Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

We already have one that is equivalent cost front and back, so the potential for one with a cheaper backside is definitely there.
View attachment 5064View attachment 5065
At a second look, that card is actually kinda interesting. For dredging or looting it away, you'll get a free Storm Crow, which is, all jokes aside, not too bad. But if you run Ninjas, the Drifter is an excellent ninjutsu enabler. It's evasive, cheap, and when it bounces back to your hand, you will get back "both halves" of the card.

Nobody posted this friend yet either!

Jadar-Ghoulcaller-of-Nephalia-MID-265.jpg

I'm excited. It's no Ophiomancer, but mostly in ways that are good things, although I do wish the tokens stuck around even if they could never block.

Decayed is nice, tokens without causing gridlock on the board. I expect it'll play very well! Jadar looks quite strong, lots of synergies and fosters dynamic combat. I like it.

This is quite the Young Pyromancer style card! (when/if it flips, the tokens also lose decayed, so become "normal" 3/3's)
1630613137015.png1630613142762.png
Doll Stitcher

2U

Creature - Human Wizard

Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token with decayed.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control three or more creature tokens, you may transform Doll Stitcher.

2/3

Toy Factory

Artifact

Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may transform Toy Factory.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Candlelit-Cavalry-MID-672.jpg

Okay so in case you're like me and were wondering what "Different powers" meant, it means creatures with different power.
Like this is 5 power, so if you have a 1 power creature and a 2 power creature, it'll get trample

Light-Up-the-Night-MID-672.jpg

Also this card has a bunch of words on it, but it looks like it plays well

Last edited:
Kinda hate the flavor text drawing attention to something very, very few people are going to do. Would have been cooler as like "Here's some teaser for the web fiction with a bit of a cliffhanger... Read the web fiction to find out more." This looks sloppy to me. Cool card, though.
We are now up to more than 50 % of this thread misunderstanding the mechanic at first sight.
I'm glad I'm already against DFCs, because this mechanic's been messy so far.
And I'm very hyped about disturb too.
Really doubt I'll change my opinion on DFCs, but this is gold as a design.
Okay so in case you're like me and were wondering what "Different powers" meant, it means creatures with different power.
Like this is 5 power, so if you have a 1 power creature and a 2 power creature, it'll get trample
Lol I very briefly thought "what the fuck is a power?!" before realizing it's our offensive stat. This mechanic is a huge miss for me. I don't think that controlling different size creatures is at all interesting. Pretty normal thing that happens during a game and I'm not sure why I'd be rewarded for it.

sigardachampionoflight.jpg

Push it, baby.

hauntedridgep.jpg
shipwreckmarshp.jpg

Even more allied lands. They better finish the cycle next set. As cards, they're fine. Nothing exciting, but pretty decent. Gorgeous cards.

arrogantoutlaw.jpg

Decent little life gain trigger. Somewhat aggressive in low power, as it gets some damage immediately.

famishedforagers.jpg

This one might be pretty cool. ETB play another spell or ETB rummage. Discard outlet in later turns. Shame the activation costs quite a bit. Might be hard to activate and afford a madness cost.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it's important to distinguish between transform cards (Search for Azcanta) which are mostly fine, MDFCs (Which are mostly just a pain, other than the Zendikar ones which play excellently)

I'm coming around is all I'm saying.

Kinda hate the flavor text drawing attention to something very, very few people are going to do. Would have been cooler as like "Here's some teaser for the web fiction with a bit of a cliffhanger... Read the web fiction to find out more." This looks sloppy to me. Cool card, though.

I don't think that's how it'll be printed, is it? Probably just a thing to avoid spoiling the story during spoiler season .

I don't think that's how it'll be printed, is it? Probably just a thing to avoid spoiling the story during spoiler season .
Oh. Maybe. Didn't consider it might be a spoiler season thing.
I want my duals to be aggro-friendly, so these are a very hard pass for me.
I've been more open to a variety of lands lately and could imagine using these. Surely someone wants them. Like I said, they're just fine. If these versions of the arts are cheap and they finish the cycle... I might have to try em. They look so good.

So, they changed slightly the werewolf mechanic just to have a token... it will be difficult to remember which werewolves have the old mechanic and which have the new one, in a Cube that has both... I would have preferred if they kept the same :(
I thought it was kind of stupid to change it. It's a little cleaner, but it doesn't seem like it's worth changing it now.
So the reason why they changed the day/night mechanic to use a token is so that they can have the "things are different at night" element of the set apply to single-faced cards as well as DFCs. For example, they've already shown off this card:
brimstonevandal.jpg

According to MaRo:
MaRo said:
2. We could make non-transforming cards care.

Daybound/nightbound creates a state that other cards can care about, even ones that don't transform. For example, we can make cards that get stronger based on whether it's day or night. In design, we tried both, but Set Design found that the flavor leaned on things being more powerful at night.

The other thing to note is that the transformation trigger is still the same, so even the old Werewolves that don't care about the day/night mechanic will still transform with their Daybound/Nightbound brethren. The only difference is that the new Werewolves will enter the battlefield transformed when it's night, while the old ones won't.

candletrap.jpg

I'm surprised no one has brought up this card yet. It seems like a good 1-mana removal spell for formats where Swords to Plowshares and friends are too good, but having removal for 1 mana is still desirable. This card does a decent job at helping to counter aggro threats, and it can also be used by aggro to stop large creatures from completely deterring small threats (although it does turn the big creature into a wall). This card looks a lot better than some of the other cards we've seen recently in this design space, and it feels good enough to me to warrant a test in my Cube.

The other thing to note is that the transformation trigger is still the same, so even the old Werewolves that don't care about the day/night mechanic will still transform with their Daybound/Nightbound brethren.
The transformation trigger is not the same. One triggers on spells cast on one's own turn, the other looks at spells cast on any turn.

ominousroost.jpg

BRAND NEW MECHANIC!!! Make tokens cheaper!!! "CAN'T BLOCK"!!!!!!!!!!

This looks like a fun build around in retail or a slow as hell cube. Quite a few of this effect or a closely related effect now. Could have been such a sick card at U. Not being able to block really, really nerfs the tokens midgame but the up front body would have been serviceable at U. Sharpie Cube?