Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Since at least one of your drafters will ask this question:
You can't trample onto a planeswalker with it. Un rules specifically say so :(
(Unstable was Riiiiiiiiiiiight before the "any target" change)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Since at least one of your drafters will ask this question:
You can't trample onto a planeswalker with it. Un rules specifically say so :(
(Unstable was Riiiiiiiiiiiight before the "any target" change)

Well, the reminder text is on the card and entirely accurate, so I'm okay with that I think :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also:
shimmerdragon.jpg
arcanistsowl.jpg
syrkonradthegrim.jpg

These all seem sweet.
I get that Heart of Darkness over here has a ton of words on him, but once you parse it, he plays well with both bloodsoaked champion, grapple with the past and oversold cemetary, which is about half my cube.

I have zero interest in food and food-matters themes. Which is a shame since clue tokens are completely my jam

Like I said, this food isn't very good :p.

Also:
shimmerdragon.jpg
arcanistsowl.jpg
syrkonradthegrim.jpg

These all seem sweet.
I get that Heart of Darkness over here has a ton of words on him, but once you parse it, he plays well with both bloodsoaked champion, grapple with the past and oversold cemetary, which is about half my cube.

Syr Konrad also seems to work with Discarding Creatures. He's secretly another Faith of the Devoted!

Him+Call the Bloodline+Knight Payoffs seems like a good basis for a new Tribal Archetype. Look out Haakon, cause here we come!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Konrad is worded strangely.
Whenever a creature dies
or a creature card is put into a graveyard form anywhere but the battlefield

is this just not "whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere?"

bxnxizt.png

Sorry for the lousy Arena screenshot, but this new friend has really been impressing me in Brawl, more than I expected - the land comes in untapped, and then you get the large idiot later. Might be worth considering.

I don't know... 7 Mana seems a bit steep for this guy considering the other great cube able creatures we have.

I think playing with a card and having it be good warps one's perception of every card. The Brawl Pre-Cons aren't exactly that high powered compared to most cubes. I mean, Marauder's Axe is literally in one of the decks.

That said, this card seems far from bad. If he's been putting up good results, I'd give him a test!

Black cube is looking forward to adamant for black and some quad-hybrid goodies. Really excited for those to push my devotion theme after I didn't get them in RTR.

Lots of sweet stuff so far. Also a lot of stuff for my secondary cube idea. Which will continue to torture me as I continue to not build it.

Would you guys classify that quad-hybrid as white, blue, azorius, or other? Please answer quickly. Kappa.

Black cube is looking forward to adamant for black and some quad-hybrid goodies. Really excited for those to push my devotion theme after I didn't get them in RTR.

Lots of sweet stuff so far. Also a lot of stuff for my secondary cube idea. Which will continue to torture me as I continue to not build it.

Would you guys classify that quad-hybrid as white, blue, azorius, or other? Please answer quickly. Kappa.

Azorius. If it's a hybrid card with more than two mana symbols it's probably not being cast outside a deck of those colors.

It was a joke cus the hybrid conversation just ruined the other thread lol.

Although now we have Vandal vs New Guy in this thread. Can't escape the minutia.

I got the joke. Unlike the other hybrids, however, these "Four-Brids" aren't really workable outside of their respective guild or monocolor decks. In this case, there is a fairly cut-and-dry answer.

Your black cube will probably be able to make use of the Black Four-Brids, actually!

In other news, I have been reading "Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest" by Kate Elliot. It's quite good. Rowan and Will are Pre-Ignited Teenagers in the first 5 chapters, but there is a significant time skip between chapter 5 and six. I'm not sure when the story is taking place compared to the rest of the lore yet. I know it's happening after Magic 2015's story articles since Garruk already has Jace's Binding Hedron lodged in his shoulder. This story might be filling in the "Gap of Garruk" between the 2-5 in-universe years between his last appearance and now.

Ya. Black cube loves them. Enables mono-black and 2c decks are really common. Hoping for some good ones. The UW is a decent mid power +1 and the RW is maybe a combat nightmare, similar to a shade. Right around the power level I'm looking to be at, I think. Sometimes I have a hard time determining what power level I'm actually at lol.

Konrad is worded strangely.
Whenever a creature dies
or a creature card is put into a graveyard form anywhere but the battlefield

is this just not "whenever a creature card is put into a graveyard from anywhere?"

