Card/Deck +1/+1 Counters

Anyone ever think about a -1/-1 counter theme? SHM/EVE: so good

etc.

weeeeeeee

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

For some reason I was thinking tha the Druid was worded the other way around. Still works with Quillspike though!

Laz

Developer
I like that combo. There is something about hitting someone with an arbitrarily large hedgehog that appeals to me.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
635455091583761249.png

Do we have a new friend here?

Pros: Dirt cheap, hard to remove type, snowballs advantages.

Cons: If you aren't hitting multiple triggers, its a conditional anthem.

I think its awesome. Stupidly fast, actually, if you run ordeals.

It certainly helps anchor people into the archetype. Actually, I think this could be one of those cards that makes a Timmy go "I want as many counters as I can get)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It can certainly lead to some insane openings. Not sure if those are actually healthy for the game, but as far as "combo" decks go, its pretty fair.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Huh I thought that was a 2/3 from the spoiler :p It's much better now that it's base restoration angel stats.

I kinda like the {W}{2} 2/3 with outlast and gives creatures with +1/+1 counters on them flying. Could be cool

As long as the creatures themselves are playable outside of the theme and things incidentally play into the theme it can probably be great. I'm thinking in the same vein as the GW lifegain (finks, courser, archangel etc)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I don't know when it happened, but there are a lot of cards that give trample right now. I was considering of about adding archetype of aggression at one point and I remember thinking "didn't I just add a card that does the exact same thing?"

Indeed, I had

<3 Nylea

I don't think this effect is interesting enough that it needs to be synergy dependent.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It can be though. back when my green proliferate placeholder spell was {G}{1} +2/+2 and deathtouch, and it got played more on guys with first strike or trample than any other (Even spikeshot elder :p)

You guys must be going nuts with this +1/+1 counter tribal they are forcing onto limited.

Do your cubes like run tonnes of Planeswalkers to make proliferate cool too?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thrummingbird needs a lower power level and some explicit theme support, but Volt Charge and Tezz's Gambit both work at a high power level.

I think I've been convinced that counter theme doesn't have to suck! Especially if it's like 1 drop, planeswalker and persist/undying based, it could possibly be an easy slide. But I also tend to be supes dubious about onboard themes that interact with a new resource and don't help with card selection.