General [ZNR] Zendikar Rising Spoilers

gw3qmit6lwk51.jpg

I don't love the rate, but I love that Enchantments can now be dealt with outside of WG.

fearlessfledglingp.jpg

Wow... This looks really strong. It's usually going to be at least a 3/3 for two mana provided you play it on turn two. It's not a great draw in the late game, but it also isn't horrible there either.

Good aggro card, great counters card, 10/10 will test.

I'd have given Feed the Swarm a try at instant.

bloodbeckoning.jpg

This would have been sweet with Kicker 4, return to battlefield instead.

songmadtreachery.jpg

Threaten is an effect that scales as the game goes on, so having this be a land early and steal a fatty late is a really cool design.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
fearlessfledglingp.jpg

Wow... This looks really strong. It's usually going to be at least a 3/3 for two mana provided you play it on turn two. It's not a great draw in the late game, but it also isn't horrible there either.

Good aggro card, great counters card, 10/10 will test.

Man I remember when people were losing their minds over this:

Hagras-Bite-ZNR-265.webp

Likely won't ever be cheaper in Cube (unless you let your drafters go really deep), but the land versatility is there...

Kargan-Intimidator-ZNR-265.webp

Nice. The best rules text in Magic on a more playable card.

Thieving-Skydiver-ZNR-265.webp

Oh, this is cool.

Roil-Eruption-ZNR-265.webp

Someone smooshed Volcanic Hammer and Burst Lightning together!

Adventure-Awaits-ZNR-265.webp

Wish this said creature or land, but it's still cool. I love me some green cantrips.

Nissa-of-Shadowed-Boughs-ZNR-265.webp

Pretty sure I like 4 mana Vraska better than this, but I will note that it works well with the hypnotoad.

Hagras-Bite-ZNR-265.webp

Likely won't ever be cheaper in Cube (unless you let your drafters go really deep), but the land versatility is there...

In my cube there are most likely a player who has 0 Basics in the later stages of the tournament.
I dig this card! For us it has an increasing value as the tournament progresses which hopefully should lead to choice dilemmas when drafting.

that warrior is just wonderful.
Him + Mardu Woe-Reaper + Blood-Chin Rager seems like the new quintessential “Mardu Warriors matter” payoff package.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Adventure-Awaits-ZNR-265.webp

I noticed this thing a while back and I'm not sure this wording is better or worse than "creature or land"

Moraug-Fury-of-Akoum-ZNR-265.webp
Phylath-World-Sculptor-ZNR-265.webp

You ever see a card and you're like "Man is that an EDH card", and hate it?
I saw these, thought that, but then loved it :p

What's everybody's feeling on double faced cards in general? The ugliness of needing a helper card in the draft is a big downer for me. I do really like the concept of a modal land/spell card, though.

Wasn't there a thread about dense cards or something like that?
scaletheheights.jpg

I saw the green one of these and was pretty excited, but look what they did to my boy...
inscriptionofruin1.jpg

That kicker cost :( Going to be late in the game before you're squeezing any extra value out of this. The three effects are all pretty poor for a 3 mana sorcery AND the second and third effect are going to be less useful by the time you have 7 mana to kick it, anyways. Might be worth a try because versatility is so valuable, but I'm underwhelmed.

What's everybody's feeling on double faced cards in general? The ugliness of needing a helper card in the draft is a big downer for me. I do really like the concept of a modal land/spell card, though.

I'm already not running better/more exciting DFCs from SOI and INN. I'm not about to run these either.

I'd have preferred giving the Slice and Dice treatment to Forgotten Cave.

the MDFC "dual" lands are cool enough for Pioneer and might be interesting in cubes where the fixing benchmark includes bouncelands (which will have the upside of allowing to change the color when you replay it), but for people on the Taiga / Stomping Grounds / Wooded Foothills end of the spectrum, they're probably also a miss.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

I've shortcutted it in my head that all these have "plainscycling 1" for whatever color they are

Subtly powerful I'll venture, but I still want the front side to be useful

I'm already not running better/more exciting DFCs from SOI and INN. I'm not about to run these either.

I'd have preferred giving the Slice and Dice treatment to Forgotten Cave.

the MDFC "dual" lands are cool enough for Pioneer and might be interesting in cubes where the fixing benchmark includes bouncelands (which will have the upside of allowing to change the color when you replay it), but for people on the Taiga / Stomping Grounds / Wooded Foothills end of the spectrum, they're probably also a miss.

