General Custom Cards: The Lab

The only real problem I saw with provoke is that if one guy has the biggest creature it will more likely stay this way than the average game. But there are many solutions to this problem if you ask me.
There is something as double block. This is painful, but better to lose two critters than your whole board slowly

There is something as double block. This is painful, but better to lose two critters than your whole board slowly

I am just sharing Wizards of the Coast’s own experiences with provoke. But I agree that there are ways to work around this problem. Both from a design perspective and from the players’ perspective.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I know that provoke has some mechanical pitfalls (instant speed removal turning a great attack into a massacre being the main one), but I love the mechanic a lot. I wish WotC would bring it back, or maybe an updated version (When ~ attacks, you may untap up to one target creature an opponent controls. That creature must block if able and can block only ~ this combat.)

Could also be some sort of counter (not counter spells but counters you put on players and permanents) mechanic where a creature can only provoke once or twice depending on how many charge provoke counters it has. To avoid repetitive game states.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
With some good flashback options available in Temur, I was wondering whether I could shape casting spells from the graveyard into an archetype with some customs. First up, the green Burning Vengeance!

Awakened Anger.jpg

As previously noted, Temur has some seriously lackluster spells. Kess, Dissident Mage has always been one of my favorite cards in my cube, but I don't run Grixis anymore. Enter Ssek, the Temur variant, but with prowess, so it survives Wildfire, and the ability to play lands from the yard as well, so... it goes well with Wildfire! ;)

Ssek, Hissing Vent Sage.jpg

Last edited:
zBWiN2Q.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So close. Just remove the “Creatures you control have” and the quotes, and change “this creature” to “a creature you control”, and you’re there!

I decided to do classes for my custom Pokémagic cube. They look like this:

Medium Klasse-1.jpg

That's a lot of photoshop work to have these 2003 frame versions with all the customized elements as classes. So I want to make sure I am close to a well balanced card design before I do the work.

So please help me balancing these. They should feel like a really good uncommon buildaround from retail.

The missing white one first:

Teenager wants to fight! {W}
Enchantment — Class
I - When this class enters, you may put a Pokémon with mana value 1 onto the battlefield.
{1}{W}: II - Whenever a Pokémon you control attacks alone, it gets first strike until end of turn.
{2}{W}: III - Whenever a Pokémon you control attacks alone, it gets double strike until end of turn.

It's supposed to push the exalted style deck and for flavor reasons work with the three Ratatas in the cube, which are alls 1-mana 2/1s.

Last edited:
And I would also like some feedback on these two bue classes:

Fisher wants to fight! {U}
Enchantment — Class
I - When this class enters, create a Magikarp (0/1 blue water type)
{1}{U}: II - Whenever you discard a card, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target water Pokémon.
{2}{U}: III - At the beginning of your endstep, draw a card then discard a card.

Mechanic wants to fight! {U}
Enchantment — Class
I - When this class enters, you get ee (two energy).
{2}{U}: II - Whenever an electric or steel Pokémon enters under your control, draw a card. This ability triggers only once each turn.
{2}{U}: III - You can pay eee instead of paying the mana cost of electric or steel Pokémon spells you cast.

Last edited:
Okay here comes the first batch

Thank you once again to @Schafkurai and @Onderzeeboot for helping me getting started with Card Conjurer variant.

Bloomburrow gave us this card.

It is not laughing at you. It is laughing as you. Some of you know that I am all about public service. So when I cast this card in my Aragorn, King of Gondor Duel Commander deck I like to give my opponent and spectators an easier board state to comprehend. Hence I wanted to make custom cards to replace the Mockingbird so it could actually laugh as you.

BCG25.png

As you can see, I gave them flying and made them Birds.
And of course, gave them Mockingbird's wings.
Here's some more. I'll only share very very few of them to not spam up the forum. But I have one for each creature I can copy with the bird.

BB25.pngDA25.png

We remove the useless text that can never come into effect with Mockingbird. But we keep any flavor text the card might have.

MR25.png

Oh and did you know that you can actually copy a man-land if it has been animated?
If you do, it will become a non-creature even though you copied it as creature.
But you can get an additional Celestial Colonnade, Hall of Storm Giants or Restless Bivouac for one mana if they are already animated.

RA25.png

I didn't know how to give the colored lands the correct colors on Card Conjurer. Feel free to pitch in with help if you know how to <3

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, here's the target:
1726430331878.png

So in the "regular" menu for card frames, you scroll down until you hit "lands":
1726429521934.png

To do a multicolor land like this, you'll want to have the base frame of the card be the white land
1726430370043.png
And to add the blue stuff on the right, you want to select the blue land, and on the right add the "Pinlines" and the "Rules" to the right half of the card:
1726430447174.png

That should give you the multicolor land frame. You can also do this with the typeline and title bar, but looking at the printing LCI Restless Anchorage, it looks like they don't do that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
To do a multicolor land like this, you'll want to have the base frame of the card be the white land
View attachment 9940
Actually, if you do the white frame as the base, you get a white title and type bar, which you don't want. I always start with a colorless land as the base, then add (in this case) the full white rules and pin lines, and then only the right half for the blue rules and pin lines. Alternatively you can start with a white base, but then you have to add the colorless title and type bar.

Last edited:
RA25.png

@Chris Taylor @Onderzeeboot
See I already started with that strat.

1. I added land card frame.
2. I added white pinline.
3. I added white rules text box.
4. I added blue right side pinline.
5. I added blue right side rules text box.

This is the result I got. So I chose to go with the more colorless version because I honestly think this results look like poop :p
What do you think?