Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Wait are you sure?

I personally think 19 creatures in a 40 land deck is unrealistically optimistic, especially in the kind of deck that wants self mill think twice.

How many glasspool mimics and Shoreline scouts are in your cube that you can get more hits than that? Are you just running 14 land decks by default?

If I'm reading this right (and please tell me if I'm not), you need 27 creatures in your 40 card deck for a 97% chance to hit at least 1?
More like, I'm running 30 card decks with around 20 or so creatures in them. For fringe cases, it could go as low as 16 but that hasn't been the creature count for my self-mill decks. Also, a little over 60% of my Cube is creatures. So if you used Tapping at the window on my entire cube you'd still get around a 94% of hitting one creature.

It doesn't follow almost any of the normal Cubing rules besides that you draft and then play a relatively normal game of Magic. You're pretty close with the glasspool mimic idea though, but I've been working on this Cube since before Zendikar Rising. That's all I'll say for now. ;)

Apparently there are cards now you only can get from set or collectors boosters…
Source:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...d-products-innistrad-midnight-hunt-2021-09-02
View attachment 5216
From that set of 8 cards, this catches my eye as a potentially powerful draw engine for some types of red decks:
1631315920278.png
You can enchant yourself with this, drawing three cards a turn and pitching whatever's left at EOT. Mid-late game in a spells deck or some sort of GR midrange deck, that can be pure gas.

They should've made this Roar of the Ants and priced it appropriately...
Exactly my wishful thoughts when they revealed that one. But apparently a card with a lesser flashback cost than it's mana cost is too dangerous ("play design concerns" according to MaRo). I think that's kinda stupid considering how messed up cards they are printing these days. Roar of the Ants or two 3/3s for four mana wouldn't break any formats, not even standard, not even limited, I think.

The more I think about it: isn't this card like a really, really decent card draw spell for red? Flashback is almost like drawing a card, so it's basically discard one to draw three, right? Which is the rate of Rain of Revelation. Which is good, right?

The more I think about it: isn't this card like a really, really decent card draw spell for red? Flashback is almost like drawing a card, so it's basically discard one to draw three, right? Which is the rate of Rain of Revelation. Which is good, right?
I think it's pretty strong!
Yeah it's like drawing a card into your graveyard that you can cast from there.

And the card you can cast from your graveyard is also pretty good because it's 4 mana Inspiration with upside because you're no losing a card from casting it (the card itself) but instead you're discarding a card from the hand which can sometimes be better.

Last edited:
One card that was briefly mentioned in the thread that I actually really like:

It's just solid. And it gestures meaningfully towards Ye Olde Gx Token Deck without requiring you to build around it. Sometimes it's effectively a vigilant 4/3 for 2G that leaves behind a Clue when it dies, and that's a solid card right there.

One card that was briefly mentioned in the thread that I actually really like:

It's just solid. And it gestures meaningfully towards Ye Olde Gx Token Deck without requiring you to build around it. Sometimes it's effectively a vigilant 4/3 for 2G that leaves behind a Clue when it dies, and that's a solid card right there.
yeah i’m with you here. if tireless tracker didn’t exist, this would easily have its spot for me. very cool card that has broad applications as a synergy multi-pivot, and the power level is good but fair.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's kinda amazing that "We have Tireless tracker at home" is this good.
I feel like there's definitely room for both cards in an environment

In my minds eye there are 3 or 4 cards competing for just one slot of just the green 3s. Like

At least. All kinda stack up into the same place in my head. This is true for most of the green 3 slots for me, except maybe eternal witness and ramunap excavator. Section is loaded. Even courser of kruphix has direct competition now.
These are kind of a sliding scale of power too, which is nice because you can have a similar effect at any power level.
I think Ramunap Excavator is getting there too with the release of Eccentric Farmer

This custom could solve green 3s:

Tireless Tireless Tracker Tracker {2}{G}
Creature - Human Elf Human Scout Shaman Scout Token
Vigilance
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, create a Food token or a Treasure token or investigate or proliferate.
Whenever you sacrifice a token or control a token or someone says the word "token," put a +1/+1 token on this token.