate. Don't let the first two abilities on the cauldron distract you, T: Exile a card, add some board presence is a solid effect!

But besides Rattatooie, three blind mice, and the two takes on gingerbrute, I feel like we haven't really seen many direct fairy tale tropes/references. There is that rat piper guy I guess. But mostly it feels like you're average high fantasy world this time.

You think so? I keep noticing stuff:
1692222494088.png
Literally called Mother Goose

1692222526534.png
Red Riding Hood

1692222534551.png
Cinderella

1692222688018.png
Gretel, of Hansel and Gretel

1692222553157.png
Jack and the Beanstalk

1692222594837.png
While hardly specific to fairy tales, a lot of them introduce the protagonist this way

1692222632576.png
I mean it's usually a princess getting woken up, but sure

1692222663678.png
Genderflipped beauty and the beast

troyangutsyexplorer.jpg

Jack, of Jack and the beanstalk

hyldaoftheicycrown.jpg
agathaofthevilecauldron.jpg
erietteofthecharmedapple.jpg

Hylda is The white witch, Agatha is...idk every witch? Eriette is specifically a reference to snow white

Okay I hit the 10 image limit a while ago ima stop

You think so? I keep noticing stuff:
I think the fairy-tale references are a little more spread out than in the last set, as well. Most of Throne of Eldraine was Arthurian flavored, with only a few fairy-tale cards mixed in. As such, the references were mostly contained to one card per story. For example, there was only one Gilded Goose, one Queen of Ice, and so on. With this set, each story has multiple cards embodying specific story moments.

For example, the Sorcerer's Apprentice story is being told in this set through the eyes of Johan:
johannapprenticesorcerer.jpg

And he's having a bit of a folly:
theapprenticesfolly.jpg

Luckily, he's able to stop the reflections through a Stopgap:
johannsstopgap.jpg

And I think there are a few other cards in here flavored to related to this story, like Restless Spire, Scalding Viper, and Torch the Tower.

There's a lot of this going on in the set– even though most things aren't individually "on the nose," the full story is told across multiple cards.

That is strong!

But this set is difficult for most of our cubes because of all the off-color adventure cards. I myself have a hard time finding room for these awesome flexible cards.

Zauberlehrling.
UH OH LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE TRIGGERED MY PATENTED MAGIC-FACTS TRAP
(...hopefully it goes over better than that dark and terrible time I made mention of Kormus Bell that nobody dares talk about to this day...)

I mean, uh... didja know that those feisty fellers over at WotC actually printed two different cards in German with that name? Yes indeedy, 'tis true—the oh-so-lowly Magical Hack and his apparent twin, Apprentice Wizard. (yessiree, quite the damning calamity I would say [and I do!], but anyways...) Behold! ;)

1692262104759.png 1692262137027.png