Sets [FRF] Fate Reforged spoilers

This phoenix is cool- the recursion being so cheap is sweet. Casting some haste dragon then filling the skies with these guys sounds awesome.
More spoilers:
brutalhordechief.jpg

Almost Master Warcraft? Sweet. This guy makes your team hit so hard.
mardushadowspear.jpg

Pulse tracker, which was never that exciting, except you can re-buy champion of the parish triggers or something with dash?
supplantform.jpg

Cool card, idk about playability.
citadelsiege.jpg

Prison term-ish control mode, slow as balls not-control mode?

CML

Contributor
There are quite a few 5-word cards already, the best for Cube being Knight of the Holy Nimbus and Knight of the White Orchid. Notable 4-worders include Isamaru, Hound of Konda; Soldier of the Pantheon; Champion of the Parish; Heir of the Wilds; Thalia, Guardian of Thraben; Brimaz, King of Oreskos; Doran, the Siege Tower; Edric, Spymaster of Trest.

New spoilers:

mardustrikeleader.jpg

Seems... ok?

flamewakephoenix.jpg

Hard to imagine a conventional red deck where this is better than Chandra's Phoenix, but it's a more fun card overall IMO.

one with creatures or something

Dom Harvey

Contributor
In your standard Goblin Guide-Stormblood Berserker red deck, how often can you trigger ferocious? Even some of the 4 drops like Hellrider or Bloodbraid Elf don't activate it.

You can bring back the phoenix with the red mythic, butcher, sarkhan, stormbreath, sometimes rabblemaster, random prowess dudes...so it seems like it's about chandra's phoenix level in the power department.

sometimes rabblemaster

Not even. You can only bring this back in the step rabblemaster makes his token. He doesn't get his power buff until attackers are declared.

I like that they've moved away from "at the beginning of your upkeep" and "return to your hand at great cost" phoenix abilities because they blow.
In your standard Goblin Guide-Stormblood Berserker red deck, how often can you trigger ferocious? Even some of the 4 drops like Hellrider or Bloodbraid Elf don't activate it.

I don't think it's that unlikely. Pretty much any equipment, anthems, offensive auras/bestows, and a few 4-drops will give you a 4-power guy. It's not unthinkable but IMO a 2/2 flying haste for {1}{R}{R} isn't so desirable I want multiples, and chandra's plays nicer in more decks. Or at least ones I care about. (It can block!)

Warden of the First Tree {G}

Creature - Human

{1}{W/B}: Warden of the First Tree becomes a Human Warrior with base power and toughness 3/3.
{2}{W/B}{W/B}: If Warden of the First Tree is a Warrior, it becomes a Human Spirit Warrior with trample and lifelink.
{3}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}: If Warden of the First Tree is a Spirit, put five +1/+1 counters on it.

1/1

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Power level is kinda low. I get its flexible, but most people aren't tripping over themselves to get Kalonian Tusker into there aggro decks, they certainly aren't going to want to pay even more for the same effect. It gets human points I suppose. Do big green decks actually want this effect? I get that it looks like it cost 1 mana and one drops are scarce, but it seems really mediocre.

I'm not saying I'm not going to play it, but I'm not expecting it to impress.

I like that it is a solid turn 1, 2, or 3 play. I dislike that all it does for 4 mana is gain two keywords. But it isn't bad. Especially if you have ways to throw counters on it I guess. It's definitely the most disappointing of the mythic hybrid cycle. But only because the others seem playable even without their hybrid ability. This one is completely reliant on it.

First wave of non-rare dragons
wardscaledragon.jpg
mindscourdragon.jpg
noxiousdragon.jpg
shockmawdragon.jpg
destructordragon.jpg

Not very exciting for the average cube- why death triggers?

tasigurthegoldenfang.jpg

I don't like this guy's activation any more than regular old azure mage.

wardenofthefirsttree.jpg

Just to give an image in-thread. I don't hate it but I'm not convinced I like it enough. As Generic said, he might as well be a WB hybrid card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Thoughts about a few cards so far:
whispererofthewilds.jpg

This is a high reward 2cc accellerator I can get behind. Could be interesting. I also could be wrong.

brutalhordechief.jpg

I know black wants this effect less than red does (Hellrider), but the incedental lifegain and the fact that this lets suiciding in bloodsoaked champions to use up mana have a point gives it the nod for me. Love it through and through.
That ability is much worse than master warcraft was though, since it demands EVERYTHING brawl, whereas master warcraft could work as a semi-falter/killspell. You can still take advantage of it by having your disposable creatures get blocked and hopefully trade while the big guys get through, but your bord likely won't be that varied too often.
He's splashable too. Man, I love this guy more and more.

flamerushrider.jpg

I love Kiki-Jiki, but hate that it randomly combo kills people using cards I already love (Zealous Conscripts, Restoration Angel, etc). On the other hand, having these temporary tokens around is nice to get attacking triggers out for bloodsoaked champion and nice for feeding to sac outlets.
I really hope this card is good enough, because I love the effect, but heat shimmer never really cut it.

jeskaisage.jpg

Well there go my hopes of ever getting a blue 1 drop with prowress. Ugh. Blue is not allowed to ever get cheap good creatures.

honorsreward.jpg

I love this card and there needs to be more of it. Gain 4 isn't what I'm looking for, but put more bolster on random things!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
tasigurthegoldenfang.jpg

I don't like this guy's activation any more than regular old azure mage.

The body is better then Azure Mage's, but the whole diminishing returns on delve vs. other graveyard resources thing comes into play here. If one only gets so much "delve currency" to spend, is this where we want to spend it? That said, you'd have to hit a keyword or two for Soulflayer to be better then him. He seems ok, even though you'd prefer to live the dream of eating a vampire nighthawk to play Soulflayer.

The body is better then Azure Mage's, but the whole diminishing returns on delve vs. other graveyard resources thing comes into play here. If one only gets so much "delve currency" to spend, is this where we want to spend it? That said, you'd have to hit a keyword or two for Soulflayer to be better then him. He seems ok, even though you'd prefer to live the dream of eating a vampire nighthawk to play Soulflayer.

I think the new legend is fine as long as you Delve for at least 2 or 3. He's not really the kind of dude I see as needing to be delved for mac value unlike Soulflayer & others. That being said, I'm gonna try him out & see how it goes. Between him, soulflayer, dig through time, murderous cut, & Hootin' mandrils, that's only 5 delve spells. You could probably run all 5 if you manage your resources right.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I want a flying, double strike Soulflayer one day, which is why I'm going to run it over Tasigur. I think the moral of the story here is that Hooting Mandrils is going to get cut.

I just realized that mandrils is the ONLY green delve spell.

I really hope they make at least one good delve spell in green...otherwise they've failed their customers.