General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

CML

Contributor
ah but they have a good personality.

i've been wondering the same though, any ideas? it might have to do with my chauvinism towards 3's and 4's but i actively try to limit them. the funny thing is these are the good decks and the bad decks i draft often have the sultry and sinuous curves of Scarlett Johansson

CML

Contributor
the colors are numerically balanced, there are historically few 3's and 4's in my cube, and most of the good decks lately have not had green. forealz help me

CML

Contributor
hehe, i'm not too anal about it, i just keep a tally because otherwise i end up with 10 extra green cards.

really though guys please help me

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It was surprisingly relevant, and drew me about ten cards over the course of three rounds. It actually helped that I had non-menacing 1/2 Deathrite Shamans and 0/1 Blood Artists early on, as they would often go unblocked and net me at least one card draw in those games. Though the most common case was T1 Gravecrawler, T2 Nope It's Totally a Ninja!

The card has always been decent-to-good here, but I run a lower power list than most, so your mileage may vary.

Laz

Developer
Recorded a list to post from our New Years Eve cube and beer session.

Esper Value

And these:
Worldweave.png
Worldweave.png

I knew having all of the blue card draw dump cards into the graveyard would pay off eventually!

Apparently one of the wins was stolen (according to anecdote), as, game one against a RB aggro deck, this deck was dead for 2-3 turns to a miracled Thunderous Wrath. The shot had been called, but the Thunderous Wrath never appeared. As they were shuffling up for game two, the RB player's first round opponent came over, and she handed him the Thunderous Wrath, with 'I think I stole this from you before...'

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Now that I have good enough internet for MODO (does anyone really have good enough internet for MODO?), I've been Holiday Cubing while I still can.

3-0:

cyoOgTl.jpg

which culminated in this:

LNvPM5Z.jpg

I StPed his Metamorph-Sphinx, Relic-Wardered his Dynamo, put SoFaF on my Cloudskate and attacked, then had Armageddon with FoW backup.

Currently playing with this:

bheMi3r.png

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Simic Tempo

This deck. This. Deck. This is what my cube is about, and I don't know why it works so differently here than elsewhere.

1) Daze. Awesome counterspell. Blowout after blowout.

2) Delver. Flip. Brainstorm on upkeep. Super threat. I can't understand why it sucks everywhere else. This was even with Hannes snatching up the other two Brainstorms.

3) Bonfire of the Mothefucking Damned. This card was fun. Super fun. I never miracled it, but even the prospect of having it in my deck was goddamn exhilerating. I hardcast it on a few occasions, and there was always this fun tension of how much to cast it for or how long to wait. Yes, I played it on one red source. Yes it was exciting trying to put all the pieces together. The one time I assembled the combo (Brainstorm + Bonfire) I got the Brainstorm stripped from my hand via Thoughtseize. Punished for not keeping U open. So cool that it happened though.

4) Shardless Agent's best cascade was into Augur of Bolas... which whiffed.
Anyways, the deck was a blast to play, I went 2 wins and 1 tie, which was the best record of the evening.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Turn 2 Lotus Cobra, Turn 3 pass with Scalding Tarn uncracked, Cryptic Command their spell. Surprisingly satisfying.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also, Eric points out I was playing way too few spells, which is probably correct, but somehow it worked out. I am not sure that's the most sound argument, but...

Simic Tempo

This deck. This. Deck. This is what my cube is about, and I don't know why it works so differently here than elsewhere.

1) Daze. Awesome counterspell. Blowout after blowout.

2) Delver. Flip. Brainstorm on upkeep. Super threat. I can't understand why it sucks everywhere else. This was even with Hannes snatching up the other two Brainstorms.

3) Bonfire of the Mothefucking Damned. This card was fun. Super fun. I never miracled it, but even the prospect of having it in my deck was goddamn exhilerating. I hardcast it on a few occasions, and there was always this fun tension of how much to cast it for or how long to wait. Yes, I played it on one red source. Yes it was exciting trying to put all the pieces together. The one time I assembled the combo (Brainstorm + Bonfire) I got the Brainstorm stripped from my hand via Thoughtseize. Punished for not keeping U open. So cool that it happened though.

4) Shardless Agent's best cascade was into Augur of Bolas... which whiffed.
Anyways, the deck was a blast to play, I went 2 wins and 1 tie, which was the best record of the evening.

Two wins and a 1-1 tie against me, mr wadel, because you didn't want to play the last game ;)

I thought we were going with J-Wadds (perhaps we can fit a 'z' in there?), much less margin for error! Also, a 1/3 chance of whiffing with Shardless seems high. This is actually the reason I've been on the fence about it, since the decks it wants to be in typically wants to play a decent suite of 2-mana counters. Also, I don't play Ancestral Vision. However, I love the card, how has it been working out for you?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have in the past had much more success with Shardless, but it's very context sensitive. Sometimes you have a deck that is Cascading into Bob, Jitte, Stoneforge, Goyf all day. This was really not the deck for it, and it's well possible that I should have been playing one of the other 3-drop fliers in my pool (Pestermite, Stitched Drake).

Mystical Tutor feels really dumb and I'll be taking it out for Mana Leak or another Brainstorm. Multiple Brainstorms in the pool was awesome, and I don't miss Preordain / Ponder at all. There are just so many more interactions with Brainstorm. In my deck alone I had: Delver, Bonfire, Shardless Agent cascade set-ups, Augur of Bolas set-ups, 3 fetchlands.

CML

Contributor
watch out, belgium: that augur is hitting 46% of the time

i'm pretty sure shackles is one piece of the puzzle here

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Shackles was sweet. Good answer to Bitterblossom. I even cut one of my Utility Lands (Shelldock Isle) to play another Island.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I'll actually be adding Auger to my cube, except he'll look at 3 cards. That card has been nothing but aweful for me in it's current incarnation