Sets BNG Spoilers

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I particularly like how the Vigilance on the tokens isn't a static Brimaz ability. They need to be vigilant even (especially?) after their lord is dead.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Anyone else pissed the green archetype is hexproof?
I don't know what else for it to be (and I have NO IDEA what the red/black ones will be) but I don't want it to be that (even if it does cost 8)

the red one could be haste, as there's 1 white and 1 blue creature with haste

I hoped for trample or flash, which could have been interesting, hexproof makes sure I will never touch it. Also, the red one is haste.

They couldn't really give green trample since Nylea does that already... it's "obvious" that red is haste because it has _nothing_ else consistently, but 2 things: Removing haste from your opponent's creatures is pretty worthless a ton of the time, and hammer of purphoros already gives all your creatures haste. It'd be great if it made all your creatures two-headed but I'm not sure how that would be removed from opponent's creatures in an effective way. Red sure doesn't do much else though... I have slight faith that it won't cost eight million and be double strike. Black also doesn't have a particular keyword beyond intimidate, but that also seems pretty pathetic to remove from your opponent's creatures.

I think these are kind of interesting, I was wondering when we'd get Praetors again.

I'm also completely ready to overhear "Well my guy takes first strike away from your guys and since doublestrike is just first strike plus regular strike he just loses the first strike part" or something along those lines.

attachment.php

this owns

perhaps stating the obvious here, but it entirely depends on how often your opponents will want to draw extra cards. those 3 are much less conditional. in aggro vs aggro i'd much rather have the paladin or skyjek

unrelated to cube, vialing it in as resp to brainstorm will be quite a beating in legacy

CML

Contributor
Power-level wise, how do you think it compares to white's other 3-power 2-drops?

(in cube, obviously)

no question it's better than the paladin and youth (though you knew i'd say that), vs. skyjek though there's only one way to find out ... :)

i like to include every possible card from the new sets (incl. stupid shit a lot of the time) and da spirit is worth it

Power-level wise, how do you think it compares to white's other 3-power 2-drops?

(in cube, obviously)

My first reaction when I saw it was, sweet, cube card! But on more reflection I'm not sure it's that good. I mean, sure it's good against blue obviously, but it just runs into any form of blocker and dies or just sits back and chills. I think I would probably prefer any of the three cards Jason lists above, yes probably even daring skyjek.

1W: next turn your creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn and deal 4 damage to the 1 power creature of your opponent's choice, unless your opponent deals one damage.

best sorcery. certainly better than the 1/1 that turns into a 3/3.

attachment.php

this owns

What a vicious hate-bear. Hate-bear isn't even the right phrase, as it's a 3/1. But I digress. Stats are obviously good, being an enchantment probably adds a tiny bit of fragility. But still, for this cost + stats, it would be an auto-include for any aggro deck. And she'll just ruin games where the opponent makes a perfectly reasonable decision to keep a hand, dependent on card draw. Even though that situation might be rare, what's there to gain by having it as a possibility? An enchantment creature? Spirit Tribal interactions? Those don't seem worth it.

As far as the other 3/1 for 1/W are concerned: Largely they are awesome because of the 3 power. Paladin can sometimes feel like a win-more, so I think vs. skyjek it comes down to where you want the power level of WW aggro to be. Cloistered Youth is probably my favorite, because it's weak for a turn, but going to 3/3 is a huge jump. Losing 1 a turn means the card is still geared toward aggro, but white usually has the incidental lifegain to offset this. Also, the transformation has zero synergy with "white matters" cards like Honor of the Pure or tribal interactions. I think that can make for an interesting decision when drafting - a powerful card with a drawback, and no synergy, or a card with less raw power, but no drawbacks and potential for synergy.

1W: next turn your creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn and deal 4 damage to the 1 power creature of your opponent's choice, unless your opponent deals one damage.

best sorcery. certainly better than the 1/1 that turns into a 3/3.

I didn't mean to be a dick here, so sorry if I came off as one. Shitty day at work.