Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

faeofwishes.jpg

I want to curve this into Drake Haven into activating this thing's ability into making 2 drakes.

The ability to grab sideboard tech is just gravy!

What is that statline? 1/4 flying for 2 is puuuushed. I guess WotC decided that giving their cool weird effects decent bodies ensures that they see play. Clearly a plant for BO1, but cube will take it.

Yes, I will be blocking that Goblin Chainwhirler, no, you can't do anything about it.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about this guy is the actual wishboarding mechanic. If I were to run this, it would be for discarding decks to gain some more legs, not to give control decks access to all the random spells and planeswalkers they wanted to shove into the mainboard but couldn't. I'm afraid this could be a bit too good in some regards, despite the fact that I think it's cool.

Someone convince me black castle is actually good. Like, a card draw land is awesome, but

The aggro decks won't have enough mana to use it or want it to come in tapped. They'd rather recur a one drop.

Midrange decks might need it if their life total isn't being pressured. And if it is, they're going to regret the tapped land,

Control is willing to use it, but if they're not already losing pretty badly, they're going to have some cards in hand. Maybe in a poor control game you're out of cards and need this land, but you'd rather have any spell with the word "draw" and a number on it.

Seems like a mediocre plan B for every style of deck unless I'm really missing something. It seems super rare that my players are at a fine life total with few cards in hand.

For reference, Arch of Orazca isn't close to being on my radar and this is like phyrexian mana Arch.

COMING THIS FALL
URBAN EVOLUTION 2:
Escape to the Wilds

Realm-Cloaked Giant looks like something I'd try out, but may not keep it if I don't want an extra wrath. I'm not entirely convinced it's better than Fumigate.

Fae of Wishes looks sweet. The body needs to be the reason to put it in your deck, because a 4 mana wish is not remotely playable, and it's too clunky as a discard outlet. But the wish as a late game option is going to cause some good moments.

Someone convince me black castle is actually good. Like, a card draw land is awesome, but

The aggro decks won't have enough mana to use it or want it to come in tapped. They'd rather recur a one drop.

Midrange decks might need it if their life total isn't being pressured. And if it is, they're going to regret the tapped land,

Control is willing to use it, but if they're not already losing pretty badly, they're going to have some cards in hand. Maybe in a poor control game you're out of cards and need this land, but you'd rather have any spell with the word "draw" and a number on it.

Seems like a mediocre plan B for every style of deck unless I'm really missing something. It seems super rare that my players are at a fine life total with few cards in hand.

For reference, Arch of Orazca isn't close to being on my radar and this is like phyrexian mana Arch.

I feel like the opportunity cost is just so low that if you have the space for it that it's worth an inclusion. I've had many games in various formats come down to topdeck wars once both sides ran out of gas and anything that you can do additionally to mitigate that seems like a complete plus. Worst case scenario is it's not a basic swamp if that matters for any synergies in your Black cube. If that doesn't matter? Then this is no different than playing another Swamp like 99% of the time.

I feel like Arch is worse because it's longer to get it online + uses up 6 whole lands to draw that card. No life drawback, but sometimes you just need cards right then and there. I only play Arch in my mono-red EDH deck because, well, mono-red. Having that kind of resource available on a land slot is just gravy. If it's competing with other lands that you think are better then it might not get there, but if you're just on the fence about it I'd definitely try it out.

That's because the lands on Ixalan are the exception.

Hold it right there mister. You don’t have ten (eleven) exceptions to a rule. Then it is no longer a rule.

Because the ten on Ixalan start as Legendary Enchantments. They're not a part of your land base so much as they are just spells.

And why where the Ixalan lands not just non-legendary artifacts and enchantments on the front so they would also be non-legendary on the back?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hold it right there mister. You don’t have ten (eleven) exceptions to a rule. Then it is no longer a rule.

And why where the Ixalan lands not just non-legendary artifacts and enchantments on the front so they would also be non-legendary on the back?

There aren't ten (eleven) exceptions, they made one exception; an exception for the concept of legendary permanents representing significant events that took place on Ixalan and the location of those events, with the events turning them into important places. That one exception led to multiple cards, true, but it's still only one exception. All of those other examples I've given from numerous sets since M2014 represent the norm, not that one batch of cards from Ixalan that all follow the same pattern and concept.

And the reason we have these legendary permanents in Ixalan, is because, as I just said, they were concepted that way. It was a flavor decision. There is one blood fast that got famous, because Arguel found the Temple of Aclazotz on this blood fast! It's what made this blood fast legendary. Hadana climbed the Winged Temple of Orazca only once! It's these legendary feats that are captured in legendary enchantments, by flavorful concept, and the lands simply follow suit in also being legendary.

Anyway, that's my take. I don't work for Wizards, so who knows if I'm right. I'ld bet money on it that I am though ;)

Fair enough. Well I know there IS a reason. I just don’t agree with it.

Why do we even have legendary cards if we choose to exclude some card types when they make the most flavor sense?

Maybe I am just buyest (how is that word spelled?). I want legendary lands for my Bant legendary/historic theme and lands are super important here. Also I am a Vorthos lover and expert and feel hurt they are selling out their story/flavor in order to sell more packs. We all know it would be foil to run 4 copies of these lands if they were legendary => hurt sales. Now people will feel like they need a lot more of them. Lastly I don’t play Standard, Modern, Legacy or Vintage and thus I do not care if the downside to a land is that you can only have 1 copy. Cuuuuuuuube ❤️

Fair enough. Well I know there IS a reason. I just don’t agree with it.

Why do we even have legendary cards if we choose to exclude some card types when they make the most flavor sense?

Maybe I am just buyest (how is that word spelled?). I want legendary lands for my Bant legendary/historic theme and lands are super important here. Also I am a Vorthos lover and expert and feel hurt they are selling out their story/flavor in order to sell more packs. We all know it would be foil to run 4 copies of these lands if they were legendary => hurt sales. Now people will feel like they need a lot more of them. Lastly I don’t play Standard, Modern, Legacy or Vintage and thus I do not care if the downside to a land is that you can only have 1 copy. Cuuuuuuuube ❤️

"Biased"

You can always scribble on "legendary" on to the card with a sharpie!

it's really quite easy to cast. A 4 power turn 4 creature curves this into T5 (with GG to spare for something else). Seems like it can get out of hand pretty easily to me..

Adventure is really, really good for control decks. Get all your spells at seemingly no downside to mana cost, and then have threats to poop out as needed later in the game!