I think this is the new way of doing it. Remember Drake Haven also had that stupid extra line of text:

Could easily have been “Whenever you discard a card.”

I've heard that the reason is that creature cards don't become creatures until they enter the battlefield. When you mill it it's still just s creature card hence the strange wording.

I'm in love with the adventures and Order of Midnight is already in my cube basically.

Really exited to see more of these creature-sorceries. Especially for blue and red. Do we already know, if they count as sorceries in the graveyard for spell recursion?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm in love with the adventures and Order of Midnight is already in my cube basically.

Really exited to see more of these creature-sorceries. Especially for blue and red. Do we already know, if they count as sorceries in the graveyard for spell recursion?

Yup, we do know and no they don't.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/throne-eldraine-mechanics-2019-09-04

Relevant quote: "While Beanstalk Giant is on the battlefield, just ignore the Adventure and all its text. While the card is in your hand, your graveyard, your library, even exile, it has only the characteristics of the creature, not the Adventure. For example, if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find a creature card, you can find Beanstalk Giant. But if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find an instant or sorcery card, you won't be able to find Fertile Footsteps."

So, works with prowess, does not work with Rise from the Tides.

Anyone else annoyed that there's plenty of space for adventure reminder text on a lot of these cards and they chose not to put it? I either have to not use adventures or explain it to every player who doesn't constantly attend to new card types who uses my cube.

Anyone else annoyed that there's plenty of space for adventure reminder text on a lot of these cards and they chose not to put it? I either have to not use adventures or explain it to every player who doesn't constantly attend to new card types who uses my cube.

Actually, most of the non-showcase adventure cards have reminder text. Only a couple of the wordy one's don't have reminder text in paper. The special "storybook" showcase prints don't have reminder text, but they're just blinged versions of the normal cards. For example:
en_EfDxtmpS3k.png
en_pu1CyUVKNE.png

The normal version of the Beast has reminder text, while the special print does not.

P.S. I really like Kev Walker as an Artist, but I kind of prefer Tyler Walpole's art for Lovestruck Beast. I'm sure the Walpole print is going to be more expensive to get, but I'm kind of considering it.

Adventures I want to see:
-Cancel on a Knight
-Demystify on a green Knight
-Shock on a Knight
-Reprisal on a Knight
-Steelshaper's Gift on a Knight
-Serum Visions on a guy
-Anticipate on a guy
-Murder on a guy

Cool Adventures we already have:
-Smelt on a Knight
-Rampant Growth on a guy
-Half of a Night's Whisper on a guy
-Disentomb on a guy
-Fugitive Wizard on a Wayward Swordtooth

I really want to be able to go all in on Knights in the cube (at least for a little while) after this set. I think that Arthurian Legend and Medieval Warfare has a really cool look to it. Since my most popular draft archetype right now is Tribal Zombies, I think another flavorful tribal deck would be really well-received by my drafters.

Thank God @ Train. Guess the spots I looked mostly had the fancy ones. The fancier ones do look REALLY nice, for the most part.

I've been running Haakon and a handful of friends for quite a while in BW. Any knights they give us are big to me.

Yup, we do know and no they don't.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/throne-eldraine-mechanics-2019-09-04

Relevant quote: "While Beanstalk Giant is on the battlefield, just ignore the Adventure and all its text. While the card is in your hand, your graveyard, your library, even exile, it has only the characteristics of the creature, not the Adventure. For example, if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find a creature card, you can find Beanstalk Giant. But if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find an instant or sorcery card, you won't be able to find Fertile Footsteps."

So, works with prowess, does not work with Rise from the Tides.

Okay, that makes the most sense I guess. Would feel a bit like cheating if your creature dying would fuel rise and the like. Anything else known about the mechanic, like how many there will be or if some colors will have more/less?

I'd like double digits in each color :D

Okay, that makes the most sense I guess. Would feel a bit like cheating if your creature dying would fuel rise and the like. Anything else known about the mechanic, like how many there will be or if some colors will have more/less?

I'd like double digits in each color :D

Well, we've seen cards with adventure in every color except white so far, and given the theme of the set, it would be odd if white didn't get any adventures. I think double-digits in each color might be a little much, but I'd be surprised if each color didn't have at least 4.