I'm quite possibly buying new hardware to double-sleeve my cube just so I can play these.

These cards might not be the most exciting cards on the planet in the Traditional or Refined sense, but they are god tier in terms of helping to create more interesting gameplay. Your cube is probably already running a Murder or Regrowth anyway, so you might as well use the slot on a version of the card which can also help with smoothing and variance reduction. The number of non-games that will be avoided by giving players access to spells which can also be lands are worth the slots in general.

Your cube is probably already running a Murder or Regrowth anyway, so you might as well use the slot on a version of the card which can also help with smoothing and variance reduction. The number of non-games that will be avoided by giving players access to spells which can also be lands are worth the slots in general.

I actually am runnng neither murder nor regrowth at the moment after review, huh. I run a lot of scry and cycling to attempt to address the non games issue, and landfall to address flood (I suspect most players will use these effects as 24+ and not instead of 23, so they mostly address flood and not screw.)

Issue for me with DFCs is less experienced drafters (Being lands makes this easier I agree) and the issues with dealing with dual faced cards on physical play. (No easy fixes unless I commit space to checklists or extra copies so there’s no mid game unsleeving.)

Consider instead:

Monch’d
{1}{B}{B}
Sorcery
destroy target creature
Landwish 0 (0, exile this card: Choose a basic swamp you own from outside the game and put it onto the battlefield tapped, you cannot play a land from your hand this turn.)

Murderer’s Row
Land
Muderer’s Row enters the battlefield Tapped.
T: add {B}
Channel -{1}{B}{B}, Discard this card from your hand: destroy target creature. Activate this ability only when you could cast a Sorcery.

I understand why Wizards didn’t print them this way (the former has issues with explore effects And makes a basic instead of a non basic, the latter requires stifle to counter, Both are wordier and are less evocative) but I’d run either custom before I’d run the DFC version in my paper cube.

I don’t have any issues with “lands that are also spells”, and actually think the cards are pretty cool. I have logistical issues with “is a two sided card”.

edit: that Magmatic Channeler is missing the Spellshaper creature type. Cool card for sure

Channeler rocks.

The DFC Spell/Lands here shouldn't be an issue with what the back does if you avoid playing the mythic ones that have a different back than all the rest.

Card's old, but it's pretty solid value and hate plus gives me serious Torment vibes...
yasharnimplacableearthp.jpg

Free growing Bear seems decent. Can send itself to 3/3 before its first attack or divvy up the counters or whatever you need. Flexible and solid.
luminarchaspirantp.jpg

ctjn2pzt7dl51.png

I'm excited. there's a possibility it's too good for some cubes, but the body is the right size and the rules text is definitely intriguing.

Luminarch Aspirant is definitely going to get tested too, +1/+1 counters is the midrange/control theme in WR for me (Let me tell you about how Ion Storm would always move someone into that deck, but then never make the maindeck of that deck) This seems like it might slot right in.

I am hoping the last two mythic rare Modal DFC aren’t super interesting. Here are the three we have now:

0A444F07-0979-496F-9B62-01418550CE1D.jpegB494C530-D878-4D7E-9A31-29DABB5C116E.jpeg6513EFF8-A403-4342-8ACA-DBEAF3709CFB.jpeg

I wish to keep all the Modal DFCs in my cube with the same back side so players will always know that the back side is a tapped monocolored land. This means no mythic Bolt lands as the one above.

Are you guys doing something similiar?

I do however like the Pathway lands.

8D2054B4-759B-4A18-A564-B95919CB3DBE.jpeg

I have preordered all 6 of them in foil and all 6 of them in that showcase foil version. They were $5 each and I can’t imagine them going lower since no one would ever run Basics instead. Yes there are Anathemancers, Blood Moons and Fabled Passages but come on :p Opinions?

Yeah Leyline Tyrant looks like an awesome support piece for the “spend X mana” RG deck that is slowly becoming a possibility for cube architects. this is a really nice set for cube so far.

I'm quite possibly buying new hardware to double-sleeve my cube just so I can play these.

Reducing non-games does hold a great deal of appeal.

How does double sleeving the cube make these viable for you? I am trying to figure out the connection, but I'm coming up blank.