Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

The question is what to cut for this?
If I end up running Can't Stay Away, I'm likely cutting Silverquill Command. I thought it would be a decent midrange spell, it was only ok. Command is cool, but 4 mana and sorcery speed is more than is really palatable for my base W/B decks.

The sadness is beginning to take its roots. The showcase frame, that I like so much, is only on the Day-Night cards that I don't think I'll run :(
It's actually on some of the warlock cards as well, such as the weird legend spoiled on Wednesday:
saryththevipersfang1.jpg

vampiresocialite.jpg

DRIP. What an outfit!! Solid card, too. Sadly tribal, but my cube might make it there with these two sets.

gisagloriousresurrectorp.jpg

Posting again for alternate art and to ask... Is it just me or that second ability is crazy strong? Card makes me nervous.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The sadness is beginning to take its roots. The showcase frame, that I like so much, is only on the Day-Night cards that I don't think I'll run :(
Fear not!
Dawnhart-Rejuvenator-showcase-equinox-MID-672.jpg

Granted I figure it'll be majority flip cards, but there's at least one non flip example.
Edit: Welp

The-Celestus-MID-672.jpg

Is this thing, kinda good?
the baseline darksteel ingot is one I've never been all that happy with (YMMV), but giving me the occasional free loot + gain 1, with the ability to (campus style) force that seems appealing, even at sorcery.

Gavony-Dawnguard-MID-672.jpg

This card reminds me a lot of Ranger-Captain of Eos. 3/3 Ward 1 is a nice body, and sure you don't get the card now, you can get more than one. Also serves as a human signal, which you might want.

i dunno, this might be better. it costs less, has flashback, and creates a large threat with trample.
I'd argue the biggest advantage is blocking immediately. Obviously a very different card, but it seems to be about the same ballpark power level to me. Nice to see flashback on it though, since it can be cast after self-milling it.

Yeah the flashback and blocking immediately are the real icing, so it'll fit into my mental note decks pretty well. I would argue that the mana does not matter as much (it does for holding up counterspells though), since unless you have some combo going down you likely will not cast this on 5. But yes the difference between 5 and 6 mana is a ton, 5 can reasonably go into an aggro deck as a finisher, 6 is wary to go in. But Rise from the tides makes double the power? It's a toss up. I'm definitely going to be testing seize the storm but it may just be too good compared to my other 5 drops, we'll see.

Also am I insane for thinking this is spicy??
consumingooze.jpg

Consuming Ooze's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyard and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.

At the beginning of your end step, create a green Ooze creature token with "This creature's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1."

It's a 5 mana Tarmogoyf that makes a Tarmogoyf on your end step. 100% too good for me, but some populate fun shenanigans for sure.

Last edited:
gisagloriousresurrectorp.jpg

Posting again for alternate art and to ask... Is it just me or that second ability is crazy strong? Card makes me nervous.
I think you need to have Gisa in play for her to reanimate all of the creatures, and they actually have to die in order to be exiled. I bet this is a total retail limited bomb and a fun card in EDH, but the window for interaction is large enough where I don't think it will be a problem in most environments. I think there are enough ways to play around this to make it an interesting sub-game but not feel oppressive, especially in Cubes with a lower power level. I definitely find this to be worse than Nightmare Shepherd.

en_8dVoJdoJ0W.png
en_cJjoOsVyy7.png

There was a time not too long ago when I probably would have put this card into my Cube as a reanimator and discard enabler that doubles as a finisher. As it stands, I don't have space for this in my Black section, but I really like this card and am excited to play it in MID draft and brawl.

en_EgupOWzJHT.png

Uuuuuh... It looks like Sigarda and Sorin are going to have a battle. I wonder what that is about!

Also am I insane for thinking this is spicy??
consumingooze.jpg

Consuming Ooze's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyard and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.

At the beginning of your end step, create a green Ooze creature token with "This creature's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1."

It's a 5 mana Tarmogoyf that makes a Tarmogoyf on your end step. 100% too good for me, but some populate shenanigans for sure.
Uh, you're not insane, this card is actually pretty good. It's not quite an actual Tarmogoyf because it only counts your graveyard and not both graveyards, but that might not be an issue by the time this comes down, especially in formats without much mana acceleration. Tarmogoyf has proven itself to be an extremely potent card in Cubes using contemporary design techniques, so a cross between a watered-down Tarmogoyf and Biogenic Ooze seems like a great top-end finisher for green decks.

Last edited:
Note with Seize the storm that the token comes in with the ability granting it power and toughness based on instants, sorcercies, and flashbacks. Its not a static size based on when you cast it, so it can grow bigger over time (and counts the Seize itself!). Pretty good card, and in red, so not really in competition with Rise, but available as another piece in that style of deck (a style I favor).

Style points for pounding out elemental -> zombies -> elemental on T5-6-7 with both cards

The big difference is it only counts your yard.
I've run customs in the past that count types in your yard only, and it matters more than you'd think
yeah i agree, however, being a 5 drop means you’ve got more time to make the initial ooze drop bigger. and i feel like this card can be directly compared to Titania, not that i would ever in a million years cut Titania, but i think they fill similar roles but in different ways that make them more or less desirable depending on specifics of your environment

Note with Seize the storm that the token comes in with the ability granting it power and toughness based on instants, sorcercies, and flashbacks. Its not a static size based on when you cast it, so it can grow bigger over time (and counts the Seize itself!). Pretty good card, and in red, so not really in competition with Rise, but available as another piece in that style of deck (a style I favor).

Style points for pounding out elemental -> zombies -> elemental on T5-6-7 with both cards
yeah these two cards together are a sweet curve topper couple for a UR Spells deck in lower power. i did not notice that it grows after the fact, very cool!

it’s all within the color combination, just not a combination of effects we get to see very often. i think that player designed Coldsnap instant is the only other white+blue looting effect that comes to mind

EDIT: generally speaking, white doesn’t discard cards, it can, but not often.

Last edited: