Sets [FRF] Fate Reforged spoilers

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Why is everyone on mtgsalvation calling this broken? Am I missing something?

Surely it's price on launch will be way too high to consider acquiring it for my battle box. That black uncommon though? Fits right into my Mardu section. What a lovely card!

Not been to mtgsalvation, but it converts action into a form of tempo and breaks symmetrical damage effects.

The 4 mana buyback is pretty sweet too.

I like the dragon, despite the hexproof. He's the perfect bomb for U/B in the kind of cube lists I like: underpowered. Still wondering what their plan is for making dragons a bit more common for the sake of "dragons matter" cards. Maybe a cheap uncommon cycle?

Thank god for changelings in cube.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
As with most themes it all rests on the cheap enablers. I'd love it if Dragon Tribal could be a thing, but we'll see.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Marang Prowler seems great for my BUG cube, need more weird shit that can be played from the grave.
I like that card, but I doubt its got the power level for my cube, unfortunately.

Fuck that white mythic. Overloaded here is an understatement. Like Brimaz from last year, any "cool synergy" the card has is overshadowed by insane base powerlevel.

Why is everyone on mtgsalvation calling this broken? Am I missing something?

Surely it's price on launch will be way too high to consider acquiring it for my battle box. That black uncommon though? Fits right into my Mardu section. What a lovely card!

It's very breakable. I believe it can help you go infinite any number of ways; and , perhaps?
Seems like WotC is pushing Jeskai as the broken,combo wedge.

sorcererofthehunt.jpg

"Sorcerer of the Hunt"
Haste
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player put +1/+1 counter on it.
Ability: Draw a card for each creature with power 4 or greater you control.

Neat.
monasterymentor.jpg

Vomit

sorcererofthehunt.jpg

"Sorcerer of the Hunt"
Haste
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player put +1/+1 counter on it.
Ability: Draw a card for each creature with power 4 or greater you control.

Neat.
monasterymentor.jpg

Vomit
Lots of cheap, interesting mythics in this set. I like it.

Btw the sorceror's ability is active when ferocious I think. Isn't it already 4 power though?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's very breakable. I believe it can help you go infinite any number of ways;
and , perhaps?
Seems like WotC is pushing Jeskai as the broken,combo wedge.
Oh ew. I hadn't thought of High Tide. That's pretty filthy (if you can do something with the mana, like Stroke someone or so).

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
WHY DO THE TOKENS HAVE PROWESS? THE CARD IS ALREADY GOOD, WHY JUST THROW IN RANDOM EXTRA POWER? FOR GIGGLES?

Shu Yun is a total slam dunk auto-include, though. Pump and doublestrike is the only combo deck I support.

Got a boros charm? Not sure if you want to use the double strike mode or haul four damage in the face of your opponent? Got mana to spare? Then why not choose both! You even get to play the best color in magic, to boot!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
There are quite a few 5-word cards already, the best for Cube being Knight of the Holy Nimbus and Knight of the White Orchid. Notable 4-worders include Isamaru, Hound of Konda; Soldier of the Pantheon; Champion of the Parish; Heir of the Wilds; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; Brimaz, King of Oreskos; Doran, the Siege Tower; Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

New spoilers:

mardustrikeleader.jpg

Seems... ok?

flamewakephoenix.jpg

Hard to imagine a conventional red deck where this is better than Chandra's Phoenix, but it's a more fun card overall IMO.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Chandra's Phoenix returning to hand is a huge difference, this saves {1}{R} per recursion assuming you didn't want to return it to hand to discard it for some reason. In my experience Chandra's Phoenix is a little clunky because usually burn is aimed at blockers and this might be slightly superior? Maybe not, but its pretty